1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

How happy are you with your current equipment?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Amin Sabet, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    On a scale of 1-10 (10 = happy as can be), how happy are you with your current camera and lenses?

• Like Like x 1
  2. walt_tbay

walt_tbay Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    I'd say I'm a 9 :thumbup: I got all the gear I need/want, but there's always that new and improved model that'll come along.

• Like Like x 1
  3. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I just went through a massive change in equipment... starting out with equipment to support my desires to enter into photography as a career or business slowly going through life changes that refocused my photography to pure recreational fun. It was actually liberating to say that the camera system has to fit ME rather than forcing myself to fit the system that was more appropriate for the job.

I'd say I am at a cool 9.5... no 10? Well ive gotta leave room For the occasional bout with GAS. Ive also got a few lenses that need a CLA (haze)

4. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Good question Amin.
    I would have to say 8.5-9.
    I still have an old war torn Canon G9 and I would still rate that as a 12 or better.
    It's the only camera I ever owned this century that has never let me down.

5. Zeamays

Zeamays Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 6, 2011
    Northern Illinois
    8. The G2 is the most camera I've ever had, and I know I'm only scratching the surface of what I can do with it. That said, I don't particularly like the low light performance for indoor shots...I know that will be helped a bit when I get a faster lens (Panny 20mm sometime this year, hopefully).

6. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England

I'd rate my current level at a good solid 9.0

I'm more content with the photo equipment, computers and software that I use than I've ever been in the past.

Selling off the last of my my DSLR gear was a liberating experience!
    Alan

7. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Cumulatively I'd say 10, but it takes me 4 cameras to get there. No individual camera is higher than about an 8. I'm still looking for the one camera that combines the best features of each and I could be happy with one camera. This would be an m43 camera in a pen/gf/rangefinder form-factor, with the sensor and performance of the gh2, the incredible flip-UP screen of the Nex, and preferably the silent shutter and zone focus/hyperfocal tools of the LX-5. A detachable viewfinder is OK if the rear screen is good enough, as the Nex screen is. This may never happen but I bet something comes close in the next couple of years. I'm going back and forth on whether i even want to try the X-100 - I know its gonna be a fine camera but the OVF is 90% of the reason I'd want one and I have serious doubts about wanting to stick a camera up against my face again for anything other than long lens shots no matter HOW good the OVF/EVF. At the moment the doubts are winning but there's a part of me that's really curious about it all the same.

-Ray

8. sparkin

sparkin Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    That's an interesting question but, it has to be gauged relative to prior experience. I'd say 8 out of ten. I find some of the developments of the "digital revolution" to be annoying. For example, I like to set aperture by adjusting a physical device. I like autofocus, but m43 is a tad sluggish for me - EOS was good for that, but I got fed up with the heft.

For what it is worth:

In the 80s-90s I used OM, it was a 9 to begin with, but a 6 by about 1992.
    In the 2000's, EOS was a 8-9 in 2005 but a 6 by 2011: too much heft, and too many people asking for photographic advice (ugh - not my style).
    m43 works on many levels for me, but the ep2 could be improved with an articulating screen, built in evf (even a crappy one), and some faster lenses. A power cord input would help too, as then I could leave one attached to my microscopes at work.

9. mqavila

mqavila Mu-43 Regular

I guess my answer would be at a 9.

I'm very new to the Micro 4/3 world, having come from "bridge" cameras or superzooms (my last cameras being the Lumix FZ35 and FZ40).

I do have what I feel to be the best M43 camera (being a GH2) but I only have the 14-45mm kit lens and 20mm pancake so far. I'm still hoping to save up for either a 14-140mm or 45-200mm. :)

10. sparkin

sparkin Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    You've probably figured by now Ray, that they're all in collusion to not give you quite what you want. All manufacturers know what is needed, but they won't give it all until several iterations in - or at least until they know they've gotcha.

11. apicius9

apicius9 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I am at 8. I never had a DSLR, came form a bridge Panny P&S like mqavila, so my expectations are more than fulfilled with the GH2. I know it can get much better, but for me as a hobbyist this covers 98% of all my needs. I am using an LX3 as a backup. Like so many others, something in the size of the GF1 (or even GF2?) with a built-in EVF and the still photo performance of the GH2 would get me to 9 1/2, at least. The rest is that I actually have too many lenses. I went overboard, spent too much and can't decide what to let go - and can't really afford to keep them all. Once that is resolved, I should feel much better also...

Stefan

12. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    Overal, I would say 10. I haven't been as happy with a camera since my Nikon FM2. I have a GF1 with 14, 20, and 45 and a G1 with 14-45 and 45-200. I love the lenses, will keep the GF1 as I feel it is a classic, and though I use the G1 the most, I could see upgrading it if I became convinced a newer similar form G series camera would be even better. But I am sold on m4/3 and have unloaded most of my Nikon gear.

13. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I'll go with 8. When the light is great, so are the images. I also am willing to accept the trade-offs of size and performance. There exists (unmade, as of yet) a camera which would score a 10 on my scale. I wish someone would build it. In the meantime, I'm quite happy.

14. HappyEisentrout

HappyEisentrout Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2011
    Sandusky, OH
    I'm gonna go with a 7, but that's my fault. I've got my E-PL1 and I absolutely love it. I have a few Minolta Legacy lenses as well, which i also use on my Minolta SRT 101. The only thing that I feel is missing is that I don't have a bag that I'm happy with and I really could use the Panny 20mm. That leaves my equipment at an 8 but since there is nothing to really shoot in Northern Ohio in the winter, I am marking it down a tad. My passion is amusement parks and roller coasters and that's where I get most of my shots. Good thing we're getting close to open season.

15. I think I am in a similar situation to Ray where I have a number of cameras that collectively boast every conceivable 'want' that I might have, but no one camera can do it all nor could do it all. Yesterday I used my Canon 50D for the first time in a while but in no time at all I was at one with the control interface. The grip and button layout are the perfect size for my hands and everything makes sense to me. If they took all of the 50D and shrunk it down into a Pen-style camera the ergonomics would be gone. I don't think I'll ever have one perfect camera. So as a whole, I have to give my equipment a 9 or 10, but individually just a little bit less.

16. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    canon eos kit 9.5
    epl-1 kit 9 currently, once I get my 14-150 which is on it's way and the metz 44 I sure it will be at 9.5 also.

17. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I love what Eric (oris642) wrote after watching the 'Validation' video. This is what he said

Also shows that the best piece of "equipment" needed to take pictures of people is not a "better" camera - it's better people skills.

If you watch the video you'll see that he is spot on. I hope I'm ok to use your quote Eric.

18. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Hmm. Interesting question. Part of me says 9/10 but part of me says 2-4/10.

I'm happy with my m4/3 stuff, but I'm also looking for more, so that says I'm missing something. But I'm more satisfied with my growing m4/3 kit than I am with my kick ass Canon Pro gear. M4/3 are more fun by far.

Gordon

19. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Stefan, I just went through that process, and I feel much better now with about half as many lenses :smile:.

20. Camerafrog

Camerafrog Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2010
    Canon gear (5D): 9
    Love everything about it except its weight.

ยต4/3 gear (E-PL2): 7.5
    +Great image quality in good light, fun to use, small and light.
    -Compared to 5D: Lack of DoF control with wider lenses, more noise, need a ND filter to use larger apertures than f/4 in sunlight. If I hadn't used a FF camera I'd probably give E-PL2 8.5.