How many days would you wait for "Buy & Sell" after payment has been made?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Youngjun, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Youngjun

Youngjun Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2015
    USA
    Youngjun
    Hello,

I am a little frustrated by the situation here :confused-53:.

I recently posted a WTB post to Buy & Sell.
    I had exchanged a few emails with one person, and made a payment through Paypal two days ago.
    After the payment was made, I didn't hear back any. I have emailed him asking for updates, but no response.

Maybe he suddenly got busy, and couldn't reply.
    I am new to the forum, and it is my first time buying from someone via Paypal (except for ebay).
    Is this a normal situation?

Thanks for the help in advance.

2. sprocket87

sprocket87 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2011
    Not normal. For me personally, if I am selling I ship the same day or next day after receiving payment. If I am buying from someone else I expect shipment within 1 or 2 business days, unless they have been very communicative and explained any delay.

That said, it is possible they had an emergency or something and haven't been able to respond to your messages. I'd give them until tomorrow before going to PayPal and seeking a refund.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I don't think it is normal, but 2 days would not cause me alarm. Concern, yes. For all you know they mailed the item and went on vacation.

I'd say wait 2 weeks and file a paypal claim if you haven't received any replies or the product. You'll get your money back.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Youngjun

Youngjun Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2015
    USA
    Youngjun
    Thank you guys for the quick reply!
    So usually the sell/buy process is quick. hmm..

I'll wait for one week, since I don't want to crash the deal.
    Hopefully he shipped the lens, and just forgot to check his email.
    One week should be more than enough for the package to arrive I assume.

5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David

Priority yes. If it was mailed first class than it could be longer.

7. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
  8. Youngjun

Youngjun Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2015
    USA
    Youngjun
    He emailed me back! :bravo-009:

I was so concerned, but he said he had some car issue + doctors appointment.
    He said he will send it this evening.
    I am relieved :).

• Like Like x 3
  9. sprocket87

sprocket87 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2011
    Great news!

10. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Feedback scores were really, REALLY, useful for deciding who to do deals with. I won't do any buy/sells here until they are reinstated.

11. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    While I agree they are very helpful. There are other resources to get feedback information. Even with the feedback scores here I often emailed the seller through their "reference" to confirm they were the actual referenced user.

12. b_rubenstein

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Right now, the best resource is Fred Miranda for doing business.

13. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Not yet. I am working on it.

• Like Like x 1
  14. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I only sign up on FM when I have more than the odd 1-3 things to sell. FM's pay to sell is not a bad model but I think it would be nice if you could post a WTB for free since that's an extra fee on the buyer only.

15. b_rubenstein

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Yay! Ratings are back! Thanks.

16. Youngjun

Youngjun Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2015
    USA
    Youngjun
    This guys has told me he was going to ship it on Monday the second, the day I made the Paypal payment.
    Then no email for two days.
    Emailed me that he is shipping me the lens on the third day.
    And I just got the tracking information he has shipped it yesterday, the ninth...via USPS first-class package.
    I wonder how long that will take.
    My plan to take it to the trip this week may not be successful. :shakehead:
    Much stress for one lens... This one must be worthwhile!

17. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    From where? Not sure I'd be holding my breath, sorry.

Of note though I have had things shipped USPS First Class not show any tracking until the same day they show up at my door. So there may be "some" hope.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  18. Youngjun

Youngjun Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2015
    USA
    Youngjun
    USPS tracking seems to be updating promptly.
    Estimated delivery - 12th. I am relieved :). I'm leaving on the Friday the 13th.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Glad to hear. I always immediately thank the purchaser for payment and tell them when I will be shipping the item. If a tracking number is not automatically generated, as on ebay, I email that when I get it.

I know I'm anxious when I've shelled out a lot of money to make sure the process is going smoothly. The night my mother died, I emailed an ebay purchaser to thank him for buying something I'd listed, and I got it to the P.O. the next day. I wanted to make sure my responsibilities in that area were taken care of before I left for the funeral. Even in that circumstance, you wouldn't just take off without telling your employer, and if you are selling and making money from someone, they have the right to certain expectation that an employer have. If you are a seller, it is important to keep buyers up to date, even when life throws you a terrible curve.

End of sermon, Amen.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Youngjun

Youngjun Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2015
    USA
    Youngjun
    Yet again, I visit this thread of my own again.

So I had few conversation exchange with a seller, and then sent money via Paypal last Wednesday, but the seller hasn't shipped the items.
    Unlike the previous experience, this time the seller replies to the conversation on the next day, but says he is "busy" and tells me to wait for the items will be shipped. In my opinion, he should be "busy" with shipping the stuff to me with a high priority. At least that's what I do when I sell stuff online.

First, the post said USPS Priority with handling time of 1-2 days which should've been last week (Thursday).
    Over the weekend he told me he will ship the items on Monday.
    I still don't see it popping up on myUSPS page.
    He told me "On the way" whatever that means on Tuesday. -He's on the way to pack the stuff?

Would it be rude to dispute the paypal transaction (I need to figure out how that works first), and tell him to cancel the sale?