How far can an OMD be submerged?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Promit, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Yes, I know it's not designed for it. Yes, I know water pressure changes the game by a lot. Yes, I should probably use a GoPro. But how far down can an OMD go, assuming it's as tough as an E5? Inches? Six feet in a swimming pool?
  2. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    With the chlorine (and or salt), I'd say about 0 feet.

3. rfortson

rfortson Mu-43 Veteran

0 feet. It's splash proof, not water proof.
  4. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    There's no way I would purposely submerge any "weather-sealed" camera, regardless of whether it's in a swimming pool or in deionized, distilled water. While it might survive a brief dunk, why would you want to subject it to that?
  5. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Right. Weather sealed, not water-proof. There is -- or will be -- an underwater housing for it, though.
  6. dcassat

dcassat Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2011
    I would appreciate it if you would test it for us. If the test fails, you can take it apart and tell us what the sensor is!
  7. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Yeah, it's not made to be submerged, it's made to be OK shooting in the rain or something. Even with a weathersealed body and lens, if you're shooting in heavy rain for any length of time, I'd put a rain sleeve on it.
  8. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Stick a ruler in the water. Start movie recording and film the ruler as submerge the camera. The last frame will tell you how far you can go before the camera breaks.
    • Like Like x 9
  9. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    No, your all wrong it can be submerged as deep as you want, it just won't work anymore. Oh maybe that will effect your curiosity, and your wallet.
  10. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    Ask Digital Rev to do it in their reviews. Maybe itll hold up like the D7000
    • Like Like x 1
  11. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    :wink: well there is a reason why they're making an underwater housing.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. wolfie

wolfie Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2009
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Actual submersion experience

As a slightly serious reply - my Pentax K-7 and the kit WR zoom took a swim when I was crossing a river. I estimate the camera went at least 12 inches (30 cm) underwater for approx 5 seconds and came through OK.

I certainly would not recommend it, and esp not to push any buttons or try zooming the lens if it was!

However a year later the camera body seals over the ports and battery were failing and the lens was showing signs of water ingress.

Olympus has better reputation for its sealing integrity ... and longevity, but it aint no submarine.

That said, it is about time they put an M43 sensor in a tough cam body.
  13. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    GoPro it is. I thought the OMD might be fun while swimming but I guess not.
  14. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    The problem is that even if it does in fact work for one (or even many) person at certain depths (IMO unlikely), if you're unlucky and it fails, you'll be SOL with regard to the warranty.

15. CPWarner

CPWarner Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2010
    Note that the original "surf" housing for the GoPro did not perform optically very well under water. The dome on the housing distorted the images at the corners badly. They have a new housing for underwater use that resolves this and allows one to use red filters to color correct.
  16. TDP

TDP Guest

Kai and company abused a 7D, the results are surprising

[ame=]Canon 7D - Hardcore Durability Test - YouTube[/ame]

I own a 5DII and some L glass and the EM5 seems to have bigger seals on the parts you can see.
  17. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    I have seen an Oly rep dunk an E-3 with 12-60 into an aquarium...can you do the same thing with the EM5, who knows. I'd say yes, but even though I have two of them I'm not willing to put it to the test!
  18. Manila Man

Manila Man Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2011
    How much rain is covered by warranty? Being weather sealed, it is hard to determine the limits of use. Rain is weather. If I shoot in pouring rain and the camera gets screwed is that covered by warranty. Seams to me that any water damage will eventually be the user's fault.
  19. Al.

Al. Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
    And if a camera takes a dunk, take the batteries out in the first instance
  20. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    I've heard the worst thing to do is to turn it on to see if it works. Remove the batteries, let it dry for a reasonable time after wiping it off. THEN put the batteries in and try it.