How many times have you left M43 only to comeback?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Jonathan F/2, Jul 11, 2015.

1. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    So this is the second time I've left M43 for another system, only to be disappointed with other systems and come back. The first time I though I could go all Nikon and combine my Nikon FF kit with the Nikon 1 mirrorless system. That didn't work! More recently I tried going Sony for mirrorless, but I realized the investment into their FF system was way expensive on the lens side and the APS-C E-mount lenses (while having a few jewels), lacked the variety, depth, and cheaper cost of M43.

I'm glad Olympus released the E-M5 II, that camera literally killed my interest in bigger sensors due to the high resolution mode. I do a lot of nighttime still exposures, and that camera was exactly what I was looking for. I also own a Nikon D800 for my work, but trying to lug that body with a larger sized tripod (to handle the weight of that body), is a real pain. The E-M5 II and a lightweight carbon fiber tripod are great for keeping the weight down, while still churning out hi-res imagery!

While Micro Four-Thirds isn't the best in any one category, it sure does a lot of things well! Anybody else switched systems only to come back? :D

• Like Like x 1
  2. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Two years ago I bought my girlfriend a Samsung NX210 around the same time as I bought myself a Panasonic GX1. It was a good preview of different formats, and let me compare on a like-for-like basis. To be honest, there's very little difference in image quality, the GX1 actually does a little better in low light. I think the ultimate resolution of the Samsung is better. But it's so lens dependent, too.

As you say, M4/3 isn't the best, but whenever I think of the prices I would need to pay to get the same image quality I'm getting in M4/3 in either Fuji or Sony land, I find I'm pretty happy where I am. I have no intention of switching, and a lot of it is because the other systems just don't offer the lens that I want, and certainly not at the prices I want to pay.

...looking back, my post is entirely irrelevant to your post, since I haven't actually left M4/3 to come back. But I've considered straying! Seriously! I was going to buy an A7 instead of my GX7, but hated the lack of touchscreen and the bad focus peaking implementation and couldn't afford any of the decent lenses. There was no 28/f2 at the time.

3. VooDoo64

VooDoo64 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    Zagreb - Croatia
    Davor Vojvoda
    And here come excellent topic :)

I'm just thinking about switching to Nikon D750 + 24-120 f / 4 + 50 + 1.8 Sigma 150-600 + Tamron 70-200 2.8 non is

4. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I still have a Nikon FF kit. For certain task where you need solid C-AF, a huge backlog of lenses and reliability, you cannot beat Nikon (or Canon) for that. I still think Nikon/Canon gear are the best for work related task. Saying that, M43 is so good when it comes to size, lenses with excellent micro-contrast and Olympus metering/WB is really class leading.

If I were you, I'd still keep an M43 setup in your camera kit, but only use lenses that niche in-between your Nikon equipment so you don't have overlap.

5. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I've left and returned a number of times. I'm back again. I won't say I'll never leave again, but I will be surprised if I switch to a different interchangeable lens format. As the fixed lens options improve they will continue to tempt me.

6. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Switching or adding? FYI, the new Tamron 70-200 is in a different class than the old one. Tamron now has a trinity worthy of considering as an alternative to Nikon's. I think that's a first for any third party. I have the new 70-200 and am very happy with it though my f/4 Nikons are still my primary lenses.

7. VooDoo64

VooDoo64 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    Zagreb - Croatia
    Davor Vojvoda
    Switching ofc, Old used Tamron ( 70-200 2.8 without is ) I can buy for around 400$ and new one with IS is around 1600$ so for first one i would take cheaper because I never had FF so i dont know which lend i would use most ( now most used lens is 50-200/100-400 ), maybe I would take 70-200 Nikon but f/4 its light small i f/4 is like f/2 on 4/3

8. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Back on topic.

Not counting the RX100 I had for a short time, once. I tried the Fuji X-M1 for a short time and made a direct u-turn. But then again I also started down the m4/3 for my professional stuff and made a u-turn from that back to Nikon.

Now I'm pretty happy with the GM5 and small lens. Actually looking to sell my E-M10 for an LX100. Since getting the GM5 I mainly use the E-M10 for event details and some street type stuff. The LX100 should handle that.

9. Listener

Listener Mu-43 Regular

I arrived in March 2014 and have not left. I don't expect to leave unless a bridge camera comes along that does everything that I want as well as m43 gear.

10. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I look over the fence to see if the grass is greener often but with the arrival of the E-M5 II I am not going anywhere for a long time.

11. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

Once if you count selling a G2, for a Sony A57, while keeping the GF3 on the side, then selling the A57 for Fuji X-E1. Now thinking really hard about upgrading the GF3 to a GM1(or maybe GF7).

12. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Have you looked at the Nikon 1 J5? It's the first time Nikon seems to actually be using the same 1" sensor from the Sony RX series. And with the design it actually had me looking before I got the GM1/GM5. (still look every now and then:cautious::hide:)

13. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    I shoot with multiple systems and have only been shooting with m43 for a little over a year now. First with the E-M1 and now with the E-M5 Mk.II.

Although I like the m43 system quite a lot, I doubt it'll ever be the only system I would use.

I did however sell my FF Canon body and will sell off the lenses as I have no interest shooting DSLRs anymore.

• Like Like x 1
  14. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I can envision the day I sell off most of me Nikon FX stuff. But since I'm booked into 2016 and have had calls about 2017 it won't be tomorrow.

15. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    I'm not a pro, but ever since jumping on to M43 and selling all my Canon gear, I have not looked back, nor felt like I needed to. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    EM5 user since 2012, try many cameras like GX1, E-P3, E-PM2, Nikon J1, EOS M, X100S, GX7 and FZ1000, already sold them all but still have EM5 system, waiting EM1 mark II..

17. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I just joined, well six months ago. I considered Sony and Fuji, but the cost and variety of lenses brought me into m4/3. I don't foresee leaving anytime soon.

I will say, however, had the Fuji XT10 been released 6 months sooner, I may have went that route. It clicks all of the boxes that the XT1 or XM1 didn't. It still was hampered by the pricy X lenses, though. It would have made a hard decision even harder.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
  18. Wolfeye

Wolfeye Mu-43 Regular

Mar 20, 2015
    Iowa
    I use everything except the Sony mirrorless and Leica. I sold my E-M5 to fund something else, but eventually got an E-M10. Kept all my lens adapters. They came in handy when I came back. :) But as I always had my E-PL1 I never really left...

19. coffeecat

coffeecat Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 4, 2012
    SW England
    Rob
    Whilst I very much see the attraction of constantly changing kit or even systems, I can't see me ever doing it. I had the same Praktika film SLR for about 15 years. Then swapped to Canon EOS when DSLRs were just coming in, but even then used that one for 12 years. Now I've spent a few years building up a "stable" of mu43 kit, and my purchase rate (notwithstanding the occasional GAS attack) has dropped right off. I'm v v unlikely to be tempted by new bodies for a few years. SO I envisage keeping it a while, mostly till it breaks. Oh - and I've still got every camera I ever owned (even the ones that no longer work...).

20. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    I never left. I held on to 4/3rds for a while, then finally committed when I got the EM5. No camera/system is going to limit my ability at this point. I'm quite happy w/M43