1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

How good is the Oly IBIS? (should I move to oly fro pana)

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by nirok, Nov 1, 2015.

1. nirok

nirok Mu-43 Regular

Apr 7, 2014
    Hey guys, a little help here...

I am a Panasonic g6 owner and I love this camera, I am using panasonic because of the video and the great interface, I want to upgrade my camera and the G7 looked liked the perfect choise but... in the recent couple days I have and itch to check to olympus IBIS and I thought about the olympus omd em10 mark 2.

I shoot maybe 80 precent stills in street photography style (fast moving), but video is also very important to me because I do some filmaking (I have a youtube show) but I rarely have time to do it. (if I will go with oly I will leave the g6 for video)

So, is the IBIS worth leaving panasonic and the 4k? btw I used to have the Epm2 but I hated the interface of the camera...

Would love to have some advice,

many thanks

2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    When I had a GX7 for a while, I found I missed the Oly IBIS a lot. I also prefer the usabability of Oly cameras. I know many will think I mad for saying this, but I never gelled with the GX7's UI.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    IBIS is fantastic, especially the 5 axis Oly IBIS, easily the best IBIS in the photo industry. In practical terms, unless I'm doing HDR panoramas (where precise alignment is key) I never bring a tripod, as the IBIS in my EM1/EM5II allows me to shoot down to 1 second or so shutter speeds (with 7-14/4, I can't go quite that slow with longer lenses, but it's usually 4-5 stops).

Now, if you do mostly street shooting, and you intend to freeze motion, IBIS will not be of much use, as you'll probably be shooting at 1/250th or even faster, which is typically above the safe range for negating blur from shake, unless you're shooting with really long lenses. IBIS will however, enable you to shoot at slower speeds than you otherwise could with your Panasonic (assuming your lens doesn't have OIS), for when you don't care about blurring the subject, or even want to slightly blur your subject for creative effect (to show motion).

It would be a good idea to go through your library and see what shutter speeds you typically use for street shooting, and if you're trying to shoot at say, 1/6th, 1/12th, or 1/25th at 50mm equiv, that's where IBIS will help, at 1/50, 1/100 and 1/200th, IBIS will get progressively less useful.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Tapper

Tapper Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2013
    I cannot overstate how remarkable the Olympus IBIS is. Especially the EM5 II. I no longer have the super steady hands of my younger days, but can shoot easily at 1/8 second or less at just about any focal length and get consistently sharp photos. I truly love it, and it's one of the reasons I chose this system even over the powerhouse of Sony's A7 system.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    The Olympus IBIS is fantastic. If Olympus ups their video game I won't consider a Panasonic body in the future.

6. GnedTheGnome

GnedTheGnome Mu-43 Regular

If you're looking at Oly for the IBIS, you might want to look at the em5 (i or ii, depending on budget) or the em1. The em10 only has 3-axis IBIS, vs 5-axis in the others, which may not be enough better than the gx7's to be worth dealing with the Oly UI, which you said you didn't like.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    The E-M10 II has 5-axis IBIS. The 3-axis in our mk I is pretty darn good as well.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. nirok

nirok Mu-43 Regular

Apr 7, 2014
    Thanks for all the answers, my other concern is the grip... all of the omd line (except the em1) seems to have bad grip/ just from sight, never hold one/ any experience with the em10 mark 2 grip?

9. GnedTheGnome

GnedTheGnome Mu-43 Regular

Oops!
    I overlooked the "mark 2" in the original post. Nevermind, carry on! :whistling:

10. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    You can always buy third party custom grips. I bought one and couldn't be happier - it really makes a difference in ergonomics. And it only cost something between 20 and 40$ if I remember correctly.

PS. Obviously you can buy an Olympus one too but they're way more expensive.

11. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The newer E-M10 and E-M5s aren't too bad for grip for most lenses. An aftermarket L-plate grip works pretty well too.

As far as IBIS goes - the true test of awesomeness is that I can manage a wide angle shot at twilight at ISO200 and at midnight in the city at ISO400-800 handheld.

12. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    I have both EM1 and GH4. IBIS on the EM1 is probably 80% of why I use the EM1 more than the GH4.

13. Sniksekk

Sniksekk Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Tapper

Tapper Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2013
    With small lenses, no problem. Even with the 12-40 Pro, it's OK and you get used to it.

And as others said, there are a variety of add-on grips if you want one. I have one that cost me about $40, and I use it sometimes when shooting with my 40-150 Pro.

The way I see it, the EM5II has the advantage of being very small when you want it, or adding a grip when you need it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    I currently own both EM5s and the EM1. The EM5II's grip is a bit better than the original EM5, but honestly, if you're considering this camera and the grip is a concern, I would just get the EM1, it's about the same price and the ergonomics are a lot better in my experience. The official olympus grips make the EM5(both of them) bigger and heavier than the EM1, and the third party grips aren't nearly as comfortable as the shutter button is on the top of the camera rather than up front. It's also worth noting that the EM1's grip doesn't extent beyond any of the AF lenses in this system, which means if you store or carry the body with a lens attached, the lens is what determines the depth, not the body, even with the pancakes like 20/1.7 and 14/2.5, so in practical use, the EM5s are only noticeably smaller on paper.

To me, if you're using the smaller primes in the 12-45mm range, these feel just fine on either EM5 w/o grip (and I assume the EM10s as well). When you get to the larger lenses, let's say 7-14/4, 12-40/2.8, 42.5/12.5, 75/1.8, 35-100/2.8 and bigger, the EM1 feels a lot better shooting all day. Basically anything over 300g or so will feel better on the EM1.

Not sure how either of the EM10s are with their respective grips, as I have not owned them.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. nirok

nirok Mu-43 Regular

Apr 7, 2014
    Thank you for the answers guys, I think I will go for the em10 mark 2 :th_salute:

17. Dragonfly

Dragonfly New to Mu-43

Jan 5, 2015
    I'm currently using Panasonic lenses on a GH3 and looking for a second body. Would my current lenses work with IBIS if I turned off the Panasonic OIS? I'm quite attracted to the EM5 2.

18. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Yes.

19. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    If your choice of camera body is as simple as IBIS vs 4K, you have very simple needs indeed.

I would never change camera body and brand on such a one-dimensional consideration.

So, my answer to your question is definitely not.

IS is a greatly overrated factor. Remember how many body/lens setups have no IS at all and take great photos. Remember, also, that all IS does is change percentages when you are pushing the limits, and all 'better IS' does is change the percentages even less. It won't stop you getting blurred images, but only the percentages blurred will change.

Speaking as a GX7 user who moved to M5II. The Oly is awesome and I don't regret it. But I've actually come to appreciate the Panny more than ever. It is not just features that you trade off, like on a shopping list, that is too simplistic. Each camera is a sum personal experience, you get a feel and a sense of it, and your personal reaction to the sum experience is far too complex for any advice-giver to take into account. Yet it is that personal reaction that defines its ability to give you pleasure in your hobby. Even things like its fit in your hands (which come in so many shapes and sizes) can be far more important than any spec sheet will ever indicate.

You have a fast street shooting style? From the models I know, I would actually prefer the Panny for that. Faster startup, faster AF, total silent mode... not to mention your G7 having 4K Photo (with a 12-35 f/2.8 OIS would be hard to beat). So, think hard my friend. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    I strongly disagree. I've been using E-M5 for 3-4 years now and I HATE using my GM1 in certain situations and that is entirely because of lack of IBIS. IS makes photos look 10x better when there's not enough light and you're shooting somewhat static objects. But obviously it depends on what you're shooting and with what equipment.

• Agree Agree x 1