1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

How many of you have had the OMD EVF burn out issue?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by JimUSNY, Oct 13, 2014.

1. JimUSNY

JimUSNY Mu-43 Regular

Nov 5, 2013
    Mid Hudson Valley NY
    Jim
    Yesterday I let my guard down for a split second to check a setting and the sun went thru my VF and I immediately got a small burn out on the center of my EVF, this makes 3 times for me, once on Em5 and now twice on my EM1.
    My diopter setting is one notch from full plus side, if that is the issue and at other settings maybe it is not as prevalent, but if you have had this happen what is your diopter set at?

and for any doubters I dare you to set your diopter at my setting and point it so the sun comes into it directly :) and it only takes a second, sun was at about 35 degrees altitude this time, I am now keeping track of that too :)
    at least its fairly small this time, other times it was quite a bit, but that was before I found out the sun is doing it and may have done it multiple times

2. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I've never heard of this. Is it permanent damage?

3. JimUSNY

JimUSNY Mu-43 Regular

Nov 5, 2013
    Mid Hudson Valley NY
    Jim
    oh yeah its permanent till they replace the evf screen for you, they do cover it under warranty, useable as long as it isnt too bad, but distracting.
    thought I saw a thread on it here somewhere.. the reason we think it may be diopter settings is because if not I would think it would be happening very often, after all most shots are with the sun behind you

4. JimUSNY

JimUSNY Mu-43 Regular

Nov 5, 2013
    Mid Hudson Valley NY
    Jim
    PS reading some other threads on this it doesn't occur till setting diopter to +6

5. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I wrote about mine going here: https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=69772. That said, I don't intend to get it repaired at the moment. I do have my dioptre set higher because of my need to wear glasses (I hate wearing them while photographing). Olympus Australia are acting extremely dumb on this issue, other than admitting that this occurs if the sun hits the eyepiece..

6. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    There are a couple of other threads on this issue:
    https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=64334
    https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=66303

I had it happen to my E-M1 while at the zoo. You can read details of my experience in the other threads, but in a nutshell it happened while changing lenses. The camera was pointing downward for only a few seconds while I dropped the other lens in my bag. It was very close to noon, so the sun was almost directly overhead. When I picked the camera up, there were three green spots in the viewfinder.

I know about the diopter theory and I also have mine set at 1 click from full +, but I don't accept that as the cause. In my mind, the cause is a design flaw. A camera should be able to handle things like being on a tripod in sunlight, hanging from a wrist strap, clipped to a belt clip, or hanging idle on a neck strap while you use a second camera. I love my E-M1 and I received terrific service from Olympus, but diopter related or not, this problem simply shouldn't exist.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    ^ I agree, for an 'all weather' camera, to be sunlight sensitive is the height of irony.

8. tornado

tornado Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    I wonder what technically can be done to prevent these situations? Anytime you have an EVF attached to lens, you run the chances of point-focused light reaching the display surface and cooking it. How is this managed on the imaging sensor, just with the "Hot Mirror" alone? Or might it be the sensor never gets point-focussed light due to the main lens geometry & design?

9. zulfur666

zulfur666 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    one thing I like to know is, does it happen if the EVF is turned ON while pointing into the sun or turned off aka either camera turned off or the auto switch feature switches to the LCD?
    Also I wonder if it helps for your eye glass people to get the soft eyecup cover from Oly instead of messing with the diopter? http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/parts/ep-13-optional-large-eyecup-e-m1.html
    I use it on mine and its MUCH softer than the original and does not leave any smears on my glasses.

10. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    ^ I asked Olympus Australia about this and they can't/won't tell me.

11. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    EDIT: Somehow I missed that someone already asked about the on/off part. I'd really like to know if it affects the camera if it's off or in sleep mode...if someone finds out, let us know! :)

Also...nice going, Olympus. I love my camera, but at the same time I hate it. Cracked LCD bezels, dials that fall off, batteries that don't make contact, eyepiece surrounds that fall off, etc, etc...and now this. One heck of a way to make a $1,000 camera...*sigh*

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Is this what an EVF burn looks like? The photo is from the upper left third of the EVF.

Viewfinder_A120009.

13. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Yep! This is mine of the full screen:

evf2.

14. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    I sent the E-M1 to Olympus yesterday for a repair and cleaning as I'm approaching the end of the warranty period.

15. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Maybe we should have a: "Post your E-M1 viewfinder blob photos" thread :smile:

14064321637_46966f8158_z. 20140523_20 by j.murphy2, on Flickr

16. rfortson

rfortson Mu-43 Veteran

Never heard of this before. Interesting. Luckily, I've never seen it in the years that I've had my E-M5.

17. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    I'd never heard of it before either. I asked about what a particle of dust looks like that is stuck under the SSWF thinking that maybe what was in the viewfinder (not knowing how the SSWF was constructed). I know exactly when this occurred, but not how. I was facing south with the sun in front and slightly to my right at 3:02pm as a Blue Angel aircraft approached from the left, about 50 feet off the deck and 100 feet in front of me. I pushed the shutter button and the lens went way out of focus. The next thing I see are some green spots and squiggly lines and dots. I set the camera down and picked up my 2nd camera.

I don't see how the sun could have shown in through the EVF viewfinder or even reflected into it as others have stated. Also different from the other cases reported my diopter setting is only two clicks from the center setting, not nearly at one of extreme settings as most others have reported.

18. tornado

tornado Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    See this thread were I've listed all the known DPR threads discussion this issue, and what some user/victim testing has shown to be causing the issue:

https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=64334&page=4&p=703292#post703292

bottom line is, powers does not need to be on at all, only very brief exposure at the appropriate angles to the sun, and diopter settings near max are needed to give these heat-induced blobs on the EM1 EVF. Other EVF systems can also show this effect, perhaps EM1 is more susceptible due to the extra large eyepiece optics.

19. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    My E-M1 is headed back to me (should arrive next Thursday) leaving the Olympus America repair facility on Friday. I called them and it was stated that any communication about the EVF would be included with the camera, so we'll see if Olympus America offers up any suggestions.

• Like Like x 1
  20. allanedie

allanedie New to Mu-43

Dec 1, 2014
    Thanks to all who have taken the time to identify and document this problem. As others have pointed out, a weather proof professional camera that can't stand being in the sun is more than a bit ironic.

At any rate, I came very close indeed to picking up a used OMD1 (still bloody expensive) before I ran into the information on this issue. I have now abandoned my attempt to purchase this camera. Sadly, as I don't know anything else out there that compares to the omd e1/12-40mm combo. My primary use would be for outdoor photography, and trying to do that with a camera which can be permanently damaged by sunlight is not acceptable to me. One of the important selling features of this camera for me is the quality of the viewfinder image. Having it affected by permanent colored blotches would drive me nuts whether or not it affected the recorded image.

To the OMD E1 owners, good luck, and thank for posting. To Olympus, shame on you, first for your poor design and inadequate warnings, and second for your continuing silence on this very important problem.

Cheers,

Allan Edie