1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

How many - and if single which - AF points do you use?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Swandy, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    I just got the EM10 and one of my first impressions was - WOW 81 AF POINTS - that are all pretty small even without using the "small" selection.

On all my earlier 4/3 and m4/3 cameras I just used the center point (though I do like that Face Detection seems to override that only one point is selected).

Curious how many - and if multiple which ones - others use for general shooting? (Obviously for things like Macro this would change - and for people who use the LCD to select the point of focus.)

2. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Mine is set to center and then changed based on the subject and conditions.

3. LoneRider

LoneRider Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2014
    Marysville, WA.
    Wayne
    Home is center, but I will adjust to the object depending on composition.

4. Web-Betty

Web-Betty Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2013
    Denver
    MJ
    I'm crazy and am always manually changing my AF point. It's a habit I'd love to get out of. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  5. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I simply use the touch screen with the single focus point set to its smallest. put it where ever I need it.

• Like Like x 2
  6. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    +1

7. Touchscreen to select the focus point and release the shutter, otherwise I use only the centrepoint or face detect if I am handing the camera over to someone else. With lenses that exhibit vignetting and edge softness wide-open the AF system needs to work harder when you select focus points closer to the edges of the frame.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I don't use center AF, too boring. Always use touch to focus. With 14x magnification, focus points are tiny.

9. rfortson

rfortson Mu-43 Veteran

I generally use center focus point and recompose if necessary. However, since getting the E-M5 and now the E-P5, I use the touch to release function on the camera quite often. When I bought the E-M5, I figured the touch screen was a gimmick I'd never use, but I really like it. As a result, I rarely use multiple AF points.

10. Ares

Ares Mu-43 Regular

Nov 13, 2013
    focus and recompose as i learned to shoot with a manual camera. I Should probably take advantage of the focus points especially when using some of the faster m43 glass as i have missed a couple of shots.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Web-Betty

Web-Betty Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2013
    Denver
    MJ
    I always forget about the touch-to-focus. D'oh!

12. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    I don't forget about it but I have gotten used to using the EVF again and my eyelashes are not long enough to reach the screen!!!:rolleyes:

13. Heavy Doody

Heavy Doody Mu-43 Regular

Sep 17, 2012
    Two scenarios:

If I'm shooting handheld or with the self timer I tap to focus/shoot.

If I'm shooting with a shutter release cable I manually choose a point.

14. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

I don't use 'touch to focus' as I'm almost purely an EVF shooter (no such thing as screens on a manual SLR) mostly I use centre point and adjust if needed.

15. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    I still do single af center point focus and recompose style. Old habits die hard I guess.

• Like Like x 2
  16. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I generally use center spot - focus and recompose. That is unless I am shooting fast action{sports or certain wildlife} then I use the largest array of AF points{I also switch to back focus - normally I use the AE lock for exposure}.

17. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    Smallest box in the center. Always. With one exception to the rule: when shooting BIF (birds in flight) I use all boxes and let the camera decide where to focus.

• Like Like x 1
  18. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    For landscapes all AF points are on. Based on the scene I put ones that are appropriate. For wildlife and macro I start with a center cluster of 3x3 and then fine tune as needed. Landscape and macro use S-AF. Wildlife uses C-AF.

19. HaViet

HaViet Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    I just got an E-PM2 and from reading on this forum, I am starting with a single AF and use the touchscreen to adjust my focus point. This is straight forward when shooting non human subject. However, when shooting portrait I am faced with both a face detection and focus point, that I am not quite sure how to balance both yet.

20. bozer

bozer Mu-43 Regular

Apr 4, 2013
    How do you enable the 81 focus points???