How long do you predict the Panasonic DMC-G5 will be avail "new" before discontinued totally?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by unstable_rider, Feb 9, 2014.

1. unstable_rider

unstable_rider Mu-43 Regular

Feb 9, 2014
    Land of Lakes

First post from the new guy here.

I have been enjoying the M43 system for a few months (Olympus PEN 2) and am seriously considering a move to the wonderful Panasonic DMC-G5.

I confess, I really had not followed the Panny line of M43 bodies, as I am pretty happy with my Olympus Pen 2, yet I take advantage of some of the Lumix lenses that I certainly enjoy.

I met this gal lately, whom showed me her Panasonic G2. I was quite impressed that it had a viewfinder, flip/rotating screen, and more ergonomic feeling body (the camera, not the gal).

In some brief research, I noted quickly that the Panasonic G2 is essentially on about the same level as my PEN 2, as far as megapixels. The nice gal mentioned that Panasonic has the DMC-G5 that I might be more happy with, many of the same features of her G2, but a couple more megapixels, and some other features I might enjoy as I like to shoot HDR. Seems the DMC-G5 will shoot a pretty long bracketing burst for me, like 7 images?

Anyway, I started looking for a new in box (not refurb) Panasonic DMC-G5.

I was startled to see that a few sources, I think B & H, already show them as "discontinued".

I was pleased to see Amazon had them (body only) for $349. (as of 02/09/2014 when I last checked).

My quest, or "question" really is, how long does anyone think the DMC-G5 will be available before going extinct from reputable sellers?

Should I chance it and wait awhile to see if the price drops even more, or are they likely to be all gone, zip, no more, extinct?

Certainly, they would always be avail. through such sources as ebay, but I feel fairly safe trading with Amazon thus far, if people like B & H can't accommodate.

Any qualified predictions?

$349 for the DMC-G5 body-only is about the top of my price point (I already have several M43 lenses). I can't afford to go any higher than that, really, and if I was going to, I would probably invest in a full size DSLR at that point and keep a foot in both worlds.

I am very happy with the images I am getting from my Olympus Pen 2. I am amazed at the INDOOR and natural light shooting results. I also like the fact that typically the M43's don't frighten people into thinking your a stalker, you don't look like a newspaper reporter, and people don't freeze up or "pose" as much.

I am an older shooter at 54, and confess I have trouble seeing the screen on the back of my PEN 2 when outdoors. I refuse to pay for the outboard eyepiece for it. I see the need for the Panasonic's included viewfinder, and I can visualize uses for the flip/rotate screen for more creative stuff, low vantage point, etc.

Comments, hypotheses?

Will I experience a notable gain in image quality in general when stepping from my PEN 2 to the DMC-G5?

My over all plan would be to sell my PEN 2 body upon receiving / purchasing a DMC-G5.

Thanks, and sorry for the long winded first post.
  2. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Most retailers have already blown out what they had. The G5 and the kit lens were going as low as $299. That said, you can pick up very clean used ones around $200.

Are you a jpeg shooter or raw? Oly and Panasonic jpegs are pretty much polar opposites, while I love Panasonic bodies, I just can't stomach the output or the fact that Panasonic does not have a native or PC raw converter. In fact so many people have issues with the jpegs out of them that there is a healthy amount of custom profiles for purchase or download for Panasonic bodies.
  3. unstable_rider

Feb 9, 2014
    Land of Lakes
    Thanks for the quick first-reply.

I pretty well only shoot RAW, and as I indicated I am quite impressed with my Oly Pen 2, have no issues handling or reviewing the files- I have access to the Adobe CC family to include Photoshop CC and Lightroom.

So, your saying I may not like the feel, handling and quality of the Panasonic RAW files?

If so, that might be deal breaker for me : (

Some of my better end-results end up output to canvas to decorate my space.
  4. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    I shoot the G5 and for the current prices it is an unbelievable bargain. Handling and ergonomics are top notch but still very small and compact. If it gets discontinued, there is always the G6. The G7 is on the horizon so I am guessing the G6 prices will eventually fall to current G5 levels once G7 gets released. Of course if you keep playing the waiting game you'll never get a camera. lol.
  5. Box Brownie

Box Brownie Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 8, 2014
    Essex, England
    I think G5 is soon to be gone as new stock. Here in the UK it is beig sold off at about one third of the launch price and several nation wide companies are advertising it. However, my wife had to order hers last week as the very large London retailer where she tried to buy had sold out. It took several days to get one in for her and it was obvious that stocks are now running down.

If I understand correctly, the G5 was launched less than a year when Panasonic launched the G6 which is also widely on sale here at discount price (although not as low yet as G5) Presumably, in a few months time the G6 will also be a 'bargain basement' purchase, so all is not lost if you miss the G5 The G6 is a more bulky looking camera than G5 and also is nore 'flashy' in appearance which might bother you if, like me, you prefer discrete cameras.

We have only had a few days to examine the seems like a nice little camera with good ergonomics and which can be 'personalised' to a high degree using just a little of it's MASSIVE complexity. In fact, this camera has 'more tricks than a monkey has fleas', and one wonders why it needs some of the absurdities that it has! Fortunately, most of the stupidity can be turned off, and then the camera becomes fairly intuitive in use to the point where it is not intrusive in making images. The supplied software, which includes 'Silkypix' is essentially rubbish. However, we have found that RAW files can be converted and viewed in Picassa as a stop gap and results are very encouraging. the most recent edition of picassa will carry out non-destructive editing on the RAW files so that the originals keep their integrity.......

...Hope some of this helps!
  6. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    In terms of IQ my wife has a G3 and that is better than the 12MP sensor in my daughters EPL-3 ( which I think is the same sensor as the Earlier units).

I would assume that the G5 would be slightly improved over the G3 but not yet at the EM-5/EPL-5 level. At first we struggled with JPEG's out of the G3 ( my wife does not like PP) but after not using "auto White Balance" but using a "fixed" WB we are getting more consistent results so that we can see the impact of other changes that were being masked before.
  7. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Where on the horizon is this G7 you speak of? I've never seen a single informed rumor or leak to the effect that Panasonic was continuing this line. I certainly WISH there were a G7 coming soon, but one could make the case that the GX7 is it for a Panasonic offering in that product space.
  8. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    I read it on 43 rumors, it wasn't anything specific but they said it was coming. I certainly hope they don't replace the G line with the GX. I much prefer the G series handling and articulating screen over the GX7 handling.
  9. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Just to clarify a point for the original poster: The G6 is pretty much the G5 with a better electronic viewfinder and the addition of wif-fi. So, if you like the G5, chances are you'll like the G6 - especially if G6 prices fall if and when a G7 is introduced.
  10. TheRenaissanceMan

TheRenaissanceMan Mu-43 Regular

Oct 11, 2013
    Just the opposite, actually. In my experience, Panasonic's OOC Jpegs don't hold a candle to Oly's, but their RAW files are wonderful to work with. And although I found it sometimes took some tweaking to get the colors just right, picking up the Huelight color profile for $10 solved that issue completely.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mu-43 mobile app
  11. unstable_rider

Feb 9, 2014
    Land of Lakes
    I was just reading about that last night. A couple desirable features of the G6, certainly. Thus far though, I am seeing about a 130-150$ spread from the G5 to the G6, body only deals.

Someone whistle if they know of a G 5 body-only deal from a reputable source under $300. Or a staggering deal on a G6 sometime soon. I will watch the "deals" thread on this forum too.
  12. chipbutty

chipbutty Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2012
    Sheffield, Yorkshire, England.
    Yes, a couple of the main improvements. The are other notable improvements, capacitive screen (makes a huge difference) and focus peaking. A nice comparison here I nearly got the G5 but got a great deal on the G6.

Really interesting review of the G6