How else would you shoot this frame in these conditions?

Real Name
Amol
Harsh sunlight in the front, dark room otherwise. I tried all metering modes but nothing worked. What would you do in this situation? I would have liked more uniform lighting and details around but couldn't make it work.
Here is the edited image.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Bushboy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Charlie
I don’t have the faintest idea.
But I am surprised a photographer like you does not carry your tripod, everywhere.... the little travel tripods are fantastic.
Anyway it’s a cute pic. I like it.
You could crop away some of the ceiling without loosing anything but boring pixels too.
Sweet post because I take these kind of pics regularly, now I know, HDR and fill flash. :) thanks guys.

Real Name
Amol
I don’t have the faintest idea.
But I am surprised a photographer like you does not carry your tripod, everywhere.... the little travel tripods are fantastic.
Anyway it’s a cute pic. I like it.
You could crop away some of the ceiling without loosing anything but boring pixels too.
Sweet post because I take these kind of pics regularly, now I know, HDR and fill flash. :) thanks guys.
I'll be honest, I hated carrying even the smallest of tripods (or even any other accessories like flash) with my Nikon and other gear and when I realized how effective Oly's IBIS was, I thought dangggg this is liberty I always wanted.
But of course some things *do* need tripod :) thanks for the suggestion, I'll do a tighter crop and see how it looks. Oh and BTW I also used Dxo lab's viewpoint plug in. The distortion on sooc image was unreal, but Dxo fixed it like magic.

Edit: forget accessories, there have been few times when I carried my Z6... Without XQD card in it and ended up shooting with my phone. Dual SD cards may have different benefits to people, for me it's a boon just because I can afford to forget cards at home and still shoot somehow 😋😅

Last edited:

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
Harsh sunlight in the front, dark room otherwise. I tried all metering modes but nothing worked. What would you do in this situation? I would have liked more uniform lighting and details around but couldn't make it work.
Here is the edited image.

View attachment 776384
Quite honestly I would expose for the outdoor scene and let the indoors exposure fall where it might. I think the image you have here is quite good - it maintains the focus on the mountain but shows something of the room.

Flash, interesting. I will try that! I did have flash with diffuser with me for my 60mm macro.
I don't use a lot of flash, but I would think that you would need to pay extra attention to the reflections off of the window in this scenario, or at least be mindful of your angles. To be honest, though, I don't think you need much shadow detail in the foreground, since the subject is the outside.

If you're open to general C&C.... I would crop this image to 2:1 to get rid of the majority of the ceiling (I don't think it adds to the image), just leaving a portion of the horizontal shadow at the bottom (so that the height is ~ the same as the vertical pillar shadows). Double check the horizon angle with all of those lines in the image. Then I would let the room shadows go to black. If you're extra crafty, you could clone out the ceiling fixtures just outside of the window.

Edit: @ac12 beat me to the punch, sorry for the duplicate advice.

edergira

New to Mu-43
Real Name
Filip
+1 for bracketing in this case.
I'm sure you could also pull a bit more shadow detail out of a single image if necessary without making it look too awful. RAW would work much better of course.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

LilSebastian

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
John
To add to the suggestions above which are very good, if JPEG output is ok why not use your highlight and shadow curves for the single shot? That or go to gradation in your SCP and choose Auto which will lift your shadows a bit.

Bushboy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Charlie
Haha. Yup, once I walked way up into the mountains to take a rare orchid pic, and yup, you guessed it, no memory card... :)
Handheld in cam HDR doesn’t work for me either. I’ve only just started using it, but results sucked. Mushy and unsharp. Next time I use it, I’m gonna try the tripod and see if that’s better.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom