How long do you keep the battery in camera when not in use?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by diselgl, Dec 13, 2015.

1. diselgl

diselgl Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2014
    Hi there. I do not know if this topic was already discussed, if it was, please redirect me.

I have an omd and always take the battery out when I'm done for the day even if I'll be using it in a day or a week after. Is it ok to leave the battery inside the camera in storage for say 2-3 weeks? How long do you leave the battery inside the camera when not in use?
  2. janneman

janneman Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2012
    Jan (John) Kusters
    E-M5 (old) and PM2 here. I leave it always in. As long as the camera is turned off, there seems to be no loss of power. The PM2 gets a lot less use here, but even after a month or 6 weeks, the battery is still good for an evening shooting (100-200 pictures, still no warnings).
    Tests I have done with the E-M5 show the only factor really effecting the battery life is the time the camera is switched on. With the E-M5 I get between 2 and 3 hours of 'switched-on time', no matter how many frames I shoot in that time.
    My personal low was 5 shots with the camera permanent on, the LCD was used to look through a microscope, with only a shot every half hour or so. And my personal high was 1800 shots during a car ride, with the camera set to a high frame rate.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    From my days with DSLRs and now M43, I only remove a battery to recharge it or swap it for a charged battery.
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  4. yendikeno

yendikeno Mu-43 Regular

Sep 5, 2015
    Same here.
  5. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    The main battery in my E-M1 lasts months between charges because I always swap the grip battery, I'm not really sure how long exactly though.
  6. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

I also do not ever remove the battery pack except to recharge it and then I swap in a fresh one while the old one is on the charger. I don't feel the need to remove the battery unless the camera is being packed up for long-term storage or to sell.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    I tend to leave propriety batteries in their host device since they're usually well made and are unlikely cause any damage through fault. That said I've had a mobile phone battery balloon and push the back off the phone. but it was a cheap phone / battery. I always store generic cell batteries from my flash guns in a separate container though, even rechargeables, because of the risk of damage from leakage.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    My cameras always have batteries AND cards in them and a lens attached. I don't want to pick them up in a hurry and then be scrambling around for battery or card or miss a shot because I'm busy mounting a lens.

My charged batteries have an elastic band around them so I know which ones are ready to go and which ones are used.

My formatted cards are face up in the case, used cards face down.

Get in to these or some other organisational habits and you'll never be confused about what state anything is in.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  9. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    • Like Like x 2
  10. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    Ellicott City, MD
    all the time here...
    • Like Like x 2
  11. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I would not worry about this unless you know the camera is going in long term storage for months or more. Even then, you'd rarely see an issue.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    I once had a Fuji zoom camera that ate batteries to death, had to leave the battery door open in storage.
    I have not had a single problem with m4/3rds bodies regarding batteries.
  13. FastCorner

FastCorner Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2011
    Unlike my old Panasonic G2, my E-M5 Mk2 resets its clock without a battery over a long time, so the battery always stays in except when swapping. No ill effects yet.