1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

How is Olympus 9-18mm performance on GH2?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Crdome, May 20, 2012.

1. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    How I'd love to get the Panasonic 7-14 but it's too pricey. Anyone using the 9-18 on a GH2 or similar Panasonic? How fast and well do the automatic function perform?

Thanks for the info.

2. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    I just bought a used GH2 and a new 9-18 this past week. I'll put them together tomorrow and see how they behave. I'm expecting no problems!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    I used it on my GX1 and it performed perfectly well. No issues regarding AF speed or anything else. I say go for it...it's a great lens.

Canada-_pow_lines_II.

Canada-_superbowl_scenery_II.

Canada-_bridge.

• Like Like x 4
  4. StefanB

StefanB Mu-43 Regular

May 16, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Stefan
    I use the 9-18mm regularly with my G1. It's my favorite lens for landscape and architecture photography. There're no problems. I found a lens profile which automatically corrects barrel distortion in Lightroom based on focal length. I almost always use it with a tripod, so I can't speak to automatic functions.

Here're some sample shots I made with this excellent lens: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stefanb/tags/918mm/

• Like Like x 4
  5. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Stefan, your work is absolutely stunning! Thanks for sharing.

• Like Like x 1
  6. My 9-18mm has spent most of it's time mounted on a GH1. No Panny/Oly interface problems there, and I wouldn't expect the GH2 to have any problems either.

• Like Like x 1
  7. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    I shoot a lot with both the 7-14 and the 9-18 on Pany and Oly bodies. They are wonderful lenses... you will love either one.

• Like Like x 1
  8. quatchi

quatchi Mu-43 Veteran

May 17, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    Do you have a link at hand for the profile? Would be very nice. Thank you.

9. Crdome

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Please keep me posted.

10. Crdome

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Livinius, thanks for your response and wonderful pix showing it capabilities.

11. StefanB

StefanB Mu-43 Regular

May 16, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Stefan
    You can find it using the http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/lensprofile_creator.html Adobe lens profile downloader. You have to look for "Olympus Imaging" and not "Olympus" for some reason. Let me know if this doesn't work out for you and I will upload it to my Dropbox.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Rob917

Rob917 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2011
    jacksonville, florida usa
    Robert
    :
    Would you mind sharing the lens profile?
    Oh I see you did :2thumbs:
    Thank You

13. Crdome

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Stefan, thanks for the link for your powerful portfolio. It sure has begun my day with awe and inspiration. I had no idea of the lenses capabilities.

Is Lightroom a stand alone program, used in conjunction Photoshop CS? or a rebrand of photoshop Lite? Would it be possible to get the lens profile.

14. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    I didn't test the Olympus 9-18 with the GH2, but I suspect you may be disappointed with its border performance in 3:2 and especially 16:9 modes.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Crdome

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Thanks Don.

16. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    A trip to Adobe.com will answer all...

Short version:
    - Lightroom is a very capable content management system (builds a database of your images, allows you to tag them, etc.) and RAW converter (very powerful tools for lighting, color, saturation, hue, white balance, geometry, etc. corrections) with a reasonably complete set of retouching tools (spot healing/cloning, very basic masks, cropping, digital ND filter). It's greatest strength lies in the workflow it creates - you can easily copy and paste adjustments from one photograph to an entire series.

- Photoshop is an absurdly powerful pixel-level editor that lets you futz around with layers, but is in essence destructive, where lightroom is not. You make a change (unless you've created a new layer to do so), it's changed. You work on the image after processing it from RAW through ACR, for example.

They're complementary. Personally, I usually use DxO Optics Pro (similar-ish to Lightroom in terms of workflow, RAW conversion, etc) for most pictures, convert to JPG for web, or 16 bit TIFF if I'm going to print - then take the TIFF files into Photoshop to optimize them for printing (cloning out dust, sharpening for specific print size, etc. etc.) Only reason I bothered with Photoshop, to be honest, was that I could get it legally through work for almost nothing...

17. Crdome

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Mattia, Thank you for taking time to expound upon Lightshop. I note everyone mentioning it's usage. It sounds like an incredibly useful tool. The database and RAW converter would be huge for me now. I'm so overwhelmed with the enormous volume of photos I've shot (and their reworks) for work and pleasure I've been tempted to put them in to the FileMaker Pro database but I'm not sure how I'd structure it. I'll check out DxO too

18. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Then Lightroom sounds like an ideal solution for you - tag your photos by type, trip, category, color (does this automatically more or less), makes managing a collection far simpler. You can also rate them I believe.

DxO is a bit of a dog of a program (slow compared to Lightroom, even on a tricked out hexacore MacPro), and really only worth the price of admission if you body and lens profile combinations are fully supported. But the results make up for the slight slowness, mostly because I don't shoot THAT much. I just sit back and take my time to process. You can download a free trial of DxO and see if it's for you.

• Like Like x 1
  19. StefanB

StefanB Mu-43 Regular

May 16, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Stefan
    You can get the lens profile from here too: http://pindelski.org/Photography/download-lens-profiles/

20. quatchi

quatchi Mu-43 Veteran

May 17, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    Thank you for the links Stefan! Currently downloading AIR...

Do you use the profiles for all your lenses? The website of your second link states, the Adobe after-market profiles are not that good. Can you post your opinion on those profiles?

And one more question: Olympus bodies do not correct CA and the Lightroom profile would "fix" that while importing the images. Panasonic, however, corrects CA (from my understanding even for RAW files). What happens during the Lightroom import? Is CA "corrected" again? I do own a shiny new E-M5 and my old buddy a G1, therefore the question.