How many times have you flipped brands?

PhotoCal

Mu-43 Veteran
Wow, all of these brand flips is making me think about a lot of wasted money. First of all, brand loyalty can be expensive. Second, anytime you "flip' you are probably losing money. I bet you wished you had some still.

I've never flipped brands. When an item has failed for whatever reason I've replaced it. Sometimes the same brand and sometimes not. It's about which product would work best for me at the time, not which brand.

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
Wow, all of these brand flips is making me think about a lot of wasted money. First of all, brand loyalty can be expensive. Second, anytime you "flip' you are probably losing money. I bet you wished you had some still.

I've never flipped brands. When an item has failed for whatever reason I've replaced it. Sometimes the same brand and sometimes not. It's about which product would work best for me at the time, not which brand.
Myself, and, I suspect a lot of others, flip gear before any problems develop. Using gear till it breaks down, while admirable, undeniably requires higher replacement costs, especially if (as with many digital cameras) the depreciated value of years-old gear is compared with the new models bought to replace it.

I'm not a fan of high gear turnover, and there were some pain points that caused me to make my last change, but there's a way to do it fairly economically... otherwise it wouldn't be so popular!

Too frickin many. Mostly in the early days of digital to keep up with technology.

I just started shooting Olympus due to deteriorating joints and back. I just can’t carry heavy gear anymore.

andy darbyshire

Mu-43 Regular
I started with a Yashica Pentamatic the after a few different cameras spent many years with Canon slr's the went Nikob with digital until 2016 then Olympus due to old age, can't see me changing again at my age

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
Started with old Argus C3, but got laughed at in college so I went to Pentax Spotmatic gear for a while. Then to Canon AE-1 which I didn't like because it felt plasticky, so off to Minolta (Both film and digital types.) who also went plasticky later on, but it had auto-focus, but then they disappeared. Had a Mamiya/Sekor C330 MF for a while, then to Nikon, then to Olympus from need of m43 lenses on a DJI Inspire II drone's camera, and now transitioning back to Nikon since Olympus sale/future uncertainy. There's a Ricoh weather film camera thing in there someplace too that I recently found in junk drawer. A Chinon 35mm too.

mcrosa

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Mike Crosa
I started with Olympus OM1 with a full complement of lenses and then when I made the switch stayed with Olympus. Now have the OMD EM1 MK II and do not plan on upgrading any more. Happy where I am and still have original OM glass. Happy camper.

PhotoCal

Mu-43 Veteran
Myself, and, I suspect a lot of others, flip gear before any problems develop. Using gear till it breaks down, while admirable, undeniably requires higher replacement costs, especially if (as with many digital cameras) the depreciated value of years-old gear is compared with the new models bought to replace it.

I'm not a fan of high gear turnover, and there were some pain points that caused me to make my last change, but there's a way to do it fairly economically... otherwise it wouldn't be so popular!

How in the world does using your existing gear longer cost you money?
I realize inflation increases prices slightly.

But if you are replacing things that don't need to be replaced then you are wasting money.

I suspect a lot of people who claim to make a profit on selling used gear are forgetting to mention their losses. It happens in Vegas, too.

In addition to the personal cost there is also the environmental cost of producing new products.
And people with GAS fuel that waste.
It also hurts competition, which hurts advancements in technology.

Armoured

Mu-43 Regular
I suspect a lot of people who claim to make a profit on selling used gear are forgetting to mention their losses.

Wait - who told you my strategy?

(Actually I never claim to make a profit overall - I just don't sell the equipment that's underwater. Ain't no mark-to-market in my cupboard.)

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
How in the world does using your existing gear longer cost you money?
I realize inflation increases prices slightly.

But if you are replacing things that don't need to be replaced then you are wasting money.

I suspect a lot of people who claim to make a profit on selling used gear are forgetting to mention their losses. It happens in Vegas, too.

In addition to the personal cost there is also the environmental cost of producing new products.
And people with GAS fuel that waste.
It also hurts competition, which hurts advancements in technology.
Simple, I usually buy used! Sell used for usually very small loss - sometimes part up pieces of kit and make a small profit.

I've definitely spent some money over the past ten years, but I suspect less than I have on nearly any other line item :)

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
I never flipped my professional event gear, Nikon DX then FX. I did used several different cameras with my Nikon gear for details and some grab shots.

But since about 2012 I've flipped between Olympus/Panasonic and Fuji a couple of times for casual stuff. I've also gone between ILC and fixed lens cameras (mainly the LX100 and X70, twice each).

Currently I'm pretty firmly in the Olympus m4/3 camp.

Rrybicki

Innocent bystander
Real Name
Russ
A lot. Started with Nikon 1, went to Nikon DX, various m4/3, back to Nikon DX, and am moving back to m4/3 right now.

Trying new stuff is half the fun. And if you buy used, you can play with all kinds of stuff. Sure you generally come out behind, but I can buy a used camera, shoot all summer, and sell it in the fall for less of a loss than renting it for a week would have cost me.

cpt000

Mu-43 Regular
Started with the GF1 back in 2009, then the E-P3 in 2012. E-P3 got damaged then switched to the G5. Recently bought the e-m1.2, really happy with it.

I've used Voightlander, Pentax, Canon, and Olympus cameras, Pentax, Nikon, Leica, Canon, Minolta, and Contax lenses. These days, sensors are all excellent. Glass is good enough. It's what we do with it that matters.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom