How good is Live ND feature in E-M1 iii ?

Hello,

For E-M1 iii I am looking for a wide-angle lens for Astrophotography and Landscapes (including sea, river, sky, lightning, etc.).

I know that Olympus 7-14mm f/2.8 will be a little better than Panasonic 8-18mm f/2.8-4, because of little more wide and constant aperture. But Oly will not take filters. If I choose to go with that, is Live ND filter enough good that I won't miss real filters?
Even if it is a minor difference, I won't bother. But if the statement is "Live ND feature is just bad and just a marketing tactic, then I think Panasonic should be my preference, along with the external filter.

What do you say?

Thanks

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
Try it out with a different lens first.

If you don't yet own an EM1 mk3, borrow one/rent one/test and wow one. A Mk3+7-14 lens is a lot of money if it won't live up to expectations.

There are adapters for the Olympus 7-14 such as the one made by Nisi.

It's not cheap, nor are 150mm filters, but as a landscape photographer you may need a polariser too (which will help mitigate the cost of the adapter), and as an MFT astrophotographer, the extra speed at 14mm will come in useful.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
Except for the extra 1mm on the wide end, in what way do you think the Oly 7-14 is better than the 8-18? Optically, it's a wash and the constant aperture is really not an issue for most stills photography. The ability to take filters OTOH is massive - not just a 3 stop ND (best you'll get with the Live ND filter simulation), but 10 stop NDs which are essential for true long exposures in daylight.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I understood that there would not be much difference between f/2.8 of 7-14mm vs 8-18mm, but it will affect when I go on tele end of these both lenses. Olympus will stay at 2.8 while Panasonic will be at 4.

How about astrophotography? I see different opinions. A lot of posters and YouTuber reviews praise a lot about the Starry AF feature of Olympus. On another side, many say that it will be far behind the big sensor of full-frame, even if it would be on F/4 vs f/2.8 on m43. Though this is not a decision-maker factor for me, because I will do astro occasionally, but want to understand how close or far I would be if I compare.

PhotoCal

Mu-43 Regular
i saw a recent video where they compared using ND filters vs merging in post. I was not impressed with the PP version at all. But I've seen fine examples of Live ND, which is a similar concept.

I was very interested in Live ND until I saw that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
i saw a recent video where they compared using ND filters vs merging in post. I was not impressed with the PP version at all. But I've seen fine examples of Live ND, which is a similar concept.

Did you try or have some opinion on Astrophotography too, as I asked in my previous post?

i saw a recent video where they compared using ND filters vs. merging in post. I was not impressed with the PP version at all. But I've seen fine examples of Live ND, which is a similar concept.

Can you point me to the video? Which part bothered you? The output should be pretty close to what you get with ND filters, though fast-moving subjects with fast shutter speeds can cause issues as there is a slight pause between the shots.
Another advantage of Live ND is that it acts as an ND filter and reduces noise.

Last edited:

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
There are "STC Clip Filters" in ND, IR, Underwater, and Astro varieties that sit behind the wide-angle lenses. They are not without some clip-in issues though, and seem to differ from camera-to-camera. My Pen-F is the easiest for them to snap into for some reason.

Astro one here: https://www.mu-43.com/threads/stc-clip-in-filter.107688/

Another about modifying them a bit here to install easier: https://www.mu-43.com/threads/stc-ir-nd64-6-stop-neutral-density-clip-filter.108025/#post-1379200

STC Clip Filters website: https://stcoptics.com/en/clip_filter/

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom