How long do you watch a photograph

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by anidel, Apr 17, 2012.

1. anidel

anidel Mu-43 Regular

May 13, 2011
    Twickenham, Uk
    For how long you examine a photograph?
    And what keeps you lookign at it?

Do you try to see what the photographer wanted to share?
    The technique used?

You do that for every photograph you stumble upon ?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    It all depends on the photograph. If it's a nude, I examine it for 3 minutes.

• Like Like x 11
  3. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Oh, Ned, Ned, Ned.

• Like Like x 1
  4. riveredger

riveredger Mu-43 Regular

Aug 30, 2010
    Northern NJ
    lol . . . thanks for that laugh :thumbup:

5. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    Anywhere from 1/2500 sec - 5 minutes.

The ones I look at the longest are the both visually pleasing and confusing enough that I'm trying to work out what the subject is or how the hell they managed to get the shot. Most of the time I don't really care what the photographer was trying to share.

I have hundreds of people in my G+ photography circles and read maybe 7 or 8 different blogs and tumblr streams that generate hundreds and hundreds of photos a day - if I tried to analyze each one I'd go crazy. I probably seriously (5min) look at one or two pics a day and just flip through the others to get a feel for what they are.

• Like Like x 1
  6. anidel

anidel Mu-43 Regular

May 13, 2011
    Twickenham, Uk
    ehehe good laugh.

:) I asked beacuse I sometimes just look at the photograph and only stop examining it if it catches my eye. I try to figure out what was it and once I realize it, I try to understand how the photographer managed it.
    Most importantly, I try to understand (but often fail) how much post-processing has gone into it.

The idea of the questions came after re-watching a scene from "Smoke" ([ame="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114478/"]Smoke (1995) - IMDb@@AMEPARAM@@http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTgxNjQ4MTQ0OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTQ2OTcyMQ@@._V1._SX100_SY139_.jpg@@AMEPARAM@@BMTgxNjQ4MTQ0OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTQ2OTcyMQ@@@@AMEPARAM@@SX100@@AMEPARAM@@SY139[/ame]) where Harvey Keitel (Auggie) tells William Hurt (Paul) that he needs to watch the pictures slowly.
    That made me think about how much I spend on them.

7. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    No very long. But I will return to good images often.

The photographers intent, if there is one, is irrelevant. I will judge an mage based on my experience. That is the only way you can do it.

The technique should be seamless in that it secondary to the image itself. If I notice the technique more than the image it probably means it is not a good image, just interesting technique.

• Like Like x 3
  8. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Smoke was a great movie.

If I remember correctly, Harvey Keitel was taking pictures of the New York street, right? Such pictures could be jam-packed with people and each person has their own story -- their own moment of life they are living when the picture was taken. I can definitely see how you might spend a long time examining such pictures and trying to figure out what was going on with each person in the shot.

• Like Like x 1
  9. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Depends on the setup. If it's part of a series with some sort of common theme, then I like to look thru the whole series, and come back to certain shots.

A really good landscape will often have interest in the foreground, middle and background. if printed large, I like to soak that in.

Many good photographs will just have that 'something' that draws you in. If I feel it, then I'll spend more time looking and thinking about it. There's lots of famous photogs I just don't get, and I've tried to spend more time looking, but it just gives me headaches, so I stopped doing that.

For nature shots, I'm also drawn by the subject itself, so I start to look for clues about habitat, species, behavior etc.

• Like Like x 1
  10. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Could you post some of the images that you like from other people if it isn't too much trouble? Or maybe PM me? Thanks.

11. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    I normal don't like list of photographers--these are really personal choices. You can do a search for these photographers:

Mary Ellen Mark
    Sabastiao Salgado
    Raghubir Singh
    Domon Ken
    Kevin Bubriski
    Hiroshi Hamaya
    Olivia Parker (black and white work)
    Shoichi Ono
    Josef Koudelka
    Alex Webb
    Eugene Richards

Oddly enough, my work is mostly color and I am looking at painters now more than photographers.

12. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

YEs Ned and It can be a nude tree , nude flower , nude sun , nude beaches etc etc.. only human beings wear clothes and everything else on this planet is actually NUDE..lol
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

• Like Like x 1
  13. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Oh, Bhupinder, nude beaches can take way more than 3 minutes to study.

(Sorry, my inner twelve-year-old couldn't resist that one.)

• Like Like x 2
  14. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Haha... Yes, I love nude beaches even more than nude photos. :biggrin:

Those are the pleasures I miss since moving mainland off the Islands. :(

• Like Like x 1
  15. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    UK
    sooo true Bhupinder....I often think humans are the least attractive beings naked....

16. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    UK
    I can relate to this Ned. I was born near the sea and still live only 10 miles from it ( on a different continent now lol ). I couldn't survive without my beach " fix"..

17. anidel

anidel Mu-43 Regular

May 13, 2011
    Twickenham, Uk
    I don't see my name in that list!! :)

18. anidel

anidel Mu-43 Regular

May 13, 2011
    Twickenham, Uk
    Anyway that was interesting. I was curious to know how other look at pictures.

It is definitely interesting how few people actually try to understand the photographer intent (unless it's very clear from the image).

Thanks!

19. Rover

Rover Mu-43 Regular

Apr 5, 2012
    If it grabs me, I can look at it for a while, or repeatedly. I don't look for the message the photographer was tring to capture, I look for what it is telling me.

• Like Like x 1
  20. ripleys baby

ripleys baby Straw clutcher

Aug 10, 2011

:rofl: Strange when now and again, things go off topic.

FWIW I think i can tell right away if i like a shot or not. I never try to read anything into it . I do find myself going back to look at an image again and wondering why i like it.

• Like Like x 1