how does the Godox wireless system compare to others?

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by DanS, Jan 12, 2018 at 1:14 PM.

1. DanS

DanS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    I've never really used flash much, but in a few months I will have a strong need for one, so I've been doing a lot of research lately. Before I take the plunge, I want to find a system than will grow with me from a single on camera speedlight, all the way up to multiple off camera flash groups with ttl and hhs support etc.

From what I've seen so far Gordox seems to be the only manufacture producing wireless (non optical) flashes, that integrates well with MFT. It looks like all the other manufactures would require the purchase of 3rd party transmitters and receivers like pocket wizards.

Is Gordox the only one or do other manufactures have a system that doesn't require external transmitters and receivers?

2. CyVan

CyVan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2016
    Jamaica
    So far Godox is the most affordable and scales from single small flashes like the TT350 all the way up to 1200ws adapters for their AD600 strobes, all controllable from a single transmitter.

3. exakta

exakta Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Nissin has a radio system as well. It has far fewer flashes than Godox (today only 2 that I know of) and no studio lights at all. That's probably why we read about it much less here. The Nissin flashes are also much more expensive, whether that means they are built better and worth the money or not I have no idea.

4. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Godox's system is the largest and cheapest and scales all the way from speedlights up to studio strobes. So, it's the most popular.

Nissin Air only has built-in triggers on two of their speedlights (i60A and i700A), and no larger lights, and is more expensive, but the UI is arguably nicer than Godox's.

Cactus V6II does TTL/HSS triggering with legacy TTL gear of multiple systems, and is the only one that also supports Pentax. But their speedlights are not TTL on-camera.

Broncolor doesn't support MFT, but I think Elinchrom does. But no speedlights, just studio strobes.

And there's always Profoto, if you win the lottery or can sell a kidney. :D They have only one speedlight in the system, and it's $1000. :)

The Yongnuo 622/-RT, Phottix Odin, and Jinbei/Orlit TR-Q6 systems do not support four thirds. But I'd look to see if the Jinbei system adds it in the future.

5. DanS

DanS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    I'm personally Ok with the Nissan prices, what bothered me was that the Air 10s has been delayed for almost a year. It makes me question how committed they are to the system. B&H currently lists them as being available sometime in February.

6. DanS

DanS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL

I'm kind of surprised more manufactures haven't jumped onto the cross manufacture bandwagon. 2.4Ghz chips are dirt cheap, you can get them from consumer outlets like digikey for a few bucks, not to mention how cheap other circuity components are. Being able to mix and match speedlights across camera manufactures, and not needing external receivers for each of them, seems like it would be a lot less of a hassle.

7. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Less hassle for the user. A LOT more hassle for the reverse-engineer. Just being able to b'cast on 2.4GHz is the easy part of the battle and the least significant (hell, everything uses 2.4GHz: your microwave, the garage door, bluetooth, wi-fi, etc. etc.). Having to suss out each and every proprietary hotshoe signalling protocol and then merge them all together into a coherent/consistent translated single system is really tough. Witness the multiple firmware fix updates Godox goes through. And note how nobody but Cactus wants to add Pentax.

And, let's face it, multiple-system shooters are rarer than single-system shooters. Or were, until mirrorless. :D

But, having been reading the Strobist since it started in 2006, I will also say, once upon a time, RadioPopper were the only TTL/HSS triggers in town. So, things do change. And relatively quickly.

Yongnuo, however, has to get the "single system" thing right, before they can even go for cross-brand. [facepalm].

8. exakta

exakta Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    As soon as they choose to go with radio, the third party mfrs have a huge incentive to have a protocol that can acommodate every posisble camera system, even if the end user only uses flashes meant for his system. Otherwise, they have a lot more software to maintain.

9. Repp

Repp Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    That’s the thing though, remote ttl/hss has really only been available for a few years now from 3rd party companies, and Godox and cactus were really the first to try for cross brand compatibility starting about 2 years ago, and they are still working out the kinks.

• Agree Agree x 1