1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

how does the gf1 hold up in 2015?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by cacadepollo, Dec 31, 2015.

1. cacadepollo

cacadepollo Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 6, 2015
    SoCal
    I've been looking for a used 20mm 1.7 lens, and I came across one where they are selling with a gf1. i know nothing about the gf1, but I'm curious how much of a difference it is in image quality versus the m43 cameras of today.

do any of you still shoot with a gf1?

2. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    I do, and I quite enjoy using it with the 20mm. The camera and sensor might not be competitive anymore in strict terms, but the combo you're looking at is still a joy to shoot - quite responsive, with impressive IQ in good light. I use it with the - admittedly sub-par - EVF for some not-too-serious shooting on the go, and I definitely like the handling. The lens performs very well, too, so it's worth having, with the body as a bonus (if it's in reasonably good condition, that is).

M.

3. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    I still use my E-P1 which is slightly more 'challenged' than the GF1 when it comes to performance.

You can still get nice images out of it in the right conditions.

You can also go for a gritty look for urban/street shooting; I hear some people liken the high-ISO noise to be very film-grain like. Just take a look at what Daido Moriyamas achieved with old film Ricoh GR's and B&W film.

Just consider the GF1 a fancy lens cap for the 20 and bite the bullet ;-)
    Apart from focus-speed, its a superb lens.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. MoonMind

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    You know, from feel alone, even the focus speed of the 20mm is okay on the GF1 - because focussing is smooth and reliable.

And what phigmov says about high ISO grain is true - when converted to B&W at least; chroma noise is pretty ugly above ISO 800. But again, if you limit yourself to using the camera in conditions it can handle, it produces worthwhile images.

M.

5. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    The real questions are "how much is he asking?" and "what do you currently have?".

If either you currently have one of the smaller bodies or he's asking more than seems reasonable, i would pass. But after a quick look on ebay it seems like some are selling the body almost as an addon to the lens. And the GF1 + 20mm is a reasonable jacket pocket option if you shoot something larger as your main body.

6. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

I still have mine and give it a run every now and again. The 20mm is definitely the perfect lens for it. Some of my favourite shots have been taken with that combo... :thumbup:

It's also compatible with an eyefi SD card, unlike my EPM1...

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. MoonMind

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    You actually can use EyeFi cards with the E-PM1, starting with firmware v1.1 ... I know this for a fact, I bought an EyeFi card explicitely for the E-PM1. I know there were some functional limitations, though (no control over the camera itself whatsoever), but basic connectivity did work - somewhat flakily, but correctly.

M.

8. cacadepollo

cacadepollo Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 6, 2015
    SoCal
    I currently have a GH4, with a 12-35 2.8 & 35-100 2.8. BUT, my 12-35 has been at the Panasonic's horrendous service center in McAllen, TX for cleaning for over 3 months, and I've been feeling desperate in having a shorter focal length to use until i get my beloved lens back.

I saw the ad for the lens for 175, but if I purchase it in addition with the GF1, it's 200. I figure maybe I could get both, and have the gf1 as a backup for when I need to send my gh4 for cleaning, because for all I know it will take half a year for it to come back to me...

I don't even know if 175 for the 20mm is a good deal - i guess i should look around on ebay to assess that.

9. MoonMind

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    I'd say that it may not be a fantastic deal, but if the lens is in decent shape, it may be fair enough, and the $25 for the body are actually a no-brainer. Around here, prices are generally higher than in the U.S., but I could almost get it at the price you indicate ... maybe $30 or so higher. Have you researched the used market as to what price those lenses usually go for? It's well worth owning, but this particular offer might be a bit high.

M.

10. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Anywhere between $140 and $180 seems to be a reasonable price for the version 1 depending on condition and accessories. So $20-$40 for the GF1 seems like a good deal. And since you're other body is about the biggest m4/3 body there is..... The GF1 + 20mm might be a fun option.

11. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

Cool, I'll have to check the firmware and give it another try...

I put it in the E-PM1 when I first got it and couldn't get it to pump out a signal so I just swapped it back to my GF1...