1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

How Does The Olympus E-P5 ISO Dial Wheel Work?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Timza, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Timza

Timza Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 12, 2016
    Tim
    I am interested in the Olympus E-P5. It is important for me to find out how turning a dial wheel of the Olympus E-P5 when assigned to ISO works. With my current Canon G15, when I push the shutter half way down in Av aperture priority mode, the back screen shows the exposure aperture and shutter speed. When I turn the front dial for aperture the visible aperture and shutter on the screen changes as the aperture changes. But, when I want to change ISO, I have to tap the back wheel up, then the exposure disappears when the ISO band comes up, and I push left or right arrow or scroll the back wheel, then have to press the back wheel up again to select the ISO, but when the ISO band disappears, the exposure is gone, and I have to press the shutter halfway again. I can fool the camera by not selecting ISO and instead pressing the shutter button halfway, and then the ISO band disappears and I see a new exposure, but when the exposure disappears I am back to my ISO band because I did not actually select ISO. So I select ISO and go about taking the picture. I don't like this. I want when I dial wheel my ISO for the visible exposure to change just like when I dial wheel my aperture in Av and my shutter speed in Tv.

With the Olympus E-P5, when I turn a dial wheel for ISO is the aperture and shutter exposure visible?

When I stop turning the dial wheel for ISO does the ISO selection band disappear by itself, or do I have to push a selection button to select ISO, and when I do, does my previously showing exposure show up without having to press the shutter again?

I would be willing to assign the movie button to exposure lock, if I need exposure to be locked to work how I want. I want to turn the aperture dial to set Av, flip the 1 2 switch over, then turn the front dial for for ISO, then turn the back dial for exposure compensation. How easy is all that?

On another point and shoot I have when I press the back wheel left to get the flash settings, I keep pressing the back wheel left to then highlight the flash setting I want, and then all I have to do is wait a moment, and the camera selects the highlighted flash setting and the flash setting dialog disappears. I don't have to push "select". Does the E-P5 ISO work that way?

2. Timza

Timza Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 12, 2016
    Tim
    I came to the Canon G15 from point and shoots. And now I want better images from a larger sensor but also want dials. I of course started looking at the 1 inch sensor, fixed lens compacts, but the reviews for the smaller compact fixed lens cameras seem to all complain about the lack of control dials and slow auto focus, so I started looking at the Fuji X-T1 and Olympus E-M1. I liked the dials but did not really like the humps. Then I learned about the Olympus E-PL5 and P5, and really like the rangefinder look. When I found out about the 2 x 2 programmable dials of the P5 with the 1 2 lever, I got more interested because I really don't like the back merry-go-round wheels, and the more I thought about it the more I liked dials for my right finger and right thumb much more than looking at the top of the camera. I know that back in the day they liked looked down at the camera and seeing all the settings, but this is today and turning programmable dials while looking at the back screen is where I am.

So. Pros for me: Front programmable dial. Rear programmable dial. 1 2 lever. Programmable settings to the top mode dial. Hot shoe. No EVF. Rangefinder style. Fast autofocus. Image Stabilization. 1 inch or bigger sensor. Rear touch to focus and take picture screen. Rear folding screen. Good AEB options.

I liked the larger sensor and look of the Canon G7X, but the Olympus E-P5 has better dials, a hot shoe, and better auto focus.

3. Timza

Timza Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 12, 2016
    Tim
    One more thing. I wanted to say how crazy camera reviews are. Reviews of the Canon G7X complain that the camera does not have a built in EVF, but Canon makes the G5X! Reviews of the Olympus E-P5 complain that the camera does not have a built in EVF, but Olympus makes the E-M5 and now E-M1! I do realize that there is something special about the Sony A6000 and Panasonic GX7 design both with the front grip and the far left EVF that gives your nose room, but that does not mean that there is not room in the world for the E-PL5 and E-P5.

4. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran

The E-P5 has a two position switch that changes what the front and rear dials do. In position 1 the dials change exposure and aperture/shutter speed, whilst in position 2 the dials change white balance and ISO. I'm pretty sure that the shutter speed and aperture values update automatically on the screen when you change ISO, you don't need to half press the shutter to update the values.

5. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran

The E-P5 is a very nice camera, which I did use to own. I found that I always had an EVF attached and in the end I swapped it for an E-m10 ii.

6. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    I just checked on my E-P5 in Aperture priority mode... Yes, if the 2-way switch is set to position 2 (ISO/WB) then when you turn the ISO dial wheel the ISO band appears along the bottom of the screen but the other exposure settings (shutter, aperture, exposure comp) still appear in a small box above the ISO selection band. As you adjust the ISO, you can see the shutter speed change as it maintains exposure for your chosen aperture.

When you stop the dial on your preferred ISO, you don't need to do anything else to "select" that ISO just like you don't need to "select" an aperture or shutter speed as you dial it in. The ISO selection band does eventually go away (5-6 seconds) and the normal exposure values are displayed at the bottom of the screen. But I usually don't wait, once I've got ISO I'm usually on to shooting or I flip the 1/2 switch back to 1 to get back to direct aperture/shutter control.

Hope that helps! The E-P5 is really an excellent model, not very popular because it was perceived as too expensive at the time. At today's used/closeout prices it's worth looking into especially if you don't think you need an EVF. I much prefer the flip-down touchscreen to the articulating one that's showing up in some of the newer models.

7. kreegah bundolo

kreegah bundolo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 25, 2013
    Sweden, north of the dalälv
    Johan
    There are at least three ways to adjust ISO on P5, the switch in mode 2 allows front dial to change ISO, also right arrow allows both dials and right/left arrow to adjust ISO, and finally through SCP.