How many of you have DSLRs?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Z-man, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Z-man

Z-man Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2011
    So I came on board the m43 format last year because I wanted to trim down size and investment dollars of my Nikon gear. For the most, I have been pretty content with my setup, although I am waiting for some faster zooms or faster and longer primes. One area that I think the m4/3 lacks is sports shooting. The live view just doesn't allow you to track moving subjects as well, especially if you are trying shooting in continuous mode. It makes me wish I had not sold my D300 & 70-300. Just curious. Do any of you guys use DSLRs too?
  2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I let my last DSLR die already. When shooting sports, I always use the EVF. I do fine with the VF-2, but the EVF on the new OM-D E-M5 has a special mode with double the frequency just for panning and sports.
  3. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia
    I've kept my crop sensor Nikon and my fast telephotos for shooting motor sport, my micro 4/3rds camera much as I love the form factor simply doesn't AF well enough for motorbikes and cars moving at 200 miles per hour.
  4. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    I have a D7000, 11-16 and 70-300, vr equivalent Olympus lenses are quite a bit more expensive or non existent, until then I'll keep my DSLR.
  5. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    I've owned over two dozen DSLRs in the last decade or so. But now it's all rangefinders and mirrorless.

6. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    I have an E-510, but only because I can't find someone to buy it off of me. I use my E-PL1 for everything.
  7. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    I have a Sony A300 with mostly older Minolta glass and a Nikon D70 which I bought very cheaply to use for IR. I do find them bulky since getting the E-PL1 and they aren't getting much use atm. However intend to keep tho may pare down my lens collection.....
  8. chromatin64

chromatin64 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 10, 2012
    A Leekist in York, UK
    I have kept my Nikon gear - D300 & D700 plus some nice glass; my G2 doesn't reach the quality of my Nikon kit for sports and wildlife.

I use my m43 kit, which is excellent in its own way, for travel and carrying around.
  9. Pim

Pim Mu-43 Regular

Sold my D300 and my 4 lenses about 6 months ago, when I realized I would very likely never pick it up again... While I loved the camera as far as performance and handling goes like many of us I got tired of carrying all that bulk and weight around. I don't really shoot sports or other "action" stuff, so while mu43 AF might not yet be up to par with DSLR It does not really bother me. And I have to say since my switch to mu43 I feel a renewed enthusiasm for the hobby, so I am sure I made the right decision...:)
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Nubest

Nubest Mu-43 Regular

Mar 21, 2012
    I own an E-500 with a 14-42 as a weak kit and a 70-300 for bird and nature shooting. I've always suffered from the lack of IS in the camera. Now I'm going to use the 70-300 with E-P3. Just waiting for an adaptor from eBay. Not going to sell the DSLR because nobody would want it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App
  11. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    my e30 is in the pantry... for some reason... lol
  12. drpump

drpump Mu-43 Regular

Oct 28, 2010
    I kept my near-worthless old DSLR and a longish zoom to use for sport. Haven't used it in the 16 months I've had my E-PL1. I'm hoping that by the time I need it, there will be a decently fast m4/3 camera.
  13. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    I'm a bit like that too. I'd get nought for my Sony A300 ....maybe somethin' for the macro lens I bought for it and have rarely used because it's huge...
  14. Neon

Neon Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2012
    North Wales,UK.
    I have only just come to m43 and still have my Canon 7D and three lenses but there days are numbered as I don,t think I will ever use them. At the moment I think I will sell them and buy more m43 stuff.
  15. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    Still hanging onto a 5D2, 50L, 85L, 70-200.
  16. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

My e30 has wheels.

I have Neekon or Nyekon D90 with a 17-55 2.8 stuck on the front of it. It needs a trailer to take it around so it is a loser often to the much more agile and slimmer GF1 (which has now lost to is sexier younger sister, the GX1)
  17. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    K20 and E-1 along with my E-p2. They all have their uses, and play well together.
  18. blb

blb Guest

Paddling against the current here, but after trying several mirrorless (m43 and Nex) I'm back to one camera - a t2i. I'm really just trying to learn the ropes and find a view and because for some things, like my boys' sports, the dslr works better, I've found that, for me, it makes more sense, and is less frustrating, to just have one camera right now. I expect that, at some point, I'll move back into m43 or some other technology - just as I've moved from desktop to laptop, but I don't seem to have the repulsion some here seem to have for dslrs.
  19. flipmack

flipmack Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2012
    irvine, CA
    I still have an Olympus E-520 and an E-410. The E-410 is my wife's, so that will be as permanent as marriage. The E-520...I'm trying to find a new home for it.

anyone interested in an E-520 with 14-54?