1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

How good (or bad) is the OM-D's EVF?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by okinana, Apr 5, 2012.

1. okinana

okinana Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Is it just the same as the VF-2? Or are there any improvements? Aside from it being built-in.

I was not really a fan of the VF-2 when I had it. I ended up using the OLED screen of my E-P3 more often. I only used it then when I was using my legacy lenses.

I posted this question because I was just too lazy to search for threads here in the forum or reviews in the web.

Thanks for all the inputs.

2. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England

I had about half an hour with the E-M5 at an Olympus event a few days ago and these are my impressions:

While the E-M5's EVF seems to have the same number of pixels as the VF2, and also the Panasonic G3's EVF, it appears to perform significantly better than both. In static situations they are all comparable, but the E-M5 responds much more quickly to moving subjects or when panning. It just stays ultra-clear all the time.

I compared it with the EVF of a Sony NEX-7 in the same store and found they were very similar in performance. That is despite the fact that the NEX-7 EVF has 2.4 million pixels against the 1.4 million of the E-M5, VF-2 and G3.

What was also noticeable, and not unconnected with the EVF performance, was the AF speed. Subjectively, it felt about twice as fast as my G3.

• Like Like x 2
  3. okinana

okinana Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    I was worried for a moment that I might end up not liking the images (color, sharpness, etc) seen through the built-in EVF and not use it. Sort of not liking it and not using it but won't be able to sell it because it's built-in. I was thinking of just canceling my preorder and wait for the next one with better EVF.

4. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    E-M5 viewfinder should be an improvement over the VF-2. It's a completely different design and is reported to be much improved for panning and tracking subject movement.

See this post and the links within it for more info....

5. okinana

okinana Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Bob, does this mean that the built-in EVF is totally different from the VF-2? Just the same resolution? Correct me if I am wrong.

6. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    In addition to the higher refresh rate, I'm looking forward to IBIS with this EVF as well...the combination should be great!

7. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    Yes... a totally different animal. The technology is completely different and allegedly it's a huge improvement. Can't wait to play with one (and the new sensor, too)!

• Like Like x 1
  8. okinana

okinana Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
  9. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    What do you base this on? I've srrn Olympus state that the omd evf is just a tweaked vf-2, so why do you say its completely different?

10. okinana

okinana Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
  11. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    If you do some googling you will find that epson is the suspected maker of the vf-2 panel as well. I'll see if I can find the statement, it was either in a preview or maybe a youtube interview but basically they called it a reworked vf-2. Sounds like the same panel but better optics in front of it and faster refresh rate.

12. okinana

okinana Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Look at what I found!

The Olympus OM-D E-M5: Exploring the Electronic View Finder by Olympus AU
    [ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RY7f4F-L2g]The Olympus OM-D E-M5: Exploring the Electronic View Finder (EVF) - YouTube[/ame]

13. RussellOlaguer

RussellOlaguer Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2012
    Paranaque, Philippines
    Russell Olaguer
    I don't have any M43 EVF to compare.
    But compared to the EVF of my X100, the EVF on my E-M5 is much better.
    The higher refresh rate causes almost no lag in my experience (almost like OVF)
    In low light, no banding can be seen in the E-M5's EVF (unlike my X100's EVF that sometimes shows banding in low light)

The IBIS with E-M5's EVF is really impressive.

The only thing that seems not good for me is that sometimes in a very bright harsh sunny situation, looking through the EVF, the images seems to be washed out.
    What I do is to cover the EVF with my left hand with my eye on the EVF so that the EVF's view becomes okay.

I think getting this eye cup (EP-11) will help with this situation.

• Like Like x 2
  14. okinana

okinana Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Thanks for sharing your real world experience. I can say the same for the VF-2. It did look washed out at times. How about in other lighting situations?

15. RussellOlaguer

RussellOlaguer Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2012
    Paranaque, Philippines
    Russell Olaguer
    Aside from those harsh bright sunny situations, I think every situation is okay.
    I have no problem at night and in low light situation.

What I want to know is the "fogging" issue in the EVF that Robin Wong mentioned in his reviews.
    I don't want to intentionally shoot in the rain just to test this. Hahaha! :D

16. wetterberg

wetterberg Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 31, 2012
    I think Robin's pre-production unit wasn't properly weather-sealed and I do believe the production ones are.

17. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    I don't wish to appear pessimistic, and am looking forward to getting my own E-M5, but you can't really not seal a body like this properly because it's pre-production. Do you decide to leave a seal or two out, and send it off to reviewers who will be read by millions of potential purchasers? The sealing aspect will be done and tested long before anyone gets their hands on it....

18. bgalb

bgalb New to Mu-43

Oct 26, 2011
    It's Condensation, Watson!

Robin's venue is a very humid area and I would expect the relative humidity inside the camera to stabilize at the average humidity of where the camera is stored and used. Ergo, cool temperature outside during rain invites fogging inside the viewfinder lens. Breathe on your eyeglasses and watch them fog.

• Like Like x 1