1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

How does the GX7's IBIS fare in your eyes?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by dissembled, Dec 19, 2014.

1. dissembled

dissembled Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2013
    NJ
    A. Quia
    I don't own a single u4/3 lens at the moment so I can't discern for myself, sadly. How do you think the Gx7's IBIS fares? Is it very effective? Perhaps adequate enough? Or does it fare pretty poorly?

2. lightning

lightning Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2012
    Kerava, Finland
    I have managed to get sharp photos with the Oly 45mm 1/13 which is pretty good, actually as good as my 12-35 Power OIS.

(There is some chromatic aberration in this photo, but that was my mistake i done in lightroom)

<a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/graphiksi/15717769119" title="P1280098-2 by M S, on Flickr">[​IMG]"800" height="601" alt="P1280098-2"></a>

1/5 is still "ok"

<a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/graphiksi/15878072806" title="P1280080 by M S, on Flickr"> 15878072806_31ae8f24c2_c. "793" height="800" alt="P1280080"></a>

IMO and my experience is that its better than people say on the internet.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    That's between 3-4 stops, which is actually pretty impressive.

My only concern about the GX7's IBIS would really be in guaranteeing it's consistency. I'd prefer something that I knew I could 100% rely on for 1 or maybe 2 stops of improvement rather than something that sometimes gave me 3 stops, but sometimes didn't work at 2 stops.

4. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    What are wishing to compare the GX7 to? No IBIS? E-M1? Panasonic's OIS? And how would you define adequate enough? It is a somewhat relative question, and there have been pages and pages of discussion about this subject in other threads with little consensus. A few more parameters might help you get some more useful information. But even then, the debate is almost akin to Ford vs. Chevy or Coke vs. Pepsi. The GX7 has many loyal fans.

Good luck,

--Ken

5. lightning

lightning Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2012
    Kerava, Finland
    Perhaps "manage to get" was wrong way to say it. 1/13 - 1/15 is pretty much guaranteed to get sharp shots (45mm), that is my experience.

I just tested it a while ago, just for fun. Since its night here in Finland, my dog is sleeping and she is great "model" for this IBIS testing. I took several photos, all 1/13 hand held, sharp shots. It just works this way. But maybe if IBIS is very important to you, Oly 5-axis could be the correct choice. As far as i have understood, its pretty impressive.

Anyway, took this for you just a few min ago:

<a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/graphiksi/15437012764" title="P1290866 by M S, on Flickr"> 15437012764_a62ee77715_c. "800" height="601" alt="P1290866"></a>

• Like Like x 1
  6. Turbofrog

Mar 21, 2014
    That is definitely a good result. Makes me feel even better about my plan to upgrade my GX1 to a GX7.

7. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Here is a shot I took of my daughter on Halloween... It was dark and we used the light from one of the booths at Disneyland.. I used the Dynamic Monochrome setting... SOOC!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  8. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    I haven't done any real testing, but I use my Olympus lenses (17/1.8, 45/1.8, 14-42/4.0-5.6, even the 40-150/4.0-5.6) interchangeably on the E-M1 and GX7, with the exception of the FT 50-200/2.8-3.5. I don't notice any difference in stabilization.

9. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Apparently, the various camera IS systems deliver different results for different people. Therefore, threads like this are not much use because nothing anyone writes about their experience of a particular IS system is necessarily applicable to YOU. So, why write it at all?

If your lenses are not µ4/3, you should be able to activate the GX7 IBIS and answer this for yourself, surely?

10. dissembled

dissembled Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2013
    NJ
    A. Quia
    My GX7 is still wrapped as it's a Christmas present from my mother. I also don't own any lenses for it as of yet, native or otherwise, so I can't see for myself. I'm asking for others to share their experiences with the IBIS as I'm interested on how it fares, from person to person.

11. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
  12. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    In light of how you are receiving your camera, and assuming that you are not planning on returning or exchanging your gift, I will give you an abbreviated answer. The GX7' s is a camera that has many remarkable design and performance features, hence the loyal following. The IBIS is certainly better than having nothing, and it varies from person to person and lens to lens as to its effectiveness. Weather it is as good as, or better than Olympus' IBIS system is always a topic of debate, but that should tell you something right there. Even if it is not as good, the fact that people are making comparisons tells you that it is a reasonable system.

We have the ability to see the good, or the faults, in anything. And no camera is perfect. So why not focus on the good in the GX7 that many seem to enjoy, and you can learn how well the IBIS system works for you after you unwrap it next week? IMHO, the GX7 is a camera with personality. If I received one as a gift, I would be tickled pink, and would immediately begin working on printing a very large image from it to send along with a thank you note. After all, what would you do if your thread was filled with posts saying that the IBIS system was horrible?

Good luck,

--Ken

• Like Like x 2
  13. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    give the guy a break. He just wants to know roughly how effective the GX7 IBIS is, I don't think that is an unreasonable question.

• Like Like x 5
  14. TucsonLawrence

TucsonLawrence Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2013
    Tucson
    Lawrence Richards
    the trick to re-sealing the paper on a package is to slit the tape with a razor blade and then re-tape over top when you seal it back up... ;)

Mine is wrapped now too-- but not before I opened and tried it out for 5 minutes "to make sure it worked" (my wife timed it and took away the camera when the timer dinged) I'm not allowed to look at it any more until Christmas... :(

now where did I put that razor blade....

Lawrence

• Like Like x 1
  15. dissembled

dissembled Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2013
    NJ
    A. Quia

I was able to play with mine too for several minutes to ensure it wasn't defective. :biggrin:
    Sadly though, I'm lensless at the moment so I couldn't even capture a frame as of yet. I'm currently researching normal primes right now. I can't afford one yet but I'm saving my pennies.

16. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Do you have some primes in mind, or do you need any recommendations? Do you know to watch for refurbished sales if you are interested in buying lenses that way? The Olympus outlet is always worth watching if you are trying to stretch a budget. And does your GX7 have a kit zoom to use in the meantime?

--Ken

17. dissembled

dissembled Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2013
    NJ
    A. Quia
    No, not even a kit lens, sadly.

I'm considering saving up for either the P 17 , O 25 or even the PL 25. I'm leaning more towards the Olympus 25 though I'm still a bit uncertain at the moment.

Regardless, I plan to purchase the lens new. Used gear is enticing but I have OCD and hate even the most minute scratches on my equipment.

18. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Nice prime choices. I would give the Olympus refurbished lenses a chance, especially when they have an additional 20% off sale. Most merchandies they ship looks brand new, and they offer a return policy if you are not satisfied. My E-M1 and 12-40 had absolutely no marks, and have worked fine, and you can easily pick up an extended warranty if you wish. Regarding a kit lens, you can probably pick up one on the forum quite cheaply if you are not going to pick up a prime immediately. Many people buy kits for the body, and they then sell new lenses to recoup some cash. Either way, I hope you can get your hands on some glass soon to start enjoying your GX7. I am presently awash in Olympus bodies, but I still cannot shake the desire to pick up a GX7. It is a beautiful camera that packs a lot of performance into a small body.

--Ken

19. Al.

Al. Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
    Alan
    No OCD for me , every camera and lens I have owned has been second hand, but then again I am tough on equipment, my original GF1 has bits broken off it, but it still produces

20. Turbofrog

Mar 21, 2014
    I'm perfectly happy with open box, refurbished, used, or anything else...in fact, I often prefer it because once it has a scratch on it I'm a lot less precious about it, so coming pre-scratched is a bit of a bonus.

That said, I did just buy my GX7 new, but that's only because it was as cheap or cheaper than anything I could find used.