How does Procapture on Panasonic lenses work? Is it useful?

zanydroid

Mu-43 Regular
I wanted to confirm my understanding of how Procapture would work on non-Olympus lens
- Half press shutter will start buffering frames with the current focus point, no AF-C updates
- Full press shutter will switch to normal AF-C behavior, i.e. burst with AF/AE adjustments per frame.

Does BBF press during Procapture cause a S-AF adjustment to the focus point?

What are the general thoughts around the value of Procapture on non-Olympus lenses? Theory-crafting, it feels like it would be better than nothing (possibly a lot better than nothing even for situations like waiting for a bird to take off, since your first few frames will probably be reasonably focused even without AF-C).

zanydroid

Mu-43 Regular
You are limited to ProH mode (at least with the Panny lens I have just checked) so focus and exposure is set on the first frame and will not change.
Thanks for checking! And (per common sense), while the shutter is pressed it behaves in normal AF-C?

Is the ProH frame rate and frame number limit adjustable? I don't think I want much more than ~10 fps / 10 frames total

djtaylor7

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
David
With firmware 3.1 I can adjust Max fps (15 to 60), Pre shutter frames and Frame count limiter.

As this is Sequential H I was under the impression that the focus was set at the beginning and there was no refocussing while the shutter was pressed. I think that is a feature of Sequential L. However I may be corrected.

zanydroid

Mu-43 Regular
No, it won't focus at all after the initial focus. Same as Sequential High.
Ouch, I knew that Procapture on non-Olympus lenses locks on the first frame for the pre-release frames, but not getting AF-C after release would mean that I have to toggle Procapture on and off depending on the situation. That is highly suboptimal.

Growltiger

Mu-43 All-Pro
Ouch, I knew that Procapture on non-Olympus lenses locks on the first frame for the pre-release frames, but not getting AF-C after release would mean that I have to toggle Procapture on and off depending on the situation. That is highly suboptimal.
ProCapture L works very well. But you need to get an Olympus lens.

zanydroid

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks everyone. Finally got a EM1.2 to trial, and I can now see that Procapture L/H is enabled as a drive mode on its own, so Procapture H can't be "combined" with Sequential L as I was hoping.

That is a silly limitation clever way for Olympus to sell more lenses.

djtaylor7

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
David
You are thinking of it the wrong way