1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

How many batteries for 6 day hike OMD

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by brissytim, Aug 30, 2012.

1. brissytim

brissytim Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 16, 2012
    In a couple of weeks time I am going for a 6 day hike. I will have no access to power source to recharge batteries. I honestly don't know how long I will have the camera on each day because It will all depend on the weather conditions. With great conditions possibly up to 2-3hrs a day. I plan to do some long exposure shots as well. I currently have 2 OEM batteries but I have not used the OMD enough to know whether this will be enough.

2. strang

strang Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2012
    I think 1 more OEM would be safe.

I've been trying to look for batteries in my area but still no dice. :(

3. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    One more than you take with you....

I think it's an impossible question to answer. Will you take 5 pictures per day? 50? 500? How many of those will be long exposure? Will you be using the rear screen a lot, or will you shut it off?

If you expect to use the camera a lot, I think 2 batteries probably won't be enough. And I'd suggest turning it off between shots, rather than relying on the auto time-out feature.

4. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

5. m43dex

m43dex Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 5, 2011
    Michigan
    Nothing worst than carrying a camera that you cannot use.... I also say one more battery to be safe and remember to set to evf prior to hike.

6. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    I ended up using two batteries until dead on a three day trip. I ended up buying a 3 pack of generics on eBay for $31 or so. They fit in the grip too so it makes it easy to swap out as needed. I was doing some longer trip-pod exposures so that couldn't help.

7. brissytim

brissytim Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 16, 2012
    I know its a hard question to answer, I was hoping for advice from people who had done something similar trip. If I had estimate maybe 200 photos a day, 15% being long exposure. Sounds like I should pick up an extra one. Can anyone comment on the battery life of third party batteries compared to OEM?

8. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    As a complete WAG, I would guesstimate that I get about 2/3 the number of exposures from my two Wasabi batteries, relative to my Olympus battery.

9. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    I wasn't hiking, but I took a 4-day trip in a remote area of Bolivia with no chance of charging batteries. I had the E-PM1, which seems to drain batteries at about the same rate as the OM-D. I shot an average of 200-300 pictures a day, and used all five batteries I brought. All but one was a generic, and I suspect they didn't have quite the capacity of the real thing.

So take this for what it's worth . . . may or may not apply to you. But about one battery/day is what I'd take. They're pretty cheap.

10. brissytim

brissytim Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 16, 2012
    Damn, thanks for the advice Mellow.

I must be shopping that the wrong place. I picked up one at my local store last weekend when I got the HLD 6, it was $90.

11. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    I was talking about the generics! They're more like $8.

12. brissytim

brissytim Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 16, 2012
    Yeah I figured, I just ordered a 3 pack for $20 off ebay. Hopefully 5 will be enough, just what I need more weight to carry :)

13. Be careful about relying on the the EVF to improve battery life. The Olympus FAQ on the E-P3 noted that the battery life may be reduced by approx 10% when using the VF-2 instead on the rear OLED screen for framing. I haven't seen anything similar for the E-M5, though.

14. Hudsonhites

Hudsonhites Mu-43 Regular

Jul 14, 2011
    NYC
    I'm currently on vacation with the OMD E-5 averaging about 150 shots & 1 battery per day some fill flash with the small accessory flash and some use of the continuous focus tracking.

No long exposures

I would take Mellow's advice of on battery per day

15. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    At least a battery a day. Since the OP is taking long exposures I would suggest 1 a day plus one. Batteries do not take up that much space in a pack.

16. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    i would even go for 1/day + 2 extra especially if it's a generic brand that normally drains faster than the originals, imho

17. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    I did three days hike and 350 picture (+1900 shots from a sunset time lapse) I brought 3 batteries and used 1.5. Time lapses eat batteries much less than regular shooting though. If you don't review your pictures and stick to the evf instead of the 3" screen, your batteries will last much longer.

For your trip, four would probably be a safe bet. I'd say that one per day is definitely overkill.

18. brissytim

brissytim Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 16, 2012
    Ok, I'm back. I did not shoot every day due to some bad whether however I ended up shooting just under 1000 photos which works out to approximately 160 photos per day. I took 4 batteries with me, 2 genuine and 2 from betterbatt (Australia). I ended up using 2 and a half. I started with the oly batteries so I cannot comment on the betterbatt ones yet sorry.

I did not change any of my shooting habits. Framed 50/50 in the viewfinder and on screen, previewed photos and even went through them all on 2 nights. All in very happy with how it went. I will post some of the photos on here when I get a chance to do a little PP. Hope that helps others in the same situation.

19. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    I find the genuine Olympus OM-D battery lasts a surprizingly long time - about twice as long as the genuine Olympus Pen batterflies. Therefore I think you might get 2 days of OM-D shooting per one genuine OM-D battery. And 1 to 1.5 days of shooting with an aftermarket battery.

20. Fred49

Fred49 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2010
    FRance
    The problem is, it is very difficult to foresee even when you hike a lot.
    My rate is between one battery for 3 days up to one battery per day.
    And i dont review my pictures at all.