How is oly 12-40mm lens on EM5 with/without grip?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by rogergu, Nov 18, 2013.

1. rogergu

rogergu Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2013
    I am wondering if anyone has tried oly 12-40mm lens on EM5? How does it feel? I can not find any lens locally that I can have a try.

I guess I probably need to add the HLD-6 grip to EM5 to hold the combination firmly, but would the space between the grip and lens barrel be too narrow for fingers?

Thanks for your input!

2. bigal1000

bigal1000 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Perfect

3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Stuck one on my E -M5 last weekend for a few test shots. It feels very nicely balanced (my E-M5 has the HLD6), focuses fast and delivers great IQ. It's a bit bigger and heavier than my 12-35, but the build feels better since the focus ring is knurled metal and not rubber. IQ looks very similar to the 12-35 too. If I had a choice of them both, I'm not sure which I'd take - the 12-35 is smaller and lighter, but the 12-40 "feels" nicer. If I were pushed, I'd say the 12-35 on size grounds, but I wouldn't kick either out of bed for leaving toast crumbs!

4. rogergu

rogergu Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2013
    Thanks for both of your reply.

So you feel still enough room between the grip and lens barrel for fingers to grab the grip?

5. DWhite

DWhite Mu-43 Regular

Jun 23, 2013
    David
    The 12-40 with the grip feels great. But I do have slightly smaller than average fingers.

I've only shot with the HLD6 grip on. I just took it off my camera to check the feel of the lens on a "bare" E-M5. I gotta admit I didn't like the feel nearly as well -- it felt like I was about to drop the whole kit. But since I really like the HLD6 on all the time anyway, for me this is a non-issue.

If you can by chance to get a hold of a first-generation Panasonic 14-140, the dimensions are identical to the Oly 12-40. It would at least give you a chance to check out the feel. The Panasonic lens is slightly heavier than the Oly.