How many times have you flipped brands?

Quadna71

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I’m at a crossroads and am wondering if I’m alone here. I was Canon, flipped completely to Olympus, flipped back to Canon, and now...am looking back at Olympus again. The first time I flipped it was based upon size/weight because it seemed that my Canon full frame gear was just getting out of control. So I had a clean break, sold off all my Canon gear, and slowly dipped into the m4/3 world. E-M10ii, then E-M5ii, then E-M1ii...and also picked up a TG-5 along the way. Was cruising along for 3 or so years and then was starting to get the feeling that my Oly gear was getting close to the size of the Canon gear I had left behind. I also loved the razor-thin DOF of my Canon full frame sensors and felt I was missing that in some of the my Oly shots. On a whim and maybe just a moment of poorly thought out weakness I jumped on the new Canon full frame mirrorless with the EOS R and the 24-70/2.8 for that new mount. Also sold my m4/3 gear to fund the switch so no chance of going back from that point. So I was thinking all was good and loving life, right? Hmm...seems now I rarely take my camera out and about and when I do it’s because I’m making a conscious effort to take pictures. I tried analyzing the situation and came to the conclusion that it was still the size and weight. I’ve run all the comparisons for weight and size and know there truly is no comparison and it was just my mind playing tricks on me. And when I go back to look at similar pictures that I’ve taken over the years I really don’t see anything in my Canon pics that I wasn’t getting with my Oly pics.

So am I the only person that has been dumb enough to be in this situation? Obviously this is also an expensive lesson that don’t seem to be learning and that is frustrating as all get out. Oh, and I’m also now close to pulling the trigger on the new E-M1iii on Oly’s website and take advantage of some of those reward coupons that I racked up over the years. GAS sucks!

Real Name
Mike Peters
I feel your pain. I started in photography back in the mid 1970's.

Started with Olympus, decided to do this professionally, went to school and before I graduated, switched to Nikon. In 1984 my Nikon's were giving me fits, so I switched to Leica R, and then Leica M, and then Contax, and when the EOS 1 came out, switched to Canon. I went along with Canon for quite some time from film to digital, and like you, found dragging all the gear around all day very tiresome.

Albeit I was making my living with them, and I needed a wide range of glass. Mostly, I found the 2.8 zooms terribly uncomfortable to carry all day. When Panasonic came out with the GH3 and the 12-35 plus the 35-100 zooms, I made the switch and never looked back. Seven years now. I buy lenses all the time, I have 17, is that too many? The smaller and lighter gear made photography fun again.

I feel that there isn't anything I can't do with my M43 gear, even when compared to my colleagues who still shoot full frame gear. So far, the only camera that has tempted me away from my M43 gear is the Lumix S1 and S1R. Until of course I saw how massive the lenses are, and how heavy. Ouch. My 60 year old back said no way. And, I'm not rich. Geez, that gear is expensive!!!

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
Three. Four. Five. Pentax film to Nikon film, then Canon digital to Olympus digital.

Edit: forgot my Minolta XD7 after the ME Super
Edit edit: remembered the Contax 137MA after the XD7. Fantastic T* 50mm f1.7 lens. Got rid when it was clear i was never going to be able to afford any other Contax lenses.
Edit edit edit: Suppose I should include work cameras: Mamiya 645, Mamiya 6x6, Bronica ETRS/SQA/SQAI, Hasselblad 500C/M.

Apart from that, I don't recall much flipping of brands.

Last edited:

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Three.

#1 - 35mm camera - Mamiya/Sekor to Nikkormat/Nikon.
The primary reason was the M/S had a slow to use threaded lens mount vs. the easy and fast to use Nikon bayonet mount.
Back then, zooms were few and far between, so changing lenses was SOP, and done frequently.

#2 - Nikon film to Nikon digital

#3 - digital - Nikon DX to Olympus m4/3.
The primary reason was to reduce weight and bulk of my kit. As a senior citizen, I'm too old to carry the weight of the kit that I used to, so in order to keep shooting, I had to reduce my the weight of my kit. The weight of my travel kit went down about 45% :)

However, there is a common problem with ALL the Olympus zooms (both consumer and PRO) that I have, which pulls me back to my Nikon DX camera. That is the somewhat STIFF turning zoom ring. :( When I am working the zoom ring for 5-6 HOURS, a stiff zoom ring gets to be a pain to use.​
  • I still use the Nikon D7200 + 70-200/4 lens on the football/soccer/lacrosse field, as there is NO Olympus pro lens that handles as well as that Nikon lens. I can easily turn the Nikon zoom ring with my fingers, and can get shots easier than with the 40-150/2.8.
  • For basketball and volleyball, I have been thinking about getting a Tamron 17-50/2.8, and switching back to my Nikon D7200. Again for the light easy to turn zoom ring.

Last edited:

wyk

Mu-43 Veteran
I shot Minolta for 2 decades quite happily. Then digital happened. I've tried them all except Fuji. But I might dip in to that pond if I can desaturate their silly colours enough to be happy with them ;)

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
I've scoured Cameraderie for photos from other systems. I spent a long time working in photographic retail, handled hundreds of different cameras and lenses, attended numerous trade launches and am well aware that different manufacturers innovate in different ways. If the latest gizmo is your thing, you need to keep your options open, though just remember if you want twice the resolution, you need to quadruple the megapixels. This really is diminishing returns territory.

I do product photos, snaps and macros. A combination of EM1MK2 and pro prime is hard to beat.

LilSebastian

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
John
It’s just (discretionary) money, I wouldn’t get too emotional about it. The thing you can’t get back is time. If you enjoy your limited time on this earth taking photos, and Olympus is the brand that (with hindsight) helped you do more of the thing you enjoyed then come on back. I’m a youngster in the photo world having only point and shoot before my E-M10II in 2016 but despite looking at reviews of Fuji, Nikon and others I can’t see how a move would substantially improve the enjoyment for ME. I consider enjoyment as the process of carrying and using the gear as much as the output.

*** I reserve the right to change my mind at any time though! ***

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
It’s just (discretionary) money, I wouldn’t get too emotional about it. The thing you can’t get back is time. If you enjoy your limited time on this earth taking photos, and Olympus is the brand that (with hindsight) helped you do more of the thing you enjoyed then come on back. I’m a youngster in the photo world having only point and shoot before my E-M10II in 2016 but despite looking at reviews of Fuji, Nikon and others I can’t see how a move would substantially improve the enjoyment for ME. I consider enjoyment as the process of carrying and using the gear as much as the output.

*** I reserve the right to change my mind at any time though! ***

When I was just out of high school, I laughed at my cousins OM1. Compared to my Nikon, it seemed like a toy.
Fast forward several decades, and that same Nikon feels HEAVY to carry, and I see the wisdom of the lighter OM1.

The heavier the kit, the closer it gets used to the car. Or on a pull cart.

Real Name
Walter
I started with Canon film SLRs back in the 1970's. Then, for a while in the 90's, I basically put the cameras away and wasn't shooting much at all. Then in early 2000's, I bought my first digital, an Olympus P&S. The film to digital transition was a revelation. After I killed it dropping it into a puddle, I bought a couple of Canon P&S's but found them too slow to catch my fast moving toddler son. Bought a Canon Rebel XT to catch up with him, and then progressed to a 7D before I finally realized that the Canons were wearing me down and out. I saw my friend with an EM5 and had another revelation. Bought an EM5 and dumped my Canon gear when I realized that I was getting better photos, having more fun, and shooting more often. Haven't looked back nor looked elsewhere. Haven't regretted it. :)

Gromit

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Richard
How many flips? Oh loads - but I tend to 'merge' more than 'flip'. In 35mm days I was a die-hard Nikon shooter, arrived at digital via Canon though and stayed with them until the original X100 arrived on the scene. Then, over a few months, went all-Fuji.

