How far post processing has come.....

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
A long time ago and far, far away I did professional commercial work. The studio used large studio cameras and extremely large rooms full of large video tape controllers for editing (think $$$$$ per hour). Jump ahead 30 years.

I edit on a PC and use Vegas PRO because I started with Movie Studio and went to Vegas, muscle memory and the speed with which I could do short projects on Vegas was a key advantage for me. My editing platform is now a i7700 4200/4400 OC, 32 gig fast ram, AMD480 8 gig GPU and a large monitor and large 4K TV (to view the final product).

4K has a lot of post production benefits for 1080P delivery but can be a bear to render if you've done a lot of post processing. After the new release of a Vegas PRO version that is no longer a problem. Vegas has not been the best at rendering using the full power of the GPU processing.

I am getting 1:1 rendering (or very close) on 100 mps 4K. Processors are around 90% GPU around 75-85% (I have 6 fans & liquid cooling). Seriously if I were still doing anything but stock (which is pretty much lightly edited) I would be in heaven. It used to take 4 or 5 times the project length to render. The codec is a Magix proprietary one, but then you can easily render to a delivery codec after the production render.

As someone who has been in and out of the "film/video" production field over the last 4 decades, this is really, really amazing. The big thing is that I am starting on some location videos which is a long arch project and this will probably save me literally thousands of hours over a 5 year project period. All this for the cost of a computer/software/cameras/lenses that cost less than one studio session in the late 70's - truly amazing.

SystemAgnostic

Mu-43 Rookie
Good thread.

The biggest change to me is the effects and the quality of what you can do. Simple things like putting text on the screen. Look at a TV clip from 30 years ago, and it looks so amateurish, so incredibly simple. Yet that was the best that money could buy. Now basically any video editing software software, including a lot of free open source software, can look better. Blender - entirely open source and free - can be used to create entire movies in quality practically equal to a major studio - or at least from a decade or so ago.

I remember when the Amiga Toaster came out, and it revolutionized what you could achieve with only a few thousand dollars. And that looks so antiquated now. Ha!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom