How does the Auto-ISO algorithm work?

connloyalist

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Christine
As the title says, I was wondering: When I have auto-ISO turned on, how does my E-M5 Mark II decide how far to push the ISO? Does it try for a specific shutter speed? It seems to adjust the ISO to make shutter speed come in around 1/100s ~ 1/125s? I couldn't tell any difference between IBIS turned on or off. I use manual lenses so I thought perhaps it takes the focal length set in the IBIS menu into account. No, not that I can tell.

Does anyone have any insight here?

Regards, C.

Giiba

Something to someone somewhere
It is not very smart...

You can effect it in 'P' mode by adjusting the slow limit speed in flash settings, and the camera will try to keep that as a minimum before raising the iso. In other modes it does as it pleases with no regard for things like ibis.

ac12

Mu-43 All-Pro
Depends on which camera and which shutter mode.

In P mode:

EM1-mk1 and EM10-mk2
  • mechanical shutter; shutter speed drops to 1 / (FL x 2), then the ISO starts going up.
  • electronic/silent shutter; shutter speed drops to a stupid slow 1/13 sec, then the ISO starts going up.
    • On these cameras, do NOT use the e-shutter on Auto ISO in low light in P mode.
    • As far as I am concerned, this is a firmware BUG.
EM1-mk2
  • mechanical shutter; shutter speed drops to 1 / (FL x 2), then the ISO starts going up.
  • electronic/silent shutter; same as the mechanical shutter
  • 3rd option is a user defined min shutter speed, where the ISO would start going up.
I have no idea how Auto ISO works with a manual lens.
Unless you tell the camera what lens you have on it, it won't know the FL to compute the min shutter speed.

connloyalist

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Christine
In theory, with a manual lens they could assume the flocal length set for the image stabilizer is the focal length to be used for this calculation?

Regards, C.

KBeezie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Karl Blessing
I would imagine with a manual lens (least the way that makes sense to me), assuming that you haven't set a focal length into the IBIS setting :

- Aperture continues top open as needed until it hits maximum
- Shutter begins to drop as needed until it hits the slowest set (in this case I'd imagine something like 1/30th, but I know you can sometimes force it by changing the flash slow-sync speed higher)
- When both Aperture is at it's maximum limit, and Shutter at it's slowest set, the ISO goes up.

But I doubt that's how it actually works, and I usually shoot manually anyways in which case auto-ISO would just simply raise til my exposure is centered.

ac12

Mu-43 All-Pro
@ac12 thanks, that's very informative. I had no idea my two camera bodies (em10.ii and em1.ii) were following a different algorythm to set the ISO. Any idea on how this works on Pen-F?
For the mechanical shutter, the EM10-mk2 and EM1-mk2 work the same. It is with the electronic shutter that they differ.
Basically the EM1-mk2 fixed a bug that is in the EM10-mk2 and EM1-mk1.

Nope, don't have a Pen-F to test. I would guess the same as the EM1-mk1.

Rob Trek

Mu-43 Regular
Hi. I made a video some time ago on auto-iso for the E-M10ii and PenF. I think it's still relavent but I plan on updating it with some of the finer points mentioned in this thread.

ac12

Mu-43 All-Pro
Rob, it appears that a firmware update on the EM10-mk2 updated the Auto ISO logic, to utilize lens FL to set the shutter speed floor. 1/(FL x 2).

I suggest that you do a mechanical and electronic/silent shutter instruction also.
I use the e-shutter at a concert, for no noise. And that is where I ran into the LOW shutter speed floor on the EM1-mk1.
I have yet to hear back from Olympus on this bug.
I did not test for the bug in A or S modes.

Rob Trek

Mu-43 Regular
Rob, it appears that a firmware update on the EM10-mk2 updated the Auto ISO logic, to utilize lens FL to set the shutter speed floor. 1/(FL x 2).

I suggest that you do a mechanical and electronic/silent shutter instruction also.
I use the e-shutter at a concert, for no noise. And that is where I ran into the LOW shutter speed floor on the EM1-mk1.
I have yet to hear back from Olympus on this bug.
I did not test for the bug in A or S modes.
Yes, I noticed the shutter is slower in silent mode on my em10ii. It also affects A mode, but not S mode. Personally, I prefer the slower shutter speed but it needs to be consistent regardless of shutter mode.

barry13

Mu-43.com Editor
Real Name
Barry
As the title says, I was wondering: When I have auto-ISO turned on, how does my E-M5 Mark II decide how far to push the ISO? Does it try for a specific shutter speed? It seems to adjust the ISO to make shutter speed come in around 1/100s ~ 1/125s? I couldn't tell any difference between IBIS turned on or off. I use manual lenses so I thought perhaps it takes the focal length set in the IBIS menu into account. No, not that I can tell.
Hi, I was using a 45mm adapted lens today (IBIS set to 48mm on my E-M1 mkI, firmware 4.x), and the body wouldn't drop the shutter below 1/125s in Aperture mode. Playing with it some more, it seems that the IBIS setting has no affect on min shutter speed, and it will hover between 1/100 and 1/125 in low light (until it hits the high ISO limit; mine is set to ISO 8000).

S-Osolin

Mu-43 Rookie
From my observations, auto iso is somewhat dependant on lenses. When on shorter range of up to 50mm it will constantly dip to 1/60s, while higher up at around 100mm, it'll rarely go under 1/160. I'd guess that it defaults to some some middle when it doesn't know what focal lens it's got.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom