1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

How does the Panasonic EVF compare to the Sony EVF?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Johnny1.33, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Johnny1.33

Johnny1.33 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2011
    Since I can't see an EVF on Panasonic where I live but can on the Sony A33, does anyone know how the Sony EVF compares to the Panasonic EVF on say the GH2? That's the closest comparison I can think of to the upcoming G3.

Thanks.

2. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    There are people with both, there are people with technical opinions.
    All I can say is I tried both the Lumix G1 (mine) and Sony A55 (theirs) in a Sony shop and couldn't tell the difference. This, and the reputed similarity of the Olympus VF-2 makes me think they get the internals from the same source. (Epson innit?)

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The Olympus VF-2 accessory EVF and the integrated EVF of the G1 are both much higher resolution than the Panasonic LVF accessory viewfinder. How much difference this makes to the actual person is to be determined, but the Olympus VF-2 and Panasonic integrated EVFs are 1.44 million dots, while the Panasonic LVF is only 202k dots.

Don't ask me why these varying resolutions are used. For instance, why has Olympus been using 230k and now 460k LCD screens when they have a 960k LCD on the E-5 and even their XZ-1 high-end point-and-shoot has a 614k OLED screen? Perhaps it has something to do with varying degrees of battery life and refresh rates to keep up with the action? Who knows... I do know that my E-PL2 (with 460k screen) seems to require battery changes far more frequently than my E-P1 did (with 230k screen). I have 3 batteries though, so I'm not particularly worried. ;)

4. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    In terms of clarity, I'd give the slight edge to the EVF on the A55 over the GH2. They very very close though. However, Oly's add-on VF2 is still the best.

On the other hand, the A55's EVF does a far better job of providing accurate exposure and WB preview. On the GH2, depending on lighting conditions, the output that I see after the photo is taken (even on the EVF itself) is totally off from what I was seeing as I was pressing the shutter.

5. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I think, from his previous posts, that he was more concerned about blackout

6. Johnny1.33

Johnny1.33 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2011
    In this post I am thinking more about how it looks. I tested the blackout part with the Sony and a Canon 60D. I find the OVF more natural but it too "blacks out." It's just different between the two.