How many Photographers use Macintosh?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Iconindustries, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer Charter Member

I'm curious to find out how many users on this forum use the Macintosh system. I have a Macbook Pro and generally use iphoto Edit (and now also Aperture) for my editing needs and it performs brilliantly. I thought it would be cool to find out how many photographers lean towards Windows or Macintosh.

I have been a mac user for a couple of years now. I commiserate with those who have to put up with windows. (said lightly! Take no offence) I have been there and i know what it feels like.:smile:

Thanks,
    Brady

• Like Like x 6
  2. DownUnderDog

DownUnderDog Mu-43 Regular

PC what's PC

I use MAC, photoshop was built for this platform. It's even available in Australia, thank heavens.
    Cheers
    DUD

• Like Like x 2
  3. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

I actually switched away from macs aout 6 years ago back to windows. However, as we're now thinking about upgrading the computers here at home I'll most likely be going back to macs.

4. silverbullet

silverbullet Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 10, 2010
    Since 1982 I use Macs. The first was the LISA - the first private computer with a (boxy) mouse and the UI as we know since decades now.

Our oldest Mac from six in the family with two children is an old Power Book G4 Titanium which looks ugly with it's cracking silver paint but it works really good. All Macs are running stable and without any flaws, I'm in many things but not in System Admin.......:rofl:

• Like Like x 2
  5. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman Subscribing Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    long time mac user - I smile when I realise that one file from my Canon 5D is bigger than my first harddrive

kevin

• Like Like x 2
  6. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Mac's since they started....
    Their just very intuitive.....

• Like Like x 2
  7. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    not me - I started with the IBM twin floppy XT and have been with PCs ever since

tried the iMac and the G something but never could really figure them out

but I was a business "power useing" bean counter - without an artistic "bone in my body" - apart from "creative accounting"

• Like Like x 2
  8. David Stringer

David Stringer Mu-43 Regular

Jan 31, 2010
    Horsham, West Sussex
    Long time Mac user, couldn't ever see myself going back to windows at home. Cant count the amount of times i've tried to use finger gestures or quicklook on my work windows laptop out of habit!!

• Like Like x 4
  9. fullkoll

fullkoll New to Mu-43 Charter Member

Jan 15, 2010
    North of Sweden
    Kjell
    Mac user from Sweden

Privately I have been a Mac user for more than 20 years, but ´had´ to work with PC´s as an IT-coordinater professionally. Recently retired it´s all Mac now!

My IT-gear:
    iMac 21.5"(wonderful screen calibrated with SpyderPro 3), MacBook, Lightroom 2.6

• Like Like x 2
  10. ajramirez

ajramirez Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    iMac user here.

Cheers,

Antonio

• Like Like x 2
  11. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    I used a Risc-OS, ARM machine for my personal work... until PC's became too mainstream (and relatively stable) with Windows XP.

Coming from an Engineering background, PC's were used at work.

Love the iPhone touch interface though, have the iPod Touch and can't wait for the iPad to land.

Cheers

Brian

12. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Mac user since the SE days up through my MacBook Pro.[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  13. steve

steve Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Havertown, PA
    Macbook Pro user. First Mac was a Power Computing back when Apple licensed clones in 1995.

• Like Like x 2
  14. AlanT

AlanT Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2010
    Perth, Scotland
    Bought an iMac last year after becoming fed up with Windows and its frequent crashing. 5 months in and I've not had a single problem with the Mac, and the software is a joy to use. Can't see myself going back to using a PC at home.

• Like Like x 2
  15. andyw

andyw Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Surrey. UK
    I have had my iMac for about 18 months and i love it. Everything just works without fuss and i don't have to worry about keep upgrading programmes and anti virus etc. I also think the screen is by far the best i have ever seen and used. If i had to go back to PC however i wouldn't be too upset as long as i had a decent screen. As long as my iMac keeps working it will do me!

16. grcolts

grcolts Mu-43 Regular

Feb 1, 2010
    Texas
    Gary
    I use the IMAC G4 which is starting to show its age.
    I came to the Mac platform because it was the closes to my old, deceased Commodore Amiga computer. I see myself updating to a new Mac later this year. Any suggestions?
    GR

17. Carol Stee

Carol Stee Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Jan 17, 2010
    I have had an Apple PowerBook G4 since 2004 and when I get a new laptop it will be a Mac. Macs cost more than PCs but they are worth it. I am surprised that Macs have such a small portion of the computer market because they are clearly superior to PCs.

18. Bill Gordon

Bill Gordon Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

iMac 24" (love it!) would never go back to a PC.....E-P2 14-42mm + 45-200mm Panny (just arrived today) PS C4 (don't need nuttin more) now I gotta get some new images to play with!! Darn weather, ain't good for an old man!!

• Like Like x 2
  19. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Congratulations on your new gear, Bill!

• Like Like x 2
  20. Chow Monkey

Chow Monkey Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Using a Sony Vaio with Win 7 installed.. Works like a charm..