How many here are regular film users?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Keith, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Keith

Keith Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2012
    This is my first involvement with a forum that is based around a digital only genre of camera :43: and I was curious as to how many of you still shoot film regularly?

If so ... what frequency and what is your favourite format?
    • Like Like x 2
  2. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    I've got about 14 film cameras and try and rotate some film through them one after the other.

I've got a few favourites that have become regular shooters (Nikon F100, Konica Hexar, OM4Ti, Trip 35 and Pen FT) but they're all fun in their own ways.

Mostly 35mm but I've also got a 6x6 (Rolleiflex), 6x7 (Mamiya) and 6x9 (Fuji).
  3. Paul Amyes

Paul Amyes Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2011
    Hobart, Tasmania
    I still shoot film, mainly 645, some 35mm and occaisionally some 5x4. In fact for the last 4 weeks I haven't picked a digital camera up.
  4. slackercruster

slackercruster Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2012
    NE US
    Should do a poll on it.

I gave up film decade ago. Back in the day did all types of darkroom. I'd never go back to film. But the look of film is beautiful to behold.
  5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Keith, great to see you here! I just made my first post in a long time at RFF, which by coincidence relates to this thread. I shoot film sporadically and recently found myself missing shooting with a film rangefinder camera, leading to my posting over their asking for advice about lenses. In the end, I decided to buy back one of my favorite combinations ever: Bessa R3A and Nokton 50/1.5. The Bessa has arrived, and Nokton should be here today. Looking forward to it!
  6. Keith

Keith Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2012

Ahh ... the Bessa R3A! I had one and shouldn't have sold it ... what a great unpretentious little camera.

I lean mainly towards my OM-1 for my 135 film fix these days and occasionally dabble with medium and large format via a P67ii and Crown Graphic.

I seem to remember seeing you with an OM in your hands somewhere here in a thread I was browsing. :biggrin:
  7. CUB

CUB Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 19, 2012
    I shoot between 2 and 5 rolls a week on average of 35mm, 36 exposure film, mostly black and white ADOX CMS 20 and Kodak BW400CN when I need some speed. I also have a 4 x 5" monorail camera but don't use it often.

Equipment is Leica 24mm f/2.8 ASPH, 35mm f/1.4 ASPH, 50mm f/2.8 and 90mm f/2.8 lenses plus a Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5 and a Canon (LTM) 50mm f/1.4. Camera body is a Konica Hexar RF. I also have a Leica M9-P body plus a Visoflex reflex housing and 65mm macro lens. Finally there is a Nikon DSLR outfit with D3 and D800 bodies and a mixture of old and new Nikkors.

I use m4/3 purely for personal snapshots and when travelling not on business. If travelling for work, I usually take both the Nikon and rangefinder outfits and leave the m4/3 at home.
  8. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    I shoot one or two B&W rolls a month and develop them in paRodinal. Color I just do digital nowadays.
  9. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    I shoot a few 35mm rolls a month, with a cheap (but awesome) Nikon P&S, Yashica rangefinder, and a Minolta XD-11. I generally prefer the results if the circumstances are right, but if I feel I have to nail the shot or if I'm messing around with flash I reach for digital first.
  10. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Yes, OM-2n and OM-D :wink:.

Nokton has arrived, and here's my new old combo:

P7280064 by Amin Sabet, on Flickr

I had this combo a while ago and made the mistake of selling it. I thought the Zeiss Ikon ZM would be an upgrade, but it turns out I missed the Bessa. Good to have her back.
    • Like Like x 3
  11. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Count me in as a regular film shooter - 35mm....:smile:
  12. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Amin, this is just too awesome. Gorgeous rig.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. nseika

nseika Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2010
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Shooting at rate of 1 roll / 1.5~2 weeks
    Except if there’s event.
  14. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Okay, all you film shooters, where do you process the stuff??? The custom lab I once used went belly-up a few years ago and I haven't shot film since they folded, mainly because I don't know who I can trust to do it right -- not just souping the film, but printing and enlarging custom work as well.

Would love to hear some suggestions for good (or great) processing labs. Got 15 rolls in the fridge now just waiting for the right lab.

Any thoughts, please?
    • Like Like x 1
  15. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    I have pen f's and om1's for my 35mm

Pentax 110 for 110 film (released now by lomo)

A Polaroid sx70 for slightly larger than medium format(iirc?)
  16. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    I shoot black and white 35mm pretty regularly, about a roll a week, mostly to use an old Leica IIIb I have, but also with the Olympus OM-1 (on the shelf until I can replace the seals) and a recently acquired OM-10, picked up in good shape for $10. I regret most selling my 4x5 camera and lenses, and hope to get one sometime soon. I still have almost 40 film holders and the development tanks, so I'm good to go once I get the camera. I especially loved my old Schneider lenses, and miss the whole large format process. For an upgraded rangefinder, I'm looking at the Bessa R, something I can use my screw mount lenses on. I understand the rest of the R series is M mount and won't accept the L39 lenses. I'd love an M3, which will take my screw mount lenses, but they don't fit into the budgetary restraints.
  17. Lawrence A.

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
  18. Lawrence A.

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    I process my own black and white, and will print it again once my darkroom is moved. I don't know about color; I shoot digital exclusively for color.

But I still love b&w silver gelatin prints, and I'm a better darkroom technician than lightroom technician.
  19. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2011
    Not as regular as I'd like to be. I probably only shoot a roll every 2 months. :( I should get a wide-angle zoom and go hiking but I seem to be intent on getting a Minolta CLE instead.
  20. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    At this point I shoot more Polaroid film than I do digital.