1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

how does the Godox wireless system compare to others?

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by DanS, Jan 12, 2018.

1. DanS

DanS Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    I've never really used flash much, but in a few months I will have a strong need for one, so I've been doing a lot of research lately. Before I take the plunge, I want to find a system than will grow with me from a single on camera speedlight, all the way up to multiple off camera flash groups with ttl and hhs support etc.

From what I've seen so far Gordox seems to be the only manufacture producing wireless (non optical) flashes, that integrates well with MFT. It looks like all the other manufactures would require the purchase of 3rd party transmitters and receivers like pocket wizards.

Is Gordox the only one or do other manufactures have a system that doesn't require external transmitters and receivers?

2. CyVan

CyVan Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 9, 2016
    Jamaica
    So far Godox is the most affordable and scales from single small flashes like the TT350 all the way up to 1200ws adapters for their AD600 strobes, all controllable from a single transmitter.

3. exakta

exakta Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Jun 2, 2015
    Nissin has a radio system as well. It has far fewer flashes than Godox (today only 2 that I know of) and no studio lights at all. That's probably why we read about it much less here. The Nissin flashes are also much more expensive, whether that means they are built better and worth the money or not I have no idea.

4. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Godox's system is the largest and cheapest and scales all the way from speedlights up to studio strobes. So, it's the most popular.

Nissin Air only has built-in triggers on two of their speedlights (i60A and i700A), and no larger lights, and is more expensive, but the UI is arguably nicer than Godox's.

Cactus V6II does TTL/HSS triggering with legacy TTL gear of multiple systems, and is the only one that also supports Pentax. But their speedlights are not TTL on-camera.

Broncolor doesn't support MFT, but I think Elinchrom does. But no speedlights, just studio strobes.

And there's always Profoto, if you win the lottery or can sell a kidney. :D  They have only one speedlight in the system, and it's $1000. :) 

The Yongnuo 622/-RT, Phottix Odin, and Jinbei/Orlit TR-Q6 systems do not support four thirds. But I'd look to see if the Jinbei system adds it in the future.

5. DanS

DanS Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    I'm personally Ok with the Nissan prices, what bothered me was that the Air 10s has been delayed for almost a year. It makes me question how committed they are to the system. B&H currently lists them as being available sometime in February.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. DanS

DanS Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL

I'm kind of surprised more manufactures haven't jumped onto the cross manufacture bandwagon. 2.4Ghz chips are dirt cheap, you can get them from consumer outlets like digikey for a few bucks, not to mention how cheap other circuity components are. Being able to mix and match speedlights across camera manufactures, and not needing external receivers for each of them, seems like it would be a lot less of a hassle.

7. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Less hassle for the user. A LOT more hassle for the reverse-engineer. Just being able to b'cast on 2.4GHz is the easy part of the battle and the least significant (hell, everything uses 2.4GHz: your microwave, the garage door, bluetooth, wi-fi, etc. etc.). Having to suss out each and every proprietary hotshoe signalling protocol and then merge them all together into a coherent/consistent translated single system is really tough. Witness the multiple firmware fix updates Godox goes through. And note how nobody but Cactus wants to add Pentax.

And, let's face it, multiple-system shooters are rarer than single-system shooters. Or were, until mirrorless. :D 

But, having been reading the Strobist since it started in 2006, I will also say, once upon a time, RadioPopper were the only TTL/HSS triggers in town. So, things do change. And relatively quickly.

Yongnuo, however, has to get the "single system" thing right, before they can even go for cross-brand. [facepalm].

8. exakta

exakta Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Jun 2, 2015
    As soon as they choose to go with radio, the third party mfrs have a huge incentive to have a protocol that can acommodate every posisble camera system, even if the end user only uses flashes meant for his system. Otherwise, they have a lot more software to maintain.

9. Repp

Repp Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Seoul, South Korea
    That’s the thing though, remote ttl/hss has really only been available for a few years now from 3rd party companies, and Godox and cactus were really the first to try for cross brand compatibility starting about 2 years ago, and they are still working out the kinks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Clint

Clint Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    The Godox system for Panasonic/Olympus using TTL and manual, with a large choice of flash/speedlights (from $60-$200), with built in radio receivers, and the ability to use a flash units as a master transmitter, and then adding in studio type strobes that functions with the same transmitters and receivers - is the only system that can do all of this.

However multiple off camera units all in TTL, can get very complicated and produce unexpected results. It is usual better to have no more than one unit TTL, all other in manual.

