How many cameras do you typically keep

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by newcomer15, Aug 14, 2016.

1. newcomer15

newcomer15 New to Mu-43

Apr 18, 2015
    Just curious.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app
  2. NCV

NCV Mu-43 Regular

Mar 9, 2016
    I tend to sell everything I do not use but!

I have a 5x4 View camera that one day I will get round to using again?

Two Nikon 801's that I used when I did professional theatrical photography that are so battered that nobody would want them. I should throw them away but I have not got the heart to toss out these two faithful companions of many fantastic photographic adventures.

There is the D300 that is loosing its rubber coating but which I keep with a macro for the slide copier I made for it.

I have 3 EM5's ( two bought very cheap SH) that lets me avoid lens changing with my 3 2.8 zooms.

An LX100 that I bought second hand to use for my work, but is such a lovely camera that it gets taken out when I do not want to carry a lot of gear.
  3. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I have two (GX85 and GM5) but strictly speaking there's a GF3 that works but isn't really in any condition to sell upstairs on a shelf. My wife has a GF7 and I've got a couple film cameras that work... But I'll say the two.[emoji14]
  4. ionian

ionian Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2016
    Kent, UK
    I have two - the gx7 and a Nikon d7100 with a few lenses. I plan to swap the Nikon for another m43 camera soon, my dslr days have passed.
  5. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I am currently trying to sell my GX1 and Pentax K-S2, which will drop me down to my GX7, TG-850 waterproof camera, and my film cameras (an inherited Minolta MD 35mm SLR, a Koni Omega Rapid 200 6x7 medium format, and a DIY 6x9 instant camera that takes Fuji Instax Wide film and uses a Mamiya Universal 90mm/3.5 lens).

The GX1 was hanging around because it is worth almost nothing, and the K-S2 was a trial run to see if I was missing anything by skipping over DSLRs in my camera journey (my opinion - nope, not at all). But at this point I just want to get rid of them and clear off the shelf.
  6. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    After a lot of experimenting I am down too.

1. em5ii (80% of my shooting) + 12-40 , 7.5, 20, 45, 75
    2. Sony a7 + adapted lenses (rarely leaves the house)
    3. Olympus Stylus Epic (35mm Film P&S)
    4. Mamiya 645 1000s (MF Film) might change this to a Hassy 500c

Other stuff comes and goes.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Every time I end up with 2 camera bodies, I feel like a wasteful idiot and I get rid of one very shortly. There's just no reason to have 2 cameras for an amateur like me. I always use my favorite anyway, so the second sits unused and unloved.

I occasionally buy a nice compact for when I want to travel lightly, but my phone always wins that battle so it sits unused, too.

So my answer is - 1 camera and 1 phone that can take nice pics.

(Now what to do about my too many lenses problem.... :))
  8. Turbofrog

Mar 21, 2014
    So did you keep the GX7 or the E-P5?
  9. Debbie.Cato

Debbie.Cato Mu-43 Regular

Feb 23, 2016
    I always have minimum two bodies due to shooting events. I once had a brand new canon 5d3 fail at a wedding half way through. Fortunately I had a backup and the bride never knew anything went wrong.
  10. tkbslc

I sent the E-P5 back during the 30 day return period. I just couldn't see when I would pick it over the GX7 when going out, since they are the same size and the Panasonic has the EVF.
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Turbofrog

Mar 21, 2014
    Makes sense. I was a bit surprised when you mentioned you'd picked one up, to be honest. It seems like the two cameras were real competitors when they were new, but the GX7 was a noticeable leg up in usability unless you really needed the extra 2 stops of IBIS from the Oly.
  12. tkbslc

It was just the emotion of $190 for a camera I thought about buying for $899 just 18 months prior. Also kind of wanted to try out Olympus, and I sort of got that out of my system. :)
  13. Turbofrog

Mar 21, 2014
    Fair enough! Sounds pretty much like my DSLR-dabbling. Interesting when you find that you made the right decision right from the get go...
  14. ionian

ionian Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2016
    Kent, UK
    I went the other way - ummed and ahhed over the d7100 or the GX7 a year and a half ago, ended up with the d7100 which I enjoyed using. Then I couldn't resist the GX7 when I saw it at a basement price earlier this year, picked it up and haven't touched the Nikon since. The camera is great but it's the lenses that I find truly outstanding, from a cost>quality perspective at least.
  15. seventysixersfan

seventysixersfan Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 24, 2016
    Alexandria, VA
    I have 6 cameras (not including my iPhone of course) but can justify keeping all of them for now because each fills a particular purpose; in addition, I keep some around for sentimental reasons, or I'm too lazy to try to sell them (not worth much anyway, so would probably not be worth the hassle).

For serious image quality needs: Pentax K-50, K-01
    For ultimate in compactness, in my jeans pocket: Canon S95
    In between the above: Olympus E-P5 and Panasonic GM-1
    For the pool, beach, etc: Olympus TG-820 tough camera
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
  16. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Too many.....

E-M1 for "serious" shooting.
    Air - travel
    E-PM1 - underwater with housing
    OM-1 - fun with film
  17. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I'm currently at 3:
    • 1x GH4
    • 2x E-M1
    I'm hoping that with the E-M1 II comes better long exposure noise performance, and better video as well. If so, I will sell all three cameras and buy 2 E-M1 II's. I'd really like to get back down to 2 cameras.

I'm also looking at renting and possibly picking up an original A7R, just for landscape shots. Better dynamic range, noise performance, and resolution make it an attractive option. I'll continue to watch as prices fall. Depending on how well the E-M1 II performs, it may quell those thoughts about an A7R.
  18. Turbofrog

Mar 21, 2014
    Did you get rid of your RX100 IV already?
  19. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Oops. Nope, still have that (and love it). I just consider it more a lens than a camera, as it replaced my 12-35 f/2.8.

I guess I'm currently at 4 cameras then, not 3 :)
  20. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    I have been pretty good about selling my older bodies while they still had some value. Even little value is SOME value. Otherwise they would be just taking up space at home. Once I am confident I really have no reason to use one again, I look to sell it.

Had and then sold an E-520 (sold that one broken as-is for parts even), E-3, E-30, and IR converted E-300. Only 4/3rds body I still have is an E-1 which I actually still use from time to time. E-M1 + IR converted E-P2 are my current bodies (and also my first m43 bodies).