1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

how is the RRS grip for the OM-D?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by bigbluebear, Jul 23, 2013.

1. bigbluebear

bigbluebear Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2013
    Hello,

Are there any owners out there that have the RRS arca swiss plate for the OM-D? How does it compare with the Olympus grip? I like the feel of the olympus grip and was curious if the RRS grip is similar in shape.

I wouldn't be changing except for the fact that I'd like to get the OM-D mounted on a tripod for some landscape shots.

2. tomh

tomh New to Mu-43

I have the Olympus OM-D grip and the RRS OM-D camera plate+grip.

I used the part of the Oly grip that has the vertical piece for about a year and liked its feel and the extra shutter release placed forward for handy operation. But, I got tired of having to undo the grip after every outing to charge the battery.

The RRS grip leaves the battery door accessible so it can stay in place. It has a different shape than the Oly grip and your fingers fit in different places. You need to hold the camera a little differently for your finger to hit the shutter release comfortably. Once you find that position the RRS grip feels like a natural part of the camera and it is easy to use. The RRS grip is better for carrying because it fits your hand very well.

I hope that helps. People have different hands and one size does not fit all, but I have had a positive experience and wish I had bought the RRS grip sooner.

3. MikeWhitten

MikeWhitten Mu-43 Regular

Dec 29, 2012
    Hi,

I keep an RRS grip on my OM-D all the time. It just feels right; don't know how to describe it otherwise.

Mike

4. bigbluebear

Jul 2, 2013
    Did u go grip, guo plus bottom plate, or grip plus l plate?

Sent from my HTC One using Mu-43 mobile app

5. 350duser

350duser Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, QLD
    Have the RRS L plate and grip and find it very useful.

Not bulky, gives just that much more area to hold the camera. Balances well with most prime lenses except probably the 75. easy access to battery compartment and SD card compartment. Easy to lift the LCD. xtremely well enginnered.
    No extra shutter button in portrait mode.
    Easy on n off on the tripod.

Love it.

6. MikeWhitten

MikeWhitten Mu-43 Regular

Dec 29, 2012
    Minimum is grip plus bottom plate; the attaches to the bottom plate.

I got the l-plate as well. Since for the OMD it's removable I actually leave it off most of the time, only attaching it when doing tripod work. I see that as an advantage over the l-plates on the larger bodies; I use one on my Canon.

7. mring1

mring1 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2012
    Phoenix, Arizona
    John Taska
    Another positive report

My first two accessories for my E-M5 were the m4/3s 40-150 and my RRS grip plus L Plate. I actually don't routinely keep the L plate mounted, but the grip stays on my camera all the time. Full disclosure: I didn't find the "naked" E-M5 all that difficult to use to begin with.

However, the RRS adds the one dimension that I most wanted: a little "depth" or added grip to the camera. For me, it adds such a natural feeling that it just seems to be part of the camera. I also have an Arca-Swiss ballhead that moves from my tripod to my monopod, and it attaches flawlessly.

So...the obvious question is: RRS/JM, etc., grips vs. the HLD-6. If you're doing a job that requires a LOT of shooting or frequent use in portrait orientation (weddings, etc), then the HLD-6 is a no-brainer. If you're using the larger HG/SHG lenses, it makes sense. If you have really large hands, it MAY be in your interest to get the HLD-6. The E-M5 is one of the most idiosyncratic cameras made, and hand size is no guarantee of comfort. I've read posts from people with large hands who found a naked E-M5 easy to use, and some with folks with medium to smaller hands who found it awkward.

I played with an E-M5 with both HLD-6 attachments, and I found it bigger than I wanted. Add to that the fact that I'd have to buy both, when I really only wanted the landscape grip, and the decision was easy.

The other advantage for both the RRS and JM grips is they have excellent return policies. You can buy it and if you don't like it, return it in 30 days.

It really enhances the ergonomics for me. As always, YMMV.

8. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I use just the RRS base plate on my EM5, and it alone adds enough height to the body that it's easier to grip. Granted, my longest lens is only the mz40-150. It's also great that the body sits flat, and I can pop it on and off my Arca Swiss-compat ball head quickly.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

9. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    For me the Arca-Swiss plates on the bottom and L-plate made the decision to go RRS easy. I like the hand grip as well.

10. bigbluebear

Jul 2, 2013
    Thanks for the reports everyone. I tried the OM-D naked after using the HLD-6 for a few weeks and I do like the gripped omd better.

I'm going to put the HLD for sale and pick up the RRS

11. Richella

Richella The Wandering Scotsman

Aug 21, 2011
    Kuala Lumpur
  12. mring1

mring1 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2012
    Phoenix, Arizona
    John Taska
    As I noted in this thread, I have the RRS and this video is a good demo of what the grip looks like and how it works. One grip accommodation I made, which actually stemmed from my experience with the E-500, is that I put my pinkie finger UNDER the grip. That puts my middle finger directly into the RRS grip indentation and positions my index finger over the shutter, front control wheel, F2 and movie buttons.

One thing you should be aware of: you really can't wrap your fingers around the RRS grip. It's not that deep. And, as the video shows, with a larger lens, the distance between the grip and the lens barrel diminishes. That's why I think the HLD-6 may be a better solution if you have HG/SHG lenses.

(OT) The whole ergonomic/grip issue with the E-M5 had caused more threads than almost any other subject. And if you think about it, and have been around awhile, that's pretty great. Remember all those threads about mediocre sensors and slow autofocus? Oly really has made a lot of progress.

13. pclewis

pclewis Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2013
    TX/ME
    RRS Grip

I use the OMD with a Gordy wrist strap and the RRS L bracket and grip. Neither come off the body. I find it is feels a very secure way to hold and carry the camera. I have had L brackets on most of my cameras over the years.

Phil