How many of you have had to send your E-M5 in for cleaning?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Thinh Ly, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Thinh Ly

Thinh Ly Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2012
    Washington D.C.
    Thinking of getting an OM-D but not being able to clean the sensor on my own due to the 5-axis sounds like a pain. Is the Oly Supersonic Wave Filter good enough to avoid any dust in most circumstances?

2. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    I haven't- bought it day one. The Olympus sonic wave filter is the best sensor cleaning system out there hands down. I'm a prime lens sort of guy usually, so I change lenses often.

Granted- I won't change lenses in a place where I shouldn't change lenses.

3. briloop

briloop Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Mount Juliet, TN
    I took my OM-D E-M5 to my local camera store - Precision Camera in Austin, TX. They cleaned the sensor for free. Next time, I will try using a Rocket Blower. I've heard others have and it worked for them.

4. jeffryscott

jeffryscott Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 2, 2010
    Arizona
    Owned E1, E3 and a couple of OM-Ds, never an issue with dirty sensors.

My old Canons on the other hand, hated working on those files. So much dirt. Really made me appreciate just how effective the Oly system is.

5. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    I'm careful when changing lenses and haven't had my Oly for that long...BUT...I've taken around 3,000 shots with it, about two-thirds of that during a trip to Europe (mainly the Swiss Alps)...I changed lenses a few times a day. Near the end of the trip I decided to check and see how I'm doing for dust (take a picture at a narrow aperture of a white surface)...absolutely zero dust. I'm happy. :)

6. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Well, you went to Switzerland.
    I wouldn't have expected there to be any dust...
    Rudy

7. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    There are E-1 users who have never cleaned their sensor (that's 10 years). I've never had tomhave any of my cameras done.

1. Turn off the camera before changing lenses...there is a static charge on the sensor when it's on.
    2. Don't change lenses into the wind...the issue is with sticky stuff like pollen, not ordinary dust that causes problems.