The all manual Youngnuo's YN560 IV manual & HSS flash with the Yongnuo YN560-TX Wireless Flash Controller can get you in the door very inexpensively with very reliable gear. Two flashes and transmitter with the ability to control per and flash zoom from camera position, for well under $200. You can match this with Godox units.

11. DanS

DanS Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    I don't think I'd ever use more than one, if that. I just like the idea of having the flexibility of using individual units however I want.

I try to stick to the buy once cry once school of thought.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  12. Orbmiser

Orbmiser Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2017
    Portland,Or.
    Yep considering the Godox TT350O as a flash. Tho read in another thread about uneven blob lighting?
    Also wondering if I should go ahead and get the Godox X1T-O also for $46 more?
    For when wanting to use flash off-shoe. And when if I end up adding additional flashes.

Further checking and just a tad more is the TT6850 may be a better purchase.
    I'm assuming that is a good start Flash & Trigger?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  13. Repp

Repp Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Seoul, South Korea
    Lol, I own 5 TTL godox lights (2x AD200s, 2x V860s, TT350) and I don't think I've even tried using one off camera in TTL. It's probably something that I should learn to do, just to have it up my sleeve... Manual is just so much easier to wrap my head around

14. genesimmons

genesimmons Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2017
    i recently picked up a godox 685 and xt1 controller, i am learning off camera flash techniques, i have had some mis fires with it though, the red light on the flash showing ready was on and it didnt fire, the 2nd time i try then it fires, happens 1 in a hundred shots so kinda often, not sure if its me or my technique or controller issue, the xt1 was a warehouse deal from amazon, maybe thats why it was retunrned

15. CyVan

CyVan Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 9, 2016
    Jamaica
    I've had this happen too. Make sure you're not too close to the transmitter (within 2 ft) when firing the flash. I've done events with this combo handheld but off-camera and found out that there's a way to toggle 'close proximity mode' on the transmitter. Turn off the X1T. Turn it back on while holding the 'Test' button. You should see the status light blink twice to confirm.

I've had surprising good results using TTL at a recent wedding where the lighting conditions varied randomly and widely.

16. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Houston
    I recently picked up the V860ii and X1T and used the V860ii for the first time last Saturday in my kayak. So far I am really happy with it’s performance and plan on getting at least 1 if not 2 more speed lights. Didn’t play with the X1T but hoping to do that soon and it will be very handy when I put some mounts on the kayak for the speed lights to get them off camera. I also plan to add at least 2 AD600’s over the next year, going to need the power for some ideas I have for photographing gators.

Hoping to write up a post for tomorrow showing the results I got on some birds with the flash.

17. CyVan

CyVan Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 9, 2016
    Jamaica
    I'd love to see those. For the 600's , maybe you could pair it with CheetahStand Colt 45's. They're supposedly good at throwing the light great distances:
    Cheetah High Performance Colt 45 Reflector

upload_2018-1-18_9-42-51.

18. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Houston
    thanks for the link, will have to keep those in mind when I get the AD600's.

I have picked out the photos to edit but have only edited two. I need to finish editing the photos and write up the post. Here is a sneak peak at one of the images (only one uploaded to Flickr so far). Photo was taken with my ZD 150mm f2.0 while slowly drifting towards the egret and it's probably one of the best exposed photos I have taken of a white bird. I am pissed that I not only chopped off a toe but was not level, which resulted in more of his foot getting chopped off when I leveled it. Really wanted to shoot it wide-open but had to stop down to f3.2 to get a proper exposure, one of the downfalls of having such a bright lens (can't shoot wide-open in bright light). I really like the amount of texture and detail I was able to capture using the flash.

EM1 w/ ZD 150mm f2.0 - ISO 200, 1/8000 @ f3.2, Godox V860ii w/ Better Beamer, handheld from drifting kayak, only crop is from leveling photograph
    24875769727_3ba47ce6ec_k.
    Great Egret 001
    by RRcoleJR Photography, on Flickr

Hope to have the post up tomorrow, will be in the nature section if you are interested in seeing the rest.

Ronnie

• Like Like x 4
  19. DanS

DanS Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    From what I've read the TT350O isn't powerful enough to cove all possible use cases, and the TT685O is a little to heavy for on camera work.

I think I'm going to get a TT350O and a TT685O as first as they can both act as a wireless master or a slave. I'm Going to skip on the X1T-O, and hold out for a Pan/Oly version of the XPRO, that I think @inkista@inkista mentioned in a different thread was a little easier to use and had more features.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. Orbmiser

Orbmiser Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2017
    Portland,Or.
    Thanks! @DanS@DanS something to consider. As no hurries as will be a few months most likely.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.