1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

How fast is your internet connection

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by BillN, Sep 11, 2010.

1. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    We are in rural France, so 1 mega download and max of 150k upload - I have registered to get this improved to maybe 2 mega, but we are a long way from the telephone exchange and have to rely on "copper wires"

VOIP - i.e. Skype is OK on "good days" as are internet telephone calls - but these can be tricky in the evening, (when we need the service).

Once or twice a year the phone line get "blown down" and France Telecom come to the rescue, (in a fashion).

Been like this for 10 year - I don't reckon that it will ever improve as there are only 4 house in the "hameau" (hamlet)

You lucky people with cable!!!!

2. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    The downside is we don't get to live in a rural French hamlet!!!!

Tradeoffs, tradeoffs, tradeoffs!

I'll trade you my internet connection for your place in a French hamlet, ok?? :cool:

Have you looked into satellite? Might be the only way to get faster in a rural area.

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  3. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Yes, I think I would like to offer my Verizon Fios for living where you live Bill. Perhaps when we exchange houses, you could take care of our cats because we'd want to bring our dog with us to France.:biggrin:

I'm sure it is frustrating but what about the idea of satellite? A friend of mine in Maine uses that method and I believe it's quite good.

4. G1 User

G1 User Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 20, 2010
    I live in Central Indiana, USA
    I have a Cable Connection, and pay for the 3rd out of a 5 tier speed option
    20Mb/s upload, 4Mb/s download On great days (or time of day)
    But the average is 15Mb/s Upload, 3Mb/s Download

4th tier = 50Mb/s upload
    5th tier = 100M/s upload

5. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    G1 user... surely you have your upload/download figures the wrong way round - download rate is usually higher than the upload

I have 30M/b cable download and 1.5M/b upload

by the way.... speedtest.net is a great site for testing your connection and how you compare to your ISP. Very slick site - free and no BS - highly recommended

K

6. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2010
    Australia
    ADSL here, I get around 13 Mbps down, just under 1 Mbps up (actual speeds).

7. Krang

Krang Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    I have a theoretical 100/100M, with network "TiVo" that now has 627gb of shows recorded and I have no clue what is the limit. It also has a video rental service with fullHD capabilities.

If you test the speed it's something like 30/15M. There's not that much that you can do with the speed. It's not like The Internet is really fast, the bottlenecks are everywhere :D

8. StephenL

StephenL Mu-43 Regular

Sep 1, 2010
    We get 3 Mb down on a good day with a following wind, and 300k up. Rural Scotland but only 12 miles from the capital!

9. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    I usually get about 14 down and a steady 2 up from Cablevision (NJ cable co). The speed is OK and the bandwith is decent. I can have my torrents running and everyone else can still use the internet.

I've toyed around with the idea of getting FiOS but not crazy about having to use their router. Plus adding two more boxes on the side of my house.

10. linkedit

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    uh....... 15 up is pretty amazing. if you can't do anything with that speed then you most likely have an issue somewhere.

i don't really trust those download sites like speedtest.net, speakeasy.net. those are flash based apps that often do not give the correct speeds. when i was running kaspersky antivirus i would test speeds and it would show 65meg down lol (impossible of course with a DOCSIS 2 cable modem) with antivirus off it would show the normal speeds.

the best way to check dl speed is to download a large file from the internet, like microsoft, or adobe.

11. DDG

DDG Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2010
    by the way.... speedtest.net is a great site for testing your connection and how you compare to your ISP. Very slick site - free and no BS - highly recommended

K[/QUOTE]

Yes, I used to use that all the time, but it's been a quite a while since I even wondered what my internet speed is. It's Comcast cable, so it's nowhere near the Fios level, I'm sure. Let me check...

...upload is 2.34mb/s, and download is (wow!) 21.30mb/s. The last time I remember checking, download was something like 6mb/s. Well, very once in a while, you get a nice surprise, I guess.

12. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Yeah, I haven't checked in a pretty long time. Since it got SO EFFING FAST I didn't care about the details. We have Comcast also. Years ago we switched from Comcast to FIOS and it was a pretty big difference. Then we moved and could only get Comcast and it wasn't great. But its gotten a LOT better. Now the FIOS folks are in our neighborhood and trying to sign us up but I'm not interested. I can upload 1mg shots to Flickr pretty much instantly. Downloading music and movies on the occasions I do that it more than fast enough. I just don't care about the details when it works this well.

-Ray

13. G1 User

G1 User Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 20, 2010
    Your Right,
    Download is around 20Mb/s
    Upload is around 4Mb/s
    And yes, I do use Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test (Carmal, In).
    Thanks for pointing that out.
    Must be dyslexic at times :drinks:

14. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Download roughly 25 Mbps, upload around 5 Mbps for me with Cox.

15. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    With speedtest.net I am getting 19mb down and 4mb up.

16. riveredger

riveredger Mu-43 Regular

Aug 30, 2010
    Northern NJ
    Fios rocks :)

[​IMG]

17. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Hughes satellite internet

We've had satellite internet for years, because it was the only thing available. I just checked it on Speedtest.net and got 0.85 Mb/s download and 0.14 Mb/s upload, and that's probably about right. The two biggest problems we have are the unreliable service, and the download threshold they impose on their customers. We sometimes lose our connection for days on end even though there's not a cloud in the sky. And although we have their upgraded service, we're still limited to 450 Mb of downloads per day. Everybody in the house has a computer, and a few Windows updates can easily push us over that. When you go over your limit, they reduce your bandwidth to slower than dial up for 24 hours...or you can pay $10.50 to reset it.

18. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Is McDaniel College sucking up all the bandwidth for illegal downloads? ;)

You must be outside of the town limits I assume.

19. linkedit

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    this stinks

i'm moving in 2 months, may be time to switch to fios......

20. Krang

Krang Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    It's not like most servers are capable of speeds in that range. Allways when I upload to my own website it's around 2M. Only thing you could use that speed is file sharing, but I don't really do that so often. Also some larger services like vimeo have some nice speed…