How many times have you flipped brands?

WT21

Super Moderator
I have burned waaaay too much cash doing this. I think it was Canon ELPH300 - Panasonic TZ5 - Canon ELPH 800 - Canon G9 - Panny LX3 - Canon a720 (hack ware) - Canon Rebel (XTi and Ti1) - Canon 5D - EP1 - Canon 5D - EPL2, then EPM1 - Canon 6D - GX7 - a6000 - a7 - EPL5 (EP3 is in there somewhere) - GX85 - G85.

It has to be $1000s spent :(

The G85 and the 5D were probably my two favorite cameras out of the entire lot.

jimr.pdx

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim R
Pretty rare for me. Pentax 1980-00, then digital P+S for eight years. Back to big sensors w/ SonyAlpha a200 08-9 then Pentax again until this year. Added m43 2011- present. Swapped Pentax gear for a D600 and a few lenses in May.

John King

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I have burned waaaay too much cash doing this. I think it was Canon ELPH300 - Panasonic TZ5 - Canon ELPH 800 - Canon G9 - Panny LX3 - Canon a720 (hack ware) - Canon Rebel (XTi and Ti1) - Canon 5D - EP1 - Canon 5D - EPL2, then EPM1 - Canon 6D - GX7 - a6000 - a7 - EPL5 (EP3 is in there somewhere) - GX85 - G85.

It has to be $1000s spent :(

The G85 and the 5D were probably my two favorite cameras out of the entire lot.
I have seen a lot of people do just this.

Better photographs (mostly) do not come from better gear, whether actually better or not ...

Better photographs come from learning how to use what you have (within reason, of course), i.e. learning more about the craft.

Before I buy anything new, I make a list of what it will achieve that I cannot achieve with my existing kit. The list is usually surprisingly short ...

My one big splash was when I bought my E-M1 MkII and 12-100 at release road show.

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Agfa Optima IIs
Kodak 8mm movie camera
Nikomat & Nikkormat Yashica Mat 124
Mamiya C330 and Press 23 (still had Nikons)
Worked in Camera industry used Mamiya RB67, Nikon F' - FTN
Left the industry Sold everything but the Niko(or) mats
Got Sony Hi8 video camera
Got small Pentex 35mm PS
Got the Nikon 775
Then the 4500
Gave the Nikons away, got a D70 and a couple of lenses
Then D200/D7000/D7100/EPL-1 at close out, added EP5
At 58 hurt my shoulder, Sold my Nikon gear and got 2 Gx8's and added the 12-35/100-400mm (total of 10 M43 lenses)
Bought a Gx85 as a travel camera
Last year added G9 (as a video/stills camera)

Doing more video now, think Pany will be in that game a while with the Gh line and will stay with them as long as the make M43 stuff. @70 I think another G9 would take me close to quitting time:).

bassman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
The Bassman
I’m going to skip most of the P&S cameras - both film and digital - as they aren’t a “system” that you’re committed to.

After my first child was born in 1976, I got a Minolta SR-T 102 with the 50/1.4, and added a Vivitar Series 1 135/2.3. Yes, I bought them new and I’m that old.

Around 1991 or 1992 I made my first switch to Nikon with an N6006 and an AF 50/1.4. I added the 28-85/3.5-4.5 and 80-200/2.8 zooms. I used this for a few years, but got tired of hauling the weight around (especially the 80-200) and put it on the shelf, switching to a series of compact film cameras, including an Olympus XA and Contax T-VS. When digital compacts became useful, I switched, mostly to a series of Cannon S series cameras: S50, S60, ... .

In 2005, my first grandchild was born and I quickly discovered the problem chasing small children with these cameras and so I bought a Nikon D80 and the 35/1.8. My older Nikon AF lenses all worked with the D80, and I later augmented the kit with a Tokina 11-16/2.8DX and the Nikon 70-300. A brief fling with the 1 Nikon system V1 and three initial lenses was really, in my mind, an F mount extension. After the D80 suffered a fatal injury, I bought a D7000.

When the V1 finally proved unsatisfactory, I went looking for another smaller kit to supplement the Nikon DX kit. In 2012, I bought the E-M5, 17/1.8, 25/1.4, 45/1.8 and 12-35/2.8. This not only proved satisfactory as a smaller kit, I wound up not using the D7000 anymore. This grew and evolved over the years, including E-M1.2, E-M1.3, E-M5.3, GX7, GX9 and a bunch of lenses From both Panasonic and Olympus.

So by my count, three systems:
- Minolta: 1 camera + 2 lenses;
- Nikon: 4 cameras + 10 lenses;
- Olympus/m43: 6 cameras + 13 lenses (currently 2 cameras and 10 lenses).

Last edited:

crlund

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Rob
Really only flipped systems once.
Used a Pentax ME from around the mid seventies thru the early nineties accumulating five lenses in that time. After getting married the Pentax got retired to the closet and I went thru a couple Canon digital powershots. Tried a Pentax K-3 with my old lenses for a while but discovered I just did not want to carry all that around anymore. After a bit of internet research I ended up with an Olympus E-M5 II then an E-M1 II. I know Olympus is supposed to be dead but I think what I have will outlive me.

Lcrunyon

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Loren
.5 times... I started my photography journey with an Olympus OM-D E-M5, and graduated onto the E-M1 line and Pro lenses. However, the original E-M1's AF wasn't cutting it for my needs, so I bought a Canon 7D MkII, 100-400L MkII lens, and x1.4 tc. There were a lot of things about the Canon rig that were better, but I still preferred the Olympus. So, when the E-M1 MkII came out, which pretty much equaled or surpassed the 7D MkII in all the ways I needed it to, the Canon didn't get used again. I still have it, and that fact is making the Canon EOS R5 all the more tempting, but I don't see myself selling my Olympus kit and I don't really want to run with two systems. If Olympus does end up going away I probably will delve into a new system eventually - once the gear stops working or becomes so outdated but I can't help myself anymore - but I don't think it will happen any time soon. For me, the deciding factor is bird photography and how the new 150-400mm pro stacks up with the E-M1X and bird AI tracking. For everything else, I'm still very satisfied with my Olympus gear.

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
In the film days I got a Mamiya twin lens reflex from a wedding photographer who had updated to a Pentax 6x7. My next camera was then a Mamiya DTL2000, which was a better Japanese market only version of the DTL1000. It came with a 55mm 1.2mm lens. After it got stolen I got a Canon A1, and stuck to various Canon cameras for a while. When digital improved I got a Panasonic FZ50, and the Leica equivalent, which I still use. I have stuck to Panasonic since then. My main requirement is ease of operation, and that includes the menu system. I don't lose sleep over noise, as long as the image is not worse than I would have expected from 400 ISO 35mm film.

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Only really once. First ILC was a Canon 550D. That got stolen, had a little bit of a mix up with insurance, & I ended up with an EOSM, & 6D. The 6D just ended up too heavy & bulky for my needs, the lens range for EOSM was utter [email protected], Panasonic released the GX8 which had 20MP & DFD AFC, & the rest is history. Upgraded to a G9, because it fixed all the little minor niggles I had with the GX8, I really can't see myself upgrading unless something absolutely, completely revolutionary hits the market.

Clint

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Clint
I've never switched camera brands expecting my photos to become better. Transitioned from film to digital 4/3s. When Olympus quit 4/3s I moved to Nikon as I still had some lenses that worked on the Nikon digital. When the Olympus OM-D EM-5 came out many touted it as the replacement for the 4/3 system. That wasn't really the case but by the time the OM-D EM-1 came out and with some Panasonic lenses I moved to m4/3s.

The grass may be greener on the other side, but you have to realize when you already there.

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
Rarely. I am cheap with caveats. I don't mind spending money for something I want, but detest losing money when I sell. I still have an FZ-70, a ZS-70, and a G7 (Hmm...I just noticed a pattern) that don't bring much in the used market, so they set.

In the film days I went from a Pentax K1000 to a Minolta Maxxum 7000, but that was more about going from a beginner camera to the first super duper first fully auto camera, including focus and film wind. Usually once I get set with a brand I stay put. I bought the G7 because I was used to the menu on the FZ-70, and the G9 due to the G7, and so on. I've never owned a Canon and honestly don't care. I've thought about Nikon, but never pulled the trigger.

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Eastern Denmark (annexed in 1658 by Sweden)
Real Name
Erik
In the film days I went from a Pentax K1000 to a Minolta Maxxum 7000, but that was more about going from a beginner camera to the first super duper first fully auto camera, including focus and film wind.
Must've been something of a leap from the full control of the K1000 to the "Creative Cards" of the Minolta. Funny thing is that the Pentax has kept much more of its value than the Minolta. Just the other week I bought three Minolta Dynax (in Europe) 7000i bodies with two 35-80 kit zooms for about US$ 15:-. I'm wishing that I could get that amount of Pentaxes for the same amount of cash, but no can do that...

EDIT: @Brownie: sorry, you were talking about the 7000, not the 7000i? The 7000 don't have any Creative Cards, but it has the normal flash shoe, and AA batteries, instead of the 2CR5 expensive ones.

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom