How many times have you flipped brands?

Real Name
Paul
I switched to Olympus twice! My early film cameras were Pentax but I didn’t have much kit before moving to Olympus OM4.
Digital, I started with Nikon but also moved to Olympus and m43.

wyk

Mu-43 Veteran
Geziz...I guess I'll start at the start:

Kodak Ektralight 110 and Polaroind 660 if I recall
Minolta X700(plasticky, but lovable until it stops metering and you switch to Canon)
Canon AE-1p(then college came and there was no money for cameras for a long while)
Minolta Maxxum 9(which I had for a long time, bought it on feel alone - best film camera ever made)
Contax 159(concurrently with the minolta m9)
Nikon N90s/F90s(loved it, especially w/the vert grip)
Nikon D2H(loved it, but F-me was it a fat hoor)
Minolta 7d(which ended my Minolta years, terrible shutter which sony decided to try to keep for some reason)
Nikon Coolpix 900 series(several for travel)
Canon G series(several for travel)
Canon 350d
Olympus Epl2 for quite a while - a superb general use camera at the time
Sony NEX 6 - this was before Sony became the juggernaut. I was curious and got it for a great price.
Sony A7 - the shutter on that thing is just stupid, and I mean stupid bad, not stupid good. Great handling and feel, tho
Sony A7s(Grainy, and it doesn't really look like film grain)
Olympus OMD1/ EM5 - never really clicked with them - they felt a bit too fiddly
Canon M3 - canon colours too colory, and images a bit too cartoony with their wide angle lenses
GX80 - 90% of that camera is wasted on me. I take stills
FujiFilm XT1 - closest thing to my old Maxxum 9 ever made, great handling machine

Still have the Fuji XT1 and the A7. But I am prolly gonna trade that A7 for some Fuji Lenses now that I've mostly settled.
Been trying to find a used GM1 in great condition, tho.

Last edited:

RevBob

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
I started in film with a Canon T50.
My first digital cameras were Fuji super zooms.
I moved to Canon for a Rebel DSLR.
Switched to Olympus M4/3 with the E-P1 (and assorted others since).
Now I primarily use a PL G85 with an E-P3 as a backup.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
When I was a kid I had a Kodak Instamatic using 126 film and the flip bar flash. I think I got that camera for Christmas one year in the later 1970s.

As a young adult I bought an Olympus Infinity P&S 35mm camera. It had two lens settings, I think 35mm and 70mm. Not really knowing any better I always bought 400 ISO film for it thinking I could use it for lower light shots and at the time I thought daylight shots looked fine. Now when I look at some of those old pictures, I can see the grain in a lot of shots and now wish I had used 100 most of the time or at least 200.

Then I went digital in 1998 with a series of Olympus models starting with the D-220L, a 640x480 digital camera so I still used my Oly film camera along side it. It wasn't until I upgraded to the C-2020Z that I completely abandoned film and went full digital. Even at 2MP, the C-2020Z was good enough to make great 4x6 prints. After that the C-770UZ "superzoom" because I wanted something more than 3x optical zoom.

I then went interchangeable lens system with the Oly E-520 and have been using 4/3rds and now m43 ever since.

Armoured

Mu-43 Regular
"Switching" implies switched away from ... which I haven't really done that much; instead, the equipment accumulates. But rough timeline, and leaving out random point and shoots, etc:
-First system was Minolta based on X700; excellent camera although I didn't have many other components. This was probably the only kit I ever switched away from.
-Nikon: starting with older Nikkormats (yes, went full manual) to FM/FEs to some other bodies and digital, through DX in early days to today's D750. I still occasionally use an FM/FE2.
-I have had a Mamiya TLR for years that I get too little use out of, but I do use and has been solid and reliable.
-Olympus m4/3: have used an EM10.1 for years as a light travel kit and when I don't want the fullframe, recently got an EM5.ii because it basically solves all the things I don't like about the EM10.

In that period when digital was causing film gear to be dumped, I picked up a fair amount of film gear I wanted to try at reasonable and occasionally even cheap prices - basically wish fulfillment from younger days when I really wanted this stuff. A couple OM cameras and lenses, a couple compact rangefinders, some TLRs from what I consider the golden age, and some Leica-type rangefinders with odd lenses (including some former Soviet Union variants). Oh, and a Kiev 88, the Khassleblyad.* I had a period where I used all of these, but it will soon be time to thin the herd.

I do not expect to switch in dramatic fashion going forward. The Nikon / Olympus sets serve different purposes and will for years; I can dispose of a lot of semi-collectible gear and keep a few for occasional film fetish outings.

*Hope Russian speakers don't take offense. My copy works fine, but it's not a simple camera.

macabee

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Barry King
Having started serious amateur photography in the 1960’s my first SLR was an Exa 500:

Nikon, Olympus, Pentax, Olympus,

Digital age

Olympus E-1, Pentax K5, Fuji X pro 1

Olympus OMD M1

Finally, Olympus OMD M1 Mk II & III

I still have an OM1 & E1

At my advanced years lighter and smaller wins hands down

John M Flores

Super Moderator
I am the digital angel of death.
Every system I buy, dies.
Kodak.
Pentax Q.
Nikon 1.
Now, I am using M43.
If you want your beloved system to survive,
help me buy Sony.

doady

Mu-43 Veteran
2004: Olympus C-5060WZ
2005: Olympus C-7070WZ
2019: Olympus E-M1 II and 12-100mm F4 Pro

These are all the cameras I have ever bought. So, yeah, I'm basically an Olympus fanboy.

scb

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Steve
I'm finished with flipping.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulitzer_Prize_for_Photography

There's only one that's even remotely sharp by modern standards :biggrin:

I think a lot of today's photographers can fall into the trap of being obsessed with image sharpness as I know that I have! All of us should be more concerned with composition and other elements that contribute to "great" images.

Being on a "beer" budget, I haven't been one for switching systems. My photography hobby started with a simple Sony Cybershot digital, followed by a Panasonic FZ20 superzoom which was the camera that really got me started down the road of understanding the elements of photography. That led me to the Olympus E520. When the four thirds platform was abandoned, I switched to the micro 4/3 system with a E PL-2. And since then, E PL-5, E M10, E M10 Mark II and E M5 Mark II.

At this point, the micro 4/3 system meets my needs and I can't see making a switch, especially since I now have a couple pro lenses and some great prime lenses. If I have to change systems at some point, I will still be concerned about size and weight of camera body and lenses.

fortwodriver

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Frank
Oh, and a Kiev 88, the Khassleblyad.* I had a period where I used all of these, but it will soon be time to thin the herd.

I still have my Kiev88 kit... I bought it from Saul Kaminsky at KievUSA in CT... It was completely redone by him and his team... I used to call those cameras "Hasselnyet" ...

Armoured

Mu-43 Regular
I still have my Kiev88 kit... I bought it from Saul Kaminsky at KievUSA in CT... It was completely redone by him and his team... I used to call those cameras "Hasselnyet" ...

Mine works fine although the wind has that characteristic walnut-grinding feel.

"Khassel-blyad" is, ahem, a bit stronger in Russian.

fransglans

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Gustav
Canon olympus fujifilm around in three circles in 12 years now. 25 bodies, 30 lenses. Lots of dollars.

Should have sticked with olympus and a fast 25mm 😁

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Canon olympus fujifilm around in three circles in 12 years now. 25 bodies, 30 lenses. Lots of dollars.

Should have sticked with olympus and a fast 25mm 😁

I wonder about the dollars. I generally bought used at a good price, and resold with little or no loss. So I maintain the belief that I've spent relatively few dollars over fifteen years and many, many different kits. The dollars I wonder about are the postage for all of that. I'd love to know what I contributed to the USPSs revenue stream over the years.

fransglans

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Gustav
I wonder about the dollars. I generally bought used at a good price, and resold with little or no loss. So I maintain the belief that I've spent relatively few dollars over fifteen years and many, many different kits. The dollars I wonder about are the postage for all of that. I'd love to know what I contributed to the USPSs revenue stream over the years.

I also buy used gear, almost always. But I'm not a good bisniss man so I tend to sell way to cheap. But I use to say to my wife that at least I'm not in the pub and drinking the money away :)

But yeah, my postoffice know my face by now

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
I don't pivot often, I have several different formats and I prefer it that way, but I did go from a 2MP P&S to a Nikon DSLR in 2006, then sold it for a M4/3 camera in 2012 and would consider M4/3 to have been my main camera system up until 2020, and now my "main" camera looks like this:

picture134427.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

scb

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Steve
I also buy used gear, almost always. But I'm not a good bisniss man so I tend to sell way to cheap. But I use to say to my wife that at least I'm not in the pub and drinking the money away :)

But yeah, my postoffice know my face by now

Not long ago, I sat down and made a list of my camera bodies and lenses and they were all purchased used somewhere in the 60% price of new range. Now....when it comes to my beer purchases....I spring for the better stuff, whether for consumption at home or when out for lunch, dinner, etc. At my age....I buy the beer of choice.....but I still remember when I was a young buck and a purchase of an 8 pack of cheap beer was my beer budget for the week! Seriously...not kidding! But I've been very lucky, and my wife and I are enjoying life.......well, at least when Covid isn't part of the picture!!
_B060132.jpg8X10.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom