HOW I SHOT IT - Environmental Portrait of singer Sabrina

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by jambaj0e, Sep 5, 2012.

1. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010

Background and Vision
    This environmental portrait is part of an editorial assignment that I had for Sabrina Claudio, an up-and-coming young singer-songwriter from Florida. In an environmental portrait, the surrounding tells just as much of the visual story as the subject. The location we shot in provided a lot of great visual highlights and I wanted to make sure that I could include a lot of the great little details into the shot.

Sabrina sings with a lot of soul, so we tied in the vintage records as part of her musical influence.

The client also wanted the lighting to look natural, so the trick here is to add just enough ambient lighting to balance out the three Einstein monolight strobes that I used to light this image.

How It Was Shot
    Camera: Panasonic GH2
    Lens: Olympus 4/3 Zuiko 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 mkII Lens (28-108mm full-frame equivalent)
    Focal Length: 18mm (36mm full-frame equivalent)
    Shutter Speed: 1/160
    Aperture: f/8.0
    ISO: 200

To learn more on how I lit this scene with 3 strobes and almost no ambient, check out my lighting guide article. -- Joe

How We Shot it - Environmental Portrait with Singer-Songwriter Sabrina tutorial

Stay tuned to my retouching article on my post-processing workflow.
    • Like Like x 10
  2. bluzcity

bluzcity Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2012
    Memphis, TN
    It is very well done, welcoming and inviting.
  3. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    very nice image!
  4. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Very useful and informative post- great image and PP. Nicely done.
  5. PSimmons

PSimmons Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 24, 2010
    Central Florida
    masterfully done
  6. CUB

CUB Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 19, 2012
    Simply outstanding! Thanks for sharing.
  7. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010
    Thanks guys! I was very happy how I got the whole lighting dialed in very well with this shot. I also used a combination of the BRNO BaLens white balance cap and the Passport Color Checker as a good base to get my white balance dialed in. All in all, the entire editorial shoot was a success. Look for more images soon!

PS. You can see more of my mu4/3 fashion and commercial work at Fotosiamo Fotografie by Joe Gunawan

Joe Gunawan |