'Discovered' full frame with the Nikon D700 - which I still have after 6 years' ownership then went all Nikon, whilst still having an X100 (a T I think) in the bag. Since then I've gone from Nikon-Fuji-Olympus-Fuji-Olympus and now have both Fuji & Olympus co-habiting. I often think I should flip again, and fall on the Fuji or Olympus side but their good points are so good, and almost unique to themselves, I just cannot bring myself to move either on. Both Oly & Fuji make cameras which are wonderful to shoot with - the Pen F, and the X-Pro2. The E-M1.2 and X-H1 are also wonderful but they're tools c/w the other two. Still much prefer working the Olympus files though.

LeroyP

New to Mu-43
Started with a Voigtlander film camera and a Zeiss lens back in the 70's. That camera weighed a ton and was already obsolete back then. It did take terrific pictures and I remember lugging it around all over Europe.

Then it was to a point and shoot Canon Elph

On to a point and shoot Panasonic FZ 300 and then an FZ1000

Now an Olympus OMD 5 Mark III.....couldn't be happier.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I started with Canon film SLRs back in the 1970's. Then, for a while in the 90's, I basically put the cameras away and wasn't shooting much at all. Then in early 2000's, I bought my first digital, an Olympus P&S. The film to digital transition was a revelation. After I killed it dropping it into a puddle, I bought a couple of Canon P&S's but found them too slow to catch my fast moving toddler son. Bought a Canon Rebel XT to catch up with him, and then progressed to a 7D before I finally realized that the Canons were wearing me down and out. I saw my friend with an EM5 and had another revelation. Bought an EM5 and dumped my Canon gear when I realized that I was getting better photos, having more fun, and shooting more often. Haven't looked back nor looked elsewhere. Haven't regretted it. :)

Yes, the P&S
They were my interim, between the 35mm film and dSLR, so maybe I switched 4x.
  1. Mamiya/Sekor to Nikkormat/Nikon F
  2. Nikon film to digital P&S
  3. P&S to Nikon dSLR (D70)
  4. Nikon dSLR (D7200) to Olympus
And like you, I just could not stand the shutter lag of the P&S. Press the shutter and 1 or 2 seconds later, it finally fires. Really a PITA and frustrating to use for any fast moving subjects.

Real Name
Walter
Yes, the P&S
They were my interim, between the 35mm film and dSLR, so maybe I switched 4x.

But like you, I just could not stand the shutter lag of the P&S. Press the shutter and 1 or 2 seconds later, it finally fires. Really a PITA and frustrating to use for any fast moving subjects.

Yup, missed many moving kid shots until I got the DSLR. It was the only thing without frustrating shutter lag.

StirlingBartholomew

Mu-43 Regular
50 years ago I got a Nikomat FTN with Nikkor 50mm f1.4 from HongKong as a graduation gift. Picked up a Canon P rangefinder but didn't keep it. Shot Nikon 35mm gear (lots of gear) and Mamiya Universal 6x7/9 until 1980. Unloaded all my gear after 1980 shot nothing until 2005. Been shooting Lumix and Olympus since then. Looked at getting Sony A7r-xx but every time I checked out the lenses I just reminded myself how heavy my Zuiko 50-200mm is and talked myself out of it. EM-5 mk1 which I bought from a member of this fourm is still taking good photos. I have boxes full of (inherited) Pentax Super-Takumar and SMC lenses. I don't shoot action and work in manual mode for exposure and focus.

Last edited:

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
Bought a Zenit B in 1972 and used it through college. Bought a Canon EF in late 1974 and stuck with that plus other Canon bodies and lenses for almost 30 years. When shooting professionally I used the Canon gear, a Bronica ETR and linhof 4x5 view camera. Sold it all off and bought a 3MP Nikon CoolPix 4300 and then a Canon P&S. Hated the shutter lag and having to use an LCD that you couldn't use well in bright sunlight. Bought an E-M10 in the Spring of 2014 and have no intention of changing brand or format. I use it for both work and hobby use.

exakta

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Used an OM-1 for 30 years. After a succession of four digital P&S, I went back to ILC with m43 and have no plans to change. I couldn't afford to even if I wanted ;) It's the cheapest system offering primes.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom