How Many of Your Camera Options Do You Use?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Narnian, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I was thinking about how I use my GX1 camera and all the whiz-bang features and realized I pretty much shoot the same way I did 30 years ago.

I am aperture priority 100% and only use the physical dials to change ISO and over/under exposure. I only use the menu to change the timer and format cards.

Otherwise, I cannot think of any other feature I use (at least on a regular enough basis I remember it).

One reason I had not considered Oly instead of Panny bodies was all the bad things I read about the Oly menu and I have come to the realization that is not really an issue in my case. :smile:
  2. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I use A, M and art filters on occasion. I stuck more or less to A mode for years but it's worth venturing out.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013
    -once in a while ill use burst mode, or bracketing (for hdr).
    -ibis and shutter-delay at night or past f8 shooting. also 2-sec-timer for longer shots
    -tilt lcd and touch-focus is also useful

otherwise i just need dedicated iso/av/tv/exp-comp dial, and shoot everything with center-metering and center-spot focus
    • Like Like x 1
  4. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    I'm mainly an 'A' mode shooter.

Occasionally I'll adjust focal points, focus-assist zoom for macro work, metering, tilty-flippy screen, exposure comp once in a while. If I'm feeling super organised I'll tweak/fix ISO rather than leaving it on ISO - particularly if I use a tripod.

I thought I'd miss control on my E-PM1 compared to my previous E-P1 but it turned out not to be the case. Particularly once SCP is enabled.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. janneman

janneman Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2012
    Jan (John) Kusters
    I did use a lot of settings to 'tweak' the camera to my liking. Once that was done, things are a lot easier. That said, I do use different set-up for different types of shooting; studio work quite something else than shooting a party or a landscape.
    Another point is that there are quite a few decisions that we now make in setting up the camera, that we used to make in the dark room (contrast, white balance, more subtle colour correction and so on). And Auto-focus, like Auto-exposure, is quite a different game from fully manual. They do have parameters that need to be set up right for the job.

All in all I now use one camera to do things that, back in film days, would be done by at least 3 different camera's, and half the things I set up before a shoot are things that in the old days would be dark room work. So yes, I am pretty happy with amount of the controls we have.
    But the old fashioned aperture ring, shutter and iso dial, the mechanical focus link, yes, I miss those, and I doubt buttons and fly-by-wire have been an improvement in those controls.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Aperture, shutter, ISO, exposure comp, AF point adjustment, occasional continuous AF, exposure bracketing, burst shooting - and modes A, M and S (in that order). Sometimes WiFi remote with the E-M1 and in camera HDR for a quick check whether it's worth taking bracketed shots form post processing.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    I'm finally down to aperture priority with fixed ISO. (I initially typed 'fixed film speed' so that tells you a lot about my shooting methodology.) I trim ISO for low light or where greater depth of field with motion freezing is required. If I shoot fully automatic or shutter priority, the results are sometimes subject to motion blur or too shallow depth of field.
    Still wish there were aperture rings and shutter speed dials in the old locations.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Even the GF1 has more features than I'll ever use. I never set up anything on that camera, and I'll never use 99% of what the E-M1 has on it. I use A, M, ISO, magnify, and when necessary I'll change IS settings to match the lens. Beyond that, I could really care less. Come to think of it, even my Contax 35mm has stuff on it that I've never used. The last camera I owned that had just what I wanted - nothing more, nothing less - was my OM2n.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I use P, A, S, and M - in that order of frequency. I use movie mode a lot, either in P or M depending on whether it's serious video or not. Bracket and timer modes are not common but I definitely do use and value them. I have used panorama and HDR modes on occasion, or even art filters, but it wouldn't bother me if you took those away.

I almost never use any flash features, but almost never is not never. Touch screens I almost never use, and don't usually miss them. Starting to explore them for video on the GH4 though.

As far as usability features, I use a ton of them. Peaking and zebras are my favorite things lately - they've both made a huge difference in my day-to-day.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    85% A. Rest is M (macro mostly) like 10% and S is 5%. Shutter delay for night, tripod and slow shutter speed. Touch focus is common. Mostly single AF.

sent from my Xperia Z
    • Like Like x 1
  11. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    I use my GX7 in manual mode almost exclusively. I have the front dial set for shutter speed and the rear for aperture. The focus peaking make manual focus a breeze. I switch between the electronic and mechanical shutter as required. There are lots of features for those who want to use them.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    I use silent mode a lot. It's amazing!

Occasionally throw in an Art filter for fun. They are rewarding and enjoyable.

I use the focus peaking a lot.

I use continuous AF and continuous shooting as appropriate.

I never use face detect AF until after the opportunity has passed, then I wish I had remembered. I would definitely use it if I remembered! :tongue:
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    The rear screen based interfaces such as the tilt or swivel facility and touchscreen-based controls are probably the only real "whiz-bang" modern features that I get a significant amount of use out of.

A few occasional use items are enabling face detect AF when I hand the camera to someone else, the Auto ISO customization on my Samsung camera, remote control via smartphone using wifi, and focus peaking (rarely, only with adapted lenses).

P.S. Are Auto ISO and image stabilization classed as modern features?
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    For me anything after 1960 is "modern" ;)

My first camera had no light meter and I learned to guess exposures - surprising how good one can get after a while.

I could be attracted to a simpler camera with far fewer menu options - and more dials. That is one attraction of the Panny LX100 (and the Fuji line).

I wish they had made the GM5 more like the LX100 *sigh*
  15. kingduct

kingduct Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2013
    On my G5:
    -I usually use the EVF, but often venture into using the swivel screen when I want interesting angles.
    -I generally stick to P mode, but occasionally venture to aperture priority and more occasionally use iAuto (like when I want to switch back and forth between having exposure compensation and using default exposure).
    -I switch back and forth between using regular and electronic shutter.

Those are the only big things that pop to mind. That said, those are pretty nice features to have and really do matter to me at this point (I would now have to think long and hard before getting a camera that didn't have a swivel screen and didn't have an electronic shutter).