1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

How good is Olympus' Lens Advisor site?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by mootxico, Dec 22, 2014.

1. mootxico

mootxico Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 6, 2014
  2. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    No one site ever is, but this is an official Olympus website so there is going to be bias. Not that it is a bad thing.

I'd list out all the criteria you need in this new lens, find the ones you think will fit your needs and then research it on various sites to see if the requirements are met.

3. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    It seems fun to play with, but you could also post here for recommendations.

--Ken

4. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Just tried it to see what it would recommend for me based on my image selection. I picked images I liked and it recommended the 75-300mm zoom which I do own, but which is also probably my least used lens.

The problem with picking from an image selection like they provide is that you are likely to end up choosing images you like but which don't necessarily correlate all that well with the kind of images you shoot yourself, or want to shoot. If there's a good match between the images you choose and what you shoot, it probably works fine. If there's a bad match then the recommendation is not going to be relevant to what you want.

So, if you're going to try using it, don't make your image choice based on whether or not you like the images. Make it based on how the images match the kind of things you shoot and what you want to use the lens for. You'll probably get a more reliable recommendation that way, but you may also get a recommendation for the lens you're currently using for that kind of stuff anyway and that may be a good indication that you really don't need another lens.

And we all know that you always need another lens :)

5. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    It told me I need the 12-50. Nope, I really don't.

6. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    Untitled.
    all I can think about is, Olympus really needs more quality lens to make the site work better. I chose some nice shots done with wide angle, low light, and telephoto, and that site said I don't want any compromise, hence recommended their 40-150 f/4.0-5.6

edit: my mistake, it was the 14-150, still not what I need.

7. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Mine came back pretty much on the money - the 45mm (I have one and love it), the 25mm (don't have one but the 20mm is my absolute "go to" lens, close to the 25mm), and the 75mm (which I don't have because I have foolishly spent the money on groceries and mortgage payments).

Obviously I need to order the 75mm ASAP...

:biggrin:

Regards, Jim

8. wclavey

wclavey Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Westley
    An interesting tool... I just used it and picked images that look the most like what I shoot. It recommended 1 lens (75mm f/1.8) which is not a lens I would ever consider getting...

I shoot mostly with my 4/3 14-54 (with MFT adapter), the MFT 12mm f/2, and the MFT 40-150mm, although for real telephoto suff I use the 4/3 50-200mm (with adapter). But maybe I should give the 75mm a look... perhaps rent one on an upcoming trip. I think I will also look at several of my recent trips and see what effective focal lengths I actually used.

Thanks for sharing this tool.

9. fotomatix

fotomatix Mu-43 Regular

Mar 13, 2011
    Canada
    everyone needs a good prime or 2 in their bag, problem with OLY is that there are so many darn good ones!!!!!

I used to have a 45mm 1.8, thought it was great. Still is. I ended up selling my OLY system (EM10) to test the waters of Sony. I came back. Now have an EM1. Got it at a fantastic price with the pro 12-40 f2.8. That is one impressive lens as well. I noticed Olympus reps were going to my local photo specialty shop so I knew deals would be had. Today in fact I treated myself some more and got the 75mm for $700, which IMO is a great deal. This lens is fantabulous. What incredible detail and power from a small lens with superb build quality. For street photography and portraits, I think it's a must. Cheers.