How likely is an UWA prime?

crcal

Mu-43 Regular
How likely do you think it is that Panasonic or Olympus will give us an Ultra Wide Angle prime like a 7mm or 8mm pancake lens?

Just been thinking about it lately since I love the wide end of my 7-14mm lens and I'd love it if it was a smaller prime at the widest end.

Krang

Mu-43 Veteran
Ultrawide and small is probably quite hard to design. Just look at the 8mm fisheye size and imagine it corrected. The 8mm is also already quite a small lens…

I would also like to see a wide angle lens but I doubt it's going to be very small. But I guess they will first release the more "normal sizes". The format is even missing the 25mm(50mm equiv.) lens.

Narnian

Nobody in particular ...
Real Name
Richard Elliott
I would be happy with a 10/2.8 pancake (if possible). That plus the 14/2.5 and the 20/1.7 would make a nice walking around set.

crcal

Mu-43 Regular
Given the size of the market, another uwa prime is very unlikely any time soon.

however, the 8mm fisheye can be used as one
Yeah, you're probably right.

I don't really want to spend $800 on a fisheye and then spend a lot of time correcting the images.

Ultrawide and small is probably quite hard to design. Just look at the 8mm fisheye size and imagine it corrected. The 8mm is also already quite a small lens…

I would also like to see a wide angle lens but I doubt it's going to be very small. But I guess they will first release the more "normal sizes". The format is even missing the 25mm(50mm equiv.) lens.
True.

I would be happy with a 10/2.8 pancake (if possible). That plus the 14/2.5 and the 20/1.7 would make a nice walking around set.
I would love a 10/2.8 lens as well! But it probably wouldn't be small enough to be a "pancake."

feppe

Mu-43 Regular
Wide apertures are not that necessary on an UWA. You can handhold such a short focal length much easier than 20mm, let alone a telephoto. Also, the shooting you do on a UWA generally requires small apertures, rather than large.

Sign me up for anyting smaller than 10mm, sharp and with little distortion!

PeterB666

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
Yeah, you're probably right.

I would love a 10/2.8 lens as well! But it probably wouldn't be small enough to be a "pancake."
So would I. If you could do it at about 3/4 the size of the 9-18mm M.Zuiko zoom (when collapsed) or less, I would probably consider it. Much of my shooting is done at 9mm and I could manage at 10mm.

linkedit

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I've been hoping a prime like that would come out for m43. My favorite lens on my F3 was the 20mm f/2.8.

crcal

Mu-43 Regular
Just can't imagine why a company would make a specialized lens like a fisheye over an UWA. The only thing I would consider a fisheye lens for is an expensive paperweight.
My biggest beef about the fisheye is the cost of it, which ensures I'll never buy one.

Jackson Miller

Mu-43 Rookie
Fisheyes suck for UWA, especially if you are shooting video and cutting back and forth to lenses with no distortion. Looks horrible.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom