How many - and if single which - AF points do you use?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Swandy, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    I just got the EM10 and one of my first impressions was - WOW 81 AF POINTS - that are all pretty small even without using the "small" selection.

On all my earlier 4/3 and m4/3 cameras I just used the center point (though I do like that Face Detection seems to override that only one point is selected).

Curious how many - and if multiple which ones - others use for general shooting? (Obviously for things like Macro this would change - and for people who use the LCD to select the point of focus.)

2. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Mine is set to center and then changed based on the subject and conditions.

3. LoneRider

LoneRider Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2014
    Marysville, WA.
    Wayne
    Home is center, but I will adjust to the object depending on composition.

4. Web-Betty

Web-Betty Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jun 16, 2013
    Denver
    Melissa
    I'm crazy and am always manually changing my AF point. It's a habit I'd love to get out of. ;) 

• Like Like x 1
  5. I simply use the touch screen with the single focus point set to its smallest. put it where ever I need it.

• Like Like x 2
  6. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    +1

7. Touchscreen to select the focus point and release the shutter, otherwise I use only the centrepoint or face detect if I am handing the camera over to someone else. With lenses that exhibit vignetting and edge softness wide-open the AF system needs to work harder when you select focus points closer to the edges of the frame.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I don't use center AF, too boring. Always use touch to focus. With 14x magnification, focus points are tiny.

9. rfortson

rfortson Mu-43 Veteran

I generally use center focus point and recompose if necessary. However, since getting the E-M5 and now the E-P5, I use the touch to release function on the camera quite often. When I bought the E-M5, I figured the touch screen was a gimmick I'd never use, but I really like it. As a result, I rarely use multiple AF points.

10. Ares

Ares Mu-43 Regular

Nov 13, 2013
    focus and recompose as i learned to shoot with a manual camera. I Should probably take advantage of the focus points especially when using some of the faster m43 glass as i have missed a couple of shots.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Web-Betty

Web-Betty Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jun 16, 2013
    Denver
    Melissa
    I always forget about the touch-to-focus. D'oh!

12. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    I don't forget about it but I have gotten used to using the EVF again and my eyelashes are not long enough to reach the screen!!!:rolleyes: 

13. Heavy Doody

Heavy Doody Mu-43 Regular

Sep 17, 2012
    Two scenarios:

If I'm shooting handheld or with the self timer I tap to focus/shoot.

If I'm shooting with a shutter release cable I manually choose a point.

14. I don't use 'touch to focus' as I'm almost purely an EVF shooter (no such thing as screens on a manual SLR) mostly I use centre point and adjust if needed.

15. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    I still do single af center point focus and recompose style. Old habits die hard I guess.

• Like Like x 2
  16. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I generally use center spot - focus and recompose. That is unless I am shooting fast action{sports or certain wildlife} then I use the largest array of AF points{I also switch to back focus - normally I use the AE lock for exposure}.

17. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    Smallest box in the center. Always. With one exception to the rule: when shooting BIF (birds in flight) I use all boxes and let the camera decide where to focus.

• Like Like x 1
  18. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    For landscapes all AF points are on. Based on the scene I put ones that are appropriate. For wildlife and macro I start with a center cluster of 3x3 and then fine tune as needed. Landscape and macro use S-AF. Wildlife uses C-AF.

19. HaViet

HaViet Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    I just got an E-PM2 and from reading on this forum, I am starting with a single AF and use the touchscreen to adjust my focus point. This is straight forward when shooting non human subject. However, when shooting portrait I am faced with both a face detection and focus point, that I am not quite sure how to balance both yet.

20. bozer

bozer Mu-43 Regular

Apr 4, 2013
    How do you enable the 81 focus points???

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.