How is the Oly 14-150 + MCON adapter for macro?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Amin Sabet, Apr 25, 2014.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I don't do a lot of macro but was inspired by Vincent Tsai's awesome capture here and want to try to do some. Wondering whether to go the less expensive route with the MCON adapter for my 14-150 or to spring for the Oly 60 macro. I already have the Oly 75 for portraits, so the 60 would be dedicated to macro for me.

2. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    So, Amin - after all of the responses what have you decided?

:biggrin:

Having just acquired the 14-150mm myself I'm also considering the MCON adapter; I don't do many macro shots so the 60mm - even though it's on sale right now for $399 - is probably overkill for me. I have the 12-50mm 'kit' lens but haven't ever warmed up to it - although admittedly I've not tried the macro mode.

I was hoping to profit on the mistakes of others after you posted the question, but it appears not.

So...do you want to go first and see how it works out?

:biggrin:

Regards,

Jim

• Like Like x 1
  3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Still undecided here, Love the 14-150 though!

4. nixapatfan

nixapatfan Mu-43 Regular

Feb 26, 2014
    I ordered one from KEH this weekend, it's only $19 + shipping so it's cheap enough to keep as a toy lens.

5. DL Photo

DL Photo Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 15, 2012
    Richmond, BC, Canada
    Dave
    I've heard that the Raynox macro adapters are pretty good. Will fit the 14-150 lens.

6. Edmunds

Edmunds Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2012
    The difference in magnification is small. Without, its 0.24x and with its only 0.40x, I don't think that really gets you that much closer if you want to do real macro.

That said, I love my 14-150 and I think it already focuses quite close

• Like Like x 2