How is the video quality from the EM10?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by memzinla, Sep 6, 2014.

1. memzinla

memzinla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    How is the video quality from the Olympus EM-10? Is the quality like the EP5? I didn't like the video quality from that camera. I like the video quality from the EM5 and EM1.

2. stripedrex

stripedrex Do or do not. There is no try.

Jun 8, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Alex
    Be careful what reviews say when you enable stabiliazation on 3 axis for video from what I understand it crops for the other 2 axis so resolution is less.

3. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Actually the Ep5 produces good (not great video) and the EM1 with its higher bit rate and 5 axis stabilization should be better. I think the Em10 has the 24 mb rate, but using software as portion of the stabilization would cause me to think (no experience with the Em10) that the EP5/Em5 might be better for hand held video. I've found on the EP5 if you don't have any panning that goes beyond "extremely slow" it produces very good video that can be transformed into something like Cineform HD codec that won't degrade in processing. Good enough to use if you know your editor well, but not up to par with Pany's or Canon/Nikon DX stuff.

4. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    If you're at all concerned with video quality, the Panasonic GH3 or GH4 wins hands down. Faster bitrates in both models and some framerate choices. However no IS other than what's built into the Panasonic lenses, but folks like me learned to shoot stills at fairly slow shutter speeds in low light by stabilizing our bodies (against walls, door frames, trees etc.) long before lens or in body stabilization came along.

With Olympus offering only one framerate (30fps) that kind of killed Olympus use for video for me. I bought (and still use for stills when IBIS with long lenses is wanted) an E-M5 with an eye towards using it for motion picture where I had to have the camera in motion. But the motion picture shot with my GH3's (and now the GH4) has tonal values that look much more solid I may not be able to intercut the footage, to say nothing of the fact Olympus footage often "macroblocks" when motion of tall grass waving in the wind (or tree foliage moving) is in the frame.

5. ttomino1980

ttomino1980 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 19, 2014
    Slovakia
    I am not much into reading manuals ...so I appologize that I ask on forum directly for advise!

I have E-M10 and want to ask you how should I do video
    - I know its recomended to use MF but ...with my native AF lenses(eg P14mm) I always strugle which way I am changing focus ...to near objects or far objects .. I know ...stupid
    - I have some manual OM lenses but dint used them to video yet ...not sure if it change anything in focus feeling
    - so I try to use AF lenses... but how can I control/change focus during recording ? ..taping on screen dont help nor pushing AF button
    - is there any way to utilize AF during video playback ...do I use wrong mode/setting ? ..if not on E-M10 ...are the PANA models or EM1/EM5 having it ?
    - also ...on EM10 ...what is the recomended mode ...P/A/S/M and whats the difference on video Q ? ...I see no difference if I use A with 2.5 ...or use S and use 1/160 ...eg same DOF
    -... also strange that if I choose A 2.5 ..I dont see how other 2 ISO/S are calculated by camera ..so I its hard for me to understand the logic without seeing how the numbers are changin by different settings

I am planning to buy GM5/GF7 as a 2nd body...not now but later when some good firesale :) ....are they better in video settings and video handling ?

6. GBarrington

GBarrington Mu-43 Veteran

I can't compare it to other cameras, the E-M10 is my first "still" camera with video capability. I would say, however, that the image quality, on a tripod, at least, is about as good as the series of middle tier Canon consumer grade video cameras I have had in the past.

Full disclosure, I do not consider myself a serious videographer. In fact, I am uncomfortable using the term videographer to describe my video activities in the first place. I am a casual "happysnap" movie taker. I take movies of the kids and now, the grandkids, holiday trips, and assorted family gatherings. At best, it is a supplement to my stills photography.

Sound quality is OK, but not spectacular. It is adequate for the spoken voice and non critical ambient sounds. I don't think you would want to shoot video of a concert where the audio quality of the music is important with this camera, for example.

Handheld, I would say the IQ drops a bit. I suspect that is less an artifact of the component quality, so much as it is that of the 'mini-dslr' design of the camera body. I don't think that form factor really lends itself to holding a camera steady for video in the same way that the "tall-skinny" form factor of a traditional "movie" camera has.

Because of this, I think the 3 axis IS of the EM-10, while perfectly adequate for still photography, is probably weaker for video than the 5 axis version. More full disclosure, I've never used 5 axis IS.

Personally, I am happy with the video quality of my E-M10. It is perfectly adequate for the sort of video I am likely to shoot. It is convenient not to have to carry a different camera, and it is far more versatile, and the image quality is higher than the quality ot the typical smartphone video feature. But in truth, I would not buy it for serious video work.

7. ttomino1980

Apr 19, 2014
    Slovakia
    Th
    Thanks info!
    But my Q is ...any possibility to change focus during recording using shutter button or touchscreen? ...or MF only?

8. GBarrington

GBarrington Mu-43 Veteran

Well I understand that they sell the E-M10 with the EZ kit lens in Europe, so I assume there is some way to electronically zoom the lens from the body, I have never personally used that feature.

9. ttomino1980

Apr 19, 2014
    Slovakia
    Mhhh
    ...i think its misunderstanding

I dont need to zoom ....have only primes anyway ...i want to change focused subject during recording...but to my knowledge in S-AF video you cant control focus point during recording ...only before recording
    ...so going to try OM full manual lenses as the focus by wire is not good on AF lenses

10. Effuse

Effuse Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2014
    BC, Canada
    Here is a quick sample of a video I shot a while back, All handheld with the Oly45mm I have incredibly shaky hands considering the video came out watchable and not sick inducing.

• Like Like x 1