How does the EPL2 compare to the EP1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by PSimmons, Jul 27, 2011.

1. PSimmons

PSimmons Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 24, 2010
    Central Florida
    Is there anyone out there who has owned/shot with both? Is it a worthwhile upgrade? Are the focusing and LCD improved? I'm assuming IQ will be the same when you factor in they both have the same sensor. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I have had both. The E-PL2 has a better LCD, is more responsive and has better AF performance than the E-P1. IMHO the physical control layout is a bit better on the E-P1 (the extra thumbwheel is nice). The E-PL2 of course can use the VF2 and other accessories that use the accessory port. The build quality on the E-P1 is superior but the build on the E-PL2 is quite good. Is it an upgrade? Yes I'd say so...but it really depends what you are looking for.

I don't know that I would trade my E-P1 for an E-PL2 but I that's because I really like the build quality and the design of the E-P1 and the improvements of the E-PL2 aren't something I have a need for as I have a second body that has an EVF etc.

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Actually, the Image Quality is improved on the E-PL2, and quite significantly IMHO (but I have pretty stringent standards). It uses a much weaker AA filter than the E-P1, and what allows that is the Trupic V+ Image Processor with Fine Detail Processing, which processes out the pseudo color, moire patterns, and aliasing instead of the AA filter. The images on the E-PL2 are sharper, but what yoy'll notice more is the lack of chroma and luminance noise at high ISO. The E-PL2 uses the same imaging technology as the E-5 pro DSLR.

The improved LCD resolution and AF speed, along with overall faster responsiveness, is also very welcome. Especially if you do a lot of manual focusing, then the high res LCD is really umportant. It almost takes over from the pentaprism viewfinder of a pro-grade DSLR.

To me, the E-PL2 was quite a significant upgrade over the E-P1. add the ability to use an external 3.5 mm stereo mic (via the EMA-1 adapter) for video....

4. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    Hijacking but the epl2 vs gf1?

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I do!'t own the GF-1, but what I would say from just playing around with it is that it is fast and responsive like the E-PL2 but a lot noisier at high ISO. The LCD quality is the same.