How is the Lumix 14-140mm and E-PL1 combo for video?

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by panda9, May 5, 2010.

1. panda9

panda9 New to Mu-43

May 5, 2010
    Bay Area, California
    I am a fairly new E-PL1 owner. I bought the E-PL1 primarily for its small size to supplement my Olympus dSLR gear, but I also wanted to be able to take occasional impromptu videos without lugging my big Sony Handicam around.

I have been doing research on the Lumix 14-140mm superzoom lens and it seems to be a pretty nice lens for video, but almost all of the reviews I've found test it on the GH1. I'd like to know about its suitability for video on the E-PL1.

I know the Olympus 14-150mm is due in about a month, but my understanding is that the Lumix OIS will work in video while the Olympus IBIS will not. Since both lenses can zoom in pretty close, I'm thinking that the OIS will be a definite advantage in video.

Has anyone used the Lumix 14-140mm with the E-PL1 for video and can share their experiences?

-- Calvin
  2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to, panda9 AKA Calvin - very glad you found your way here!

I'm going to move this thread into the Video Corner so that others may comment there. I haven't checked to see if anyone else has discussed this lens yet regarding video.

P.S. Stop by the Welcome and Introductions thread when you have a chance. In the meantime, I look forward to your involvement on the forums.:flowers_2:
  3. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Should work well but I would be inclined to wait for the Olympus 14-150mm zoom which is only about a month away.

You do find the Panasonic 14-140mm second-hand on eBay at quite appealing prices but it would be interesting to see how the Olympus lens compares before committing.