1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

How many people use olympus viewer first then LR or Aperture?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Smashatom, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Smashatom

Smashatom Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2013
    Stratford-Upon-Avon, UK
    Sam
    Just been reading a thread this morning about JPEGs and someone mention putting the raw files through olympus viewer first then taking the files to aperture or LR. I just wondered if this is a popular thing to do? Pros? Cons? What file type is it best to export as to move to aperture or Lightroom?

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Lots of people rave about Olympus viewer in terms of the quality of the JPEG conversion. Personally, I find it very slow and severely lacking in features compared to LR. I've played with it, but never used it for anything serious.

• Like Like x 1
  3. deang001

deang001 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 16, 2013
    Hong Kong
    Dean
    I have been experimenting with this recently. Especially so when using the 45/1.8 or the 75/1.8 and looking for some creamy background bokeh that's not too contrasty.

I'll get the RAW image in Oly Viewer as Muted and maybe a notch down in contrast and then export a TIFF file.

In LR I then open the TIFF and leave the background how it is but use the adjustment brush to add some contrast and sharpening to the main subject. This usually gives the subject a bit more pop & separation from the background. TIFF is better than a JPEG to work on in this situation and I just can't do a better job than Oly Viewer on getting a nice muted background to work with :)

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43

4. Hagane

Hagane Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2013
    Limburg, Netherlands
    I'm using Aperture and a special RAW converter, but this due to a problem with RAW-developing in Aperture, all Raws have extremely oversaturated blues which can't be corrected. When googling the problem is well-known and occurs with cameras from all manufacturers, so far no solution and it doesn't affect all users.

I've reinstalled the system and Aperture but still, my E-PM1 and G5 Raws are unuseable (when they contain blue (and to a certain degree red colors)). The problem is the same with any converter relying on the Apple RAW support.

So, I've tried Capture One and OMG what a difference! The standard results when just loading the RAW into the converter is so so so much better than with anything else. So I import RAWs into Capture one, make my adjustments and store them there. I then usually make JPEGs out of them and send them through to Aperture.

Could be smoother (if Capture one was better implemented within OS X I would delete Aperture), but it works.

5. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I used Olympus viewer for about 2 days when I bought an EPL1 back in March of 2010 - it was my first decent digital camera and first exposure to shooting raw and to digital processing besides the basic cropping and stuff that any program would let you do back with the various point and shoot's I'd used since I was heavily involved in the film days many years back. I hated Olympus Viewer so much I almost gave up on raw, but shortly thereafter got a copy of Aperture and never looked back. Not bad quality but an enormous pain in the posterior to actually USE...

-Ray

6. phl0wtography

phl0wtography Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 15, 2011
    I tried it a few times after reading and watching Rob Knight's bits on Olympus Viewer vs. Lightroom 4, and how to batch process in OV for LR.

Pros:
    - you can convey Olympus' picture modes, like muted, portrait, vivid etc. for raw data with just one click, and after batch processing use ACR or whatever to fine tune detail and stuff.

Cons:
    - PP is VERY slow, and algorithms like sharpening and NR not as sophisticated as ACR.
    - upon exporting 16bit TIFFs for LR/PS/Aperture you strip their EXIF unless you wanna settle for 8bit - but then there's no point in taking the OV reroute in the first place
    - "the look" is easily achieved in LR too once you'ved analyzed what Oly does to their files. Colours maybe not 100%, but close enough, thanks to Huelight's profiles.
    - needs A LOT of diskspace.
    - batch processing to TIFF takes A LOT of time even with high-end machines = time consuming
    - another step in ones workflow = time consuming

I'd say give it a try with Rob Knight's two or three videos on the matter, and decide if you see benefit for your work, and if that benefit is worth the added amount of time needed. Processing works the same in OV3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wfZ69LqPW0 Difference in Image Quality
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJrtOS0MLiM How to batch process

7. eltictac

eltictac Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2012
    Can I sneak a quick question in here!

I like how all my folders of photos are in date order at the left hand side when I'm using the Olympus Viewer. And you can upload photos from the camera via Olympus Viewer and it makes new folders. But I've recently moved over to Panasonic and I'm using the Silkypix software. Does it not have a bit where my folders are organised like this?

I'll probably get Lightroom in the future when I've got some spare funds! I also thought I might try some free software like Darktable or something.

Thanks! :)

8. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve

Someone posted in another thread about finding LR2 for $30. FYI.

The few times I tried Oly viewer it was really slow. Just use LR4 now.

9. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    I avoid Olympus software like the plague. I find it slow, and lacking many features for customizing your file. Noise reduction and sharpening in LR are, to my mind, infinitely more versatile. I love my E-M5, but do all my raw processing in LR. I then fine tune an exported 16 bit Tiff in Photoshop. But everyone has different préférences.

And did I mention it was SLOW!

If you prefer it, however, you should stick to it. Liking the software you are using makes raw conversion so much easier.

10. AceAceBaby

AceAceBaby Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2013
    I use OV3 to get my photos downloaded off the cards onto my server share, but that's all. Nothing else I've tried lets me do that as easily.

11. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    I usually shoot JPEG+RAW, and if I find I don't like the JPEG, I'll go back and tweak using the mfg's raw converter. I hate LR's raw conversion, it zaps the colors to boring and the highlight and shadow correction the camera nailed, I now have to go back and spend more time than I want fixing. And yes, I've tried Huelight profiles...not even close.

12. Smashatom

Smashatom Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2013
    Stratford-Upon-Avon, UK
    Sam
    Thanks for the views, I personally use aperture and am happy with it. I just thought it might be a good idea to get colours right by using Olympus Viewers presets as featured on the camera. But if it's that slow, I think my extra slow old macbook will make it completely unbearable!

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

13. Rig Vader

Rig Vader Mu-43 Regular

May 24, 2012
    I was hoping that I could turn simply turn off NR and sharpening down and apply that in LR, but Viewer seems to apply NR, even with "Noise Filter" to off (with high ISO pics at least, Viewers NR seems to be beaten to a pulp). A shame