1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

How Many Use the Electronic Viewfinder for the GX1?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Reactions, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Reactions

Reactions Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2012
    Norcal
    Gabe
    i've been using it non stop since i purchased it.

i really like having it on at all times.

any prefer not to have it on?

i can see how it does take more space - damn that hump :biggrin:

*Edit*
    BTW if you weren't aware the LVF-2 can be found on B&H for $160 shipped.

Panasonic External Electronic Viewfinder for DMC-LX7 AND

• Like Like x 1
  2. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    I like the GX1 form factor, but would use the EVF most of the time on the GX1... thereby messing up the wonderful form factor.

Pany will likely strike gold if they bring us a GX2 which has a built-in EVF, as Sony has done it with the NEX7: great EVF quality, no hump, no add-on parts.

• Like Like x 1
  3. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    GX1 from Kenmore arriving Thursday; LVF-2 from B&H due Friday. Didn't even want to try without EVF option available.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    When I had the GX1 I used the LVF2 quit a lot, probably upwards of 80%.....it was such an improvement on the very average LVF1 I had attached to my GF1 and a total joy to use. But.....I always wanted an integrated viewfinder yet wasn't so keen on the DSLR styled form factor of the G and GH lines, nothing to do with photography purely aesthetics...so when the OMD came along with integrated viewfinder (amongst other things) I was sold. Despite the really cool tilting screen which is quite useful....I'm now still shooting 80-90%+ through the viewfinder.

I totally agree with you Don.....the first PEN or GX that comes both with a new gen sensor AND an integrated viewfinder will sell like hot cakes !

• Like Like x 1
  5. Loksi

Loksi Mu-43 Regular

Aug 1, 2010
    Sydney
    Ross
    I've just received my GX1 and LVF2, and I'm loving it! As everyone has indicated it is a massive improvement on the earlier VF1 which I also have and used with the GF1. Having said this, the LCD does appear brighter and much sharper(?) on the GX1. I'm now quite comfortable moving between my GH2 and the smaller GX1. All good :)

6. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    I started out not using it much, but then after trying it with a long telephoto, I like to use it all the time unless I am trying to appear less obvious. It really is very nice.
    I like OM-D's overall package a lot though. If GX-1 weren't so much cheaper right now, I might've gone for the OM-D instead :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    I use the EVF probably 90% of the time if not more. I love how you can also review images over the finder, unlike the EM-5 (someone correct me if you can?). I find that very helpful in higher ambient light situations. However I used it for the first 2k snaps, when I first had the camera. I did pretty well with the screen only considering I never had anything beyond an iphone to shoot with previously. Shooting at eye level is essential now to me for composition in most situations. Sometimes I need a different angle (especially with the 7-14) and I find using the screen useful.

Strangely enough I use the EM-5 screen much more often, with the tilt feature. I like the screen on that camera quite a bit more. A GX2 with a built-in finder and tilt screen would be amazing.

8. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    I use it quite a bit. However, my grab-and-go kit for small family events, etc., where I don't really want to bring everything, is just the GX1 body with the P20/1.7 and/or P14-42X (depending on expected lighting.) I don't mind it without the LVF-2, but do appreciate it when it is on. Like many others, I would prefer the integrated EVF, and I'd be more than willing to give up the "poppy-uppy" flash to get it. The hot shoe would be open anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  9. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    :2thumbs:

10. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I'm still waiting for the Micro Four Thirds version of this..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  11. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Wow !!

12. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    RT... what the heck is that? My dream m4/3 body?

• Like Like x 1
  13. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    Yes!!! Make that Panasonic, with true RF build and top m4/3 specs. An OVF option would be really cool.

14. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
  15. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Oh man... as I was looking at the photo I was thinking it may have been a 4/3 body, but my knowledge of 4/3 gear is about zero (obviously).

What the heck is taking Panasonic so long to create a m4/3 version of that????? Sheesh! :mad:

Actually, I'd prefer the 2012 m4/3 version have a top notch EVF such as the NEX 7 has. And let's make SURE it has an articulating LCD screen.

16. daringx

daringx New to Mu-43

Jul 18, 2012
    Coming from a Canon DSLR and looking for a smaller package, I have to say I don't miss the viewfinder. I used to be one to laugh at the P&S shooters holding their cameras at arm's length (and leaning backwards to get that extra 6" of distance instead of taking a step back!). But I really am liking the freedom the screen composition is giving me and I feel like I have more awareness of what is going on around me. I also enjoy the different perspectives now that my head doesn't have to be right up against the camera. That said, I'd really like an articulating screen, as long as it doesn't add bulk to the camera. A really super-thin screen should be pretty easy to make these days.

Darin

17. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I use the EVF2 most of the time. I like the option for a more compact camera, and I like the physical controls of the GX1. Works for me...YMMV.

18. Reactions

Reactions Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2012
    Norcal
    Gabe
    oh yes they'll strike gold and my wallet will be leaking money :tongue:

this stuff adds up!

i really do like the form factor of the OMD

even with the gx1 discounted at 399 plus the viewfinder at 160 - it's still far below that $1000 mark.

even so i know if i did get the omd i'd end up getting the expensive accessories (grip, etc).

so i'll wait it out :thumbup:

19. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Like many here, the first one to do a m43 rangefinder body with built-in EVF will get my money...almost no matter the cost. I was 95% of the way to getting a GX1 but wasn't happy with the hump disrupting the design and cost of the EVF.

20. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I got the LVF2 an GX1 at the same time, put the LVF2 on it immediately, and I haven't removed it yet... hahah. It does sort of ruin the sleekness of the form factor but it's hard to go without now that I'm a viewfinder believer.

I like having the EVF for stability, bright light, and I also find it makes the camera look less conspicuous while walking around if the LCD is blank.