How is the Manual Focusing, 45mm on the OM-D?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by fooddude, May 26, 2012.

1. fooddude

fooddude Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2012
    I am primarily an MF/adapted lens user, and only use MF lenses. But, since IBIS with MF/Adapted lenses does not work in video-mode (yet?), I think I will resort to the m.zuiko 45/1.8, until it is resolved/FW fixed (hopefully! C'mon Olympus! You're really gonna make a vintage looking camera, and not even allow it to be compatible with Real vintage MF lenses?! Wth?! lol!)

So I have a question....

When manual focusing the 45/1.8 on the OM-D body, how good is it compared to a real MF lens? Is it quick, and does the focus plane move nice and fast and smoothly while you focus the 45 ring? Or does it lag and jitter/stutter? While manual focusing, are the increments precise, smooth, cover a large range for precision focusing, reacts quick and is very responsive to the focus ring and close in feel to a real MF lens?

The only modern AF clutch lens I've tried manually focusing was on the X100, and it was quite disappointing honestly, as it was not smooth at all and jitters/stutters big time when turning the ring, lags and is slow in reaction while manually focusing.

I'd love to hear insight, opinions, etc on manual focusing the 45mm on an OM-D (if it's bad, i may just hold out, and wait for maybe a FW update)

2. apekkpul

apekkpul Mu-43 Rookie

May 2, 2012
    I feel that Olympus 45mm is usable for manual focusing; the focusing is pretty smooth. However, since the lens is quite small, you don't get such a good touch on lens as you would get with wider lenses.

I have played a little with OM-D's video mode and I think that with 12-50mm lens continuous auto-focus is ok. 45 requires manual focusing (I typically shoot with S-AF+M) and images are just beautiful.

3. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    IMHO nothing can replace the real touch of real MF lens, that's way despite the fast AF some lens maker still make MF lens for m4/3. The 45 MF is comparable to other m4/3 AF lens you got to try it for your self to decide...
  4. fooddude

fooddude Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2012
    I know...that's why I want to stick with my old MF lenses :) ..Only reason I am considering the 45mm (temporarily, until they hopefully fix this issue..) is because IBIS doesn't work in video mode for adapted/non-native lenses.

I don't want to resort to the 45mm m.zuiko...but if I have to, I will...cuz I am really digging all the video samples I've seen of the IBIS.

Olympus needs to really fix this asap.
  5. walter_j

walter_j Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Hagwilget, B.C., Canada
    I wish the lens had distance marks on it such as the olympus 12mm. It's difficult or impossible to focus lens in low light as there is no distance marks. I tried to take night shots of stars but gave up as there is no distance marks on the lens. The 12mm also had manual override and distance marks, which i really miss on the 45mm.
  6. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    I've MF'd my 45 quite a bit on my only issue is that the magnified view (that kicks in automatically when you start MF' it!) disappears too quickly...basically you achieve focus, but if you want to linger for a second or two to make sure it's good, it's too kicks back to the normal view...but that's not the lens's fault (just saying this, as it's part of the overall experience).

I actually like MF'ing my 45 more than my 75...the 75 seems to take forever to rack from end to end manually...the 45 is much quicker...
  7. Dramaturg

Dramaturg Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2013
    IBIS works with adapted legacy glass since firmware 1,5 update. I use Jupiter 8 50mm 2.0 for my video work and the results are just amazing (can't see any difference with 45mm in the image quality while focusing is smooth and predictable).