How many have you converted to Micro 4/3?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by jbuch84, Apr 19, 2011.

1. jbuch84

jbuch84 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    James
    Just had my first conversion to Micro Four Thirds, and it felt good :) A friend of mine has had p&s camera forever and since having his new son he felt that he needed a good camera to "catch all the moments". He was looking for a DSLR just thinking that would be the only way to create nice pictures. After seeing the images from my GF2, and watching a few youtube videos he was sold. I talked him into the E-PL1 as it has the same sensor and IBIS to boot, and cheaper ;-)

So, how many people have YOU converted? I'm interested to hear everyone's stories!

• Like Like x 3
  2. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    I wish I had a friend like you so I did not have to buy my DSLR. :) I'm still trying to convince my bro-in-law, especially since they just had a baby. The size:quality ratio is just unbeatable. Wish me luck (and then he and I can maybe exchange accessories and lenses) :biggrin: !

• Like Like x 2
  3. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    A close friend of mine did purchase an EP2 off my recommendation.

I have another friend who went to m43, but I can't remember if I was directly involved in that or not. He used to have a Panny superzoom, and we talked a lot about cameras, including after I got my EP1. Didn't see him for a long time, and suddenly now he has an EP1, also.

4. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    The lab I work in bought one at my suggestion and the students in the lab have really taken to it. It's always checked out. So...one I guess.

5. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    3 so far plus the wife :)

Gordon

6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    My dad, older brother, and a few friends and colleagues.

7. greenandgold

greenandgold Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 19, 2011
    I have two conversions in the works, but I myself converted back to DSLR

8. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I haven't really converted anyone.... everyone loves their SLRs I guess. That and I don't know too many ppl that care enough for it. They are mostly "cell is good enough now" =)

9. jbuch84

jbuch84 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    James
    I hope to share lenses with my friend getting his too haha

and I can see why some want dslr, there are just a few limitations i've came upon especially with my GF2 (wireless ttl, handheld trigger, burst mode with flash) but the image quality in comparison to size is really nice!

10. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    M4/3 are good, but they can not replace a dslr currently. My wife and I use both a dslr system and a m4/3 system.

11. jbuch84

jbuch84 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    James
    yeah, i didn't really notice until i started getting into strobist stuff..

12. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    I hoped to convert my brother, but when I called him to tell him about the :43: pen wonders, he told me he had just bought a GF-1 the day before... pany/oly war is raging :smile:

13. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    how so? clipping issues or something else?

14. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    I convinced my mom my older sister and her partner in joining the m4/3 fun. Really cool to see all of us using m4/3 now (i used to own canon and my mom and sister owns nikon)

15. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    One -- my son who'll be fifteen this coming saturday. I guess he knows that he can always borrow some of dad's lenses.

I agree, on the condition he does his RTFI (Read The ... Instructions!) and doesn't take me for a walking Wikiphoto.

16. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    Olympus is not to bad for flash with with the epl1/2 as they support off camera flash easily, especially with all the olympus dslr stuff available.

But action is a weak spot as well.

17. kytra

kytra Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2011
    i love my GF&G bodies and lenses but I can't stop noticing the differences when I handle and shoot a Nikon D7000 or D90. The biggest advantage of m4/3 is compactness. When bulk/weight is not important, a DSLR is a better shooting package. So I am convinced but not converted :). I am on the verge of convincing a fellow worker who also has a DSLR.

18. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    Straight from Hawaii to Bora-Bora

My son Sacha donned his :43: last Saturday for his 15th birthday.

Courtesy a member of the board--apicius9--he also received from Hawai (!) on the same day a brand new Photoshop Elements 6 package. Warmest thanks again, Stefan! Here's a view of Bora-Bora for a change :wink:

Here's his very first shot #001 on the brand new card, straight ouf the camera uncropped .jpg.

SachaN_1BoraBora.

Which gives me an opportunity to show you our little fishing port, La Turballe. The ketch "Bora-Bora" was recently overhauled here to save its hull from termite. In the background you may guess why this part of the waterfront is nicked Le quai de la soif (thirst quay)...

• Like Like x 3
  19. labcoatguy

labcoatguy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2011
    Cambridge, MA, US
    Just talked the VP of the company I work for into getting an E-PL2 and VF2. He likes the retro styling and once I showed him the VF2 on my E-P2, he was sold on that.

20. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    No one. Most people who look and have played with my Camera around me aren't willing to trade off most things for the system. Some want more compact and some want faster AF and better quality.