1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

How good is the OMD compared to EPM-1?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by colbycheese, May 3, 2012.

1. colbycheese

colbycheese Mu-43 Veteran

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    I love how the EM5 looks. I had bought my epm1 a few months ago and had no idea it was coming out. Is it really that much better in terms of photo quality? I really hope it goes down in price. I like vintage looking cameras. It looks better to hold but i am not sure. Why is it so expensive for the body. Also, how much heavier is it. weight is an issue for me

2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    The differences between these two cameras are pretty stark. The Mini is obviously smaller and lighter, but that's pretty much the end of it's advantages.

The major differences spec-wise between these two:
    • E-M5 has a 16MP sensor (v. 12MP for the Mini)
    • E-M5 has 5-axis image stabilization (a major advance)
    • E-M5 is weather sealed
    • E-M5 has an integrated EVF and a higher-resolution, tilting display
    • E-M5's display is a touchscreen
    • E-M5 has a less shutter lag
    • E-M5 has a higher ISO limit (25600 v. 12800)
    • E-M5 has a higher burst rate (9 fps v. 5.5 fps)
    • E-M5 has more Art Filters

These differences (along with the fact that it's just been released and demand is through the roof) explain why the E-M5 retails for more than twice as much as the Mini. That's not to say the Mini is a bad camera...far from it, just that it's not really a direct competitor to the E-M5.

You can find a comparison of all the available :43: cameras in this post.

• Like Like x 1
  3. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    The specs that DeeJayK lists are not the real benefit, to my mind.The Key advantage of the OMD is dramatically better noise performance, especially at high ISO, and significantly better DR.

I personally think the hype over the OMD is way over the top. Compared to cameras like the GH2 and G3, it's marginally superior (in terms of IQ) at most. But compared to the Pens, it's a jump of at least 2 generations in sensor performance.

I, personally, wouldn't buy one now, but if prices come down some once the initial demand and hype is over, I'd certainly consider one.

• Like Like x 2
  4. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    In the UK you can get 3 E-PM1s with the 14-42 kits lens for the price of 1 OMD body.

5. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Yeah, I knew I was underestimating the $$ difference a bit. This just underscores the fact that these two bodies are not really competitors.

6. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Comparing the E-PM1 and the OMD is really an apples and oranges kind of thing. The E-PM1 is small and really meant as a step up for folks moving from point and shoot cameras. It's a great camera but not in the same league as the OMD. I also agree that the euphoria about the OMD is a bit much at the moment. I'm surprised that no one has claimed it cures cancer yet. It's a terrific camera and anchors down the high end for Olympus. It competes with the Panasonic GH2 (and GH3 when that finally arrives). The OMD has some wonderful and innovative features but like all new releases it also carries a premium price. Let's not forget that the E-P1 carried a $1,000 price tag when it was released as well.

7. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    Indeed. And apologies - didn't mean to seem like I was correcting you you :) I should have put an exclamation mark at the end of my statement!

8. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    No offense taken.

9. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I doubt if it came out that the E-M5 causes cancer that it would do much to damp down the enthusiasm at this point. :tongue:

10. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    It's capable of producing images of a much higher quality. A lower level of noise at LOW ISOs (people often focus heavily on high ISO performance, but that's not what you shoot at most of the time) means the images will look a lot cleaner. Also, the higher dynamic range enables the EM-5 to get more detail from shadows, and more attractive highlight handling. Essentially it's the first m43 camera that has caught up with the APS-C competition in terms of image quality.

...having said all that, now Olympus have proven it's technically possible, I'm waiting for the technology to filter down to cheaper models. In terms of its featureset, it would be a worthwhile upgrade from any m43 model. If you have the money spare, which I don't.

11. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    +1 The E-M5 and E-PM1 are really different cameras. I like the E-M5 size overall, but there are times when I would prefer to have something smaller. I think the E-PM1 is a great, compact body option for m4/3.

12. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
  13. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
  14. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010

Folks would claim that it cause cancer BETTER than the older models. :eek:

It is pretty funny though. I can appreciate that folks are very excited about the OMD. It IS very impressive. I don't find it a particularly compelling camera myself but that is because the money I would need to spend to get one is not worth what I think are pretty small jumps in functionality and quality for my purposes. I'd love to have one but its simply not worth the premium for me. Perhaps when prices settle and there are some good used one on the market I'll change my mind.

15. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Yeah, I'm sure it only causes the GOOD cancer. :tongue:

My sentiments precisely. While I'd love to have one, I'll probably stay right where I am: at least 2 steps behind the state of the art. I'll get a E-M5 when people start selling theirs to finance the new E-M7 with night-vision technology.

16. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    I don't know. I don't regret getting the OM-D; it's going to be longer than I would want to wait for it to come down in price. I don't like the styling or direct access options on Panasonic cameras. Nothing against the cameras; Olympus just still fits my shooting style better after more than 30 years.

If Olympus did ditch Panasonic for its new E-M5 sensor, as is said in places, it's probably because Panasonic would not sell them their newest sensors, leaving Olympus lagging a generation behind. I hope they've solved that once and for all, whoever the sensor is from, because the OM-D really is worth the hype to my thinking. I've been shooting it a week now and there is not a digital camera I have ever enjoyed working with so much. ALL the options I want are there at the push of a button.

It's not really comparable to the EPM1, as others have said. That's a neat camera, and was my backup in Asia, but the fiddly little dials and buttons for manual exposure finally wore me down and I gave it to a friend.

17. ill_dawg

ill_dawg Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2010
    The OM-D looks like a really nice camera, that's why I ordered one. But OP's post just reeks of GAS. It sounds like the OP wants to be convinced that it's worth upgrading, but I'm not sure that it is yet.

I'm upgrading because I've been using my e-pl1 for about 2 years now, and I feel like I've outgrown its interface, as well as its limitations (shutter speed, remote release, focus speed, etc.) It still takes great pictures, but there are some situations where I can't get quite the shot that I want, or I find myself fighting with the camera instead of working with it to get the shot.

To the OP, how are you getting on with your e-pm1? You've only had it for a couple months, and you must have had reasons for choosing it over the competition, what has changed? If there are problems with the interface, or you find yourself using the add-on vf a lot, then it might be worth the upgrade.

The difference in IQ will not be night and day, though. It will not do too many things that the e-pm1 can't. It is probably worth getting to know your e-pm1 or a while longer until prices go down, especially if weight is a factor. There will be a new e-pm soon, and it will do more than the e-pm1. There will also be a new pen, and a new om.

What features are you looking for, specifically? I've been holding out for weather sealing, inbuilt VF, and control dials. What are your key features? It sounds like you're on the fence and I'd suggest staying there for at least a little while longer, especially if the looks of the om-d are the biggest draw.

I don't mean to sound down on your upgrade. Personally, I've hovered on the buy button over every new mft camera since I bought my e-pl1. If you really want it and you can spare the cash, then go for it. By all accounts it is a great camera and it will help you take great pictures for years to come. Whenever I've had the itch to upgrade, though, I've always come across those posts reminding me to shoot with the gear I have. This is my first time being that post.

HTH

• Like Like x 1
  18. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Very well considered and written, HTH.

19. 250swb

250swb Mu-43 Regular

You only have to go over to DPR and compare the test shots between the E-M5 and other larger sensor cameras (try the new image samples from the Pentax K-01 to start with, then mix-n-match with others) to be convinced that the E-M5 is a significant step ahead, and is ahead of some APS-C sensors all things considered.

Steve

20. capodave

capodave Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 4, 2010
    Southern Cal
    Dave
    I like my E PM1 and shoot with it about 50% of the time, mostly for the convenience.
    I traded my E P1 for the E P3, and that was a significant upgrade.
    I like the form factor of the Pens, and will probably take a look at the new Pens if there are significant (to me) upgrades.
    For now, I'm a happy camper with what I have, and spend money on glass when it's available.