1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

How effective is the hood for the 12-50 for keeping rain off the front element?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by LowriderS10, Sep 25, 2014.

1. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Hey all,

So I'm thinking of getting a hood for my 12-50, but it's really expensive (I know, there are some third party ones, and I'm considering those, but in general for hoods I prefer OEM, as they tend to have better fitment).

The only real reason I want it is to keep rain off the front element...I love that the lens/body (E-M5) are weather resistant, and it's held up to quite a bit of rain for me, so I'm very confident in using it in less than ideal environments). But...I always have to be careful with the front element, which is a bit of an annoyance. I have an extra UV filter kicking around at home that I might toss on there during the rain, so I wipe that and not the front element, but keeping rain off of it in the first place would be the best.

I know that every rain is unique, but I'm looking for a GENERAL CONSENSUS...in your experience...how useful (or useless) has the hood been in keeping the front element dry?

Thanks!

2. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    The Olympus hood is quite shallow. I'm guessing here because I haven't used the lens in the rain. The hood would keep rain off if the rain was coming from behind you and it would probably keep rain off if the rain was falling vertically and you didn't tilt the lens up a bit. If the rain was coming from the front at an angle it would not keep it off the front element of the lens unless the angle was extremely close to vertical.

There's 3 situations there and a different answer to each. Sorry about that but it is an extremely shallow lens hood and that means everything depends on the rain and where it's coming from.

• Like Like x 1
  3. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Thanks, yeah, I mean I figured as much, that's why I was hoping someone with experience could chime in. :)

4. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Get a lens hood and a B&W MRC filter. This combination has served me well, not only in my news and sports work where I've had rain, mud and even champagne sprayed on me, my camera and lens/lenses; but also when in the bush in all manner of conditions. The hood provides a degree of protection, the B&W filter allows you to wipe the filter with whatever is handy and pretty much leaves it smear free and allows you to continue to shoot.

5. The original rectangular hood is not much help at all, but then it was designed for the 9-18mm. The new petal hood looks more useful.

• Like Like x 1
  6. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    There's a new hood for the 12-50? My comments above relate to the original rectangular hood.

7. LH-55C is the model number for the new hood.

• Like Like x 2
  8. ahinesdesign

ahinesdesign Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2011
    NC, USA
    Aaron
    The rectangular hood won't do much to keep rain or other things off the front element - its just not deep enough to protect it...

• Like Like x 1
  9. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    The original hood is basically useless. I haven't tried the new one.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    If you mostly want to keep off rain, why not buy a B+W rubber hood? They collapse easily so you can just push it back when shooting wide angle. This would probably provide a bit more rain protection than the stock hood.

--Ken

• Like Like x 1
  11. Mohun

Mohun Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2012
    It seems to me that designing any lens hood for a zoom lens is challenging, the more extreme the zoom, the more challenging. The 12-50 is a 4X zoom and one would have to design a hood of compromises that must be cognizant of both vignetting and glare, and the hood within an acceptable size. I wonder if anyone has designed a really effective hood for a "super-zoom?"

12. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Thanks, yeah, I know IN GENERAL they're good, this isn't my first rodeo. :) I've shot tons in bad weather, and had everything from seaspray to fire retardant on my lenses lol...but I'm wondering specifically about this lens/hood combo. :)

Huh...I didn't even know there was a new hood...thanks! :)

Wicked, thanks, I just had a look, it definitely looks much more useful for the rain, as it has a far bigger top portion! I'll see if I can grab one somewhere. Do you know if it can be stored reversed?

That's what I was afraid of...thanks for commenting! :)

Too bad...thank you! :)

Hmm....I haven't thought of that...might be a good option. I'm just generally weary of hoods that need to thread onto plastic filter threads. Plus, if I run a UV filter as well, it might get too thick and would just have to take off/put on constantly...

13. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Thirty seven dollars.

*throws tomato at Olympus*

EDIT: $45 in Korea. Ridiculous.

14. snaper

snaper Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 24, 2014
    Germany, Mannheim
    Hello all, I am new here in this forum.

I just bought the 12-50 and a LH-55C as an all day compilation for my e-m10. I can confirm that the JJC Hood also works very well with the m.Zuiko 9-18. It is much more useful than the Olympus hood!

• Like Like x 1
  15. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Thanks for the info!

Does the JJC fit well? (Not loose?) Can you store it backwards on the lens?

The JJC is still very expensive, but at least not $45! :)

16. snaper

snaper Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 24, 2014
    Germany, Mannheim
    Yes, backwards is possible. Fit's good enough not perfect! I bought it on Ebay for about 17€ which is approx. 22$. Shippind included.

• Like Like x 1
  17. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Thank you again! And why not perfect? Is it wobbly/loose?

18. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
  19. ahinesdesign

ahinesdesign Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2011
    NC, USA
    Aaron
    The JJC hood that I have for my 12-50 is far from loose, quite the opposite. It takes more force to install or remove than any other lens hood I've ever used. No worries about it being accidentally knocked off...

• Like Like x 1
  20. snaper

snaper Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 24, 2014
    Germany, Mannheim
    When backwards mounted just the lock position is not as perfect as on the original hood. But up to now I havn't lost it. Don't worry I am sure you'll be happy with the hood of JJC.
    If you want I can send you some pictures when I am back from work in a few hours.

• Like Like x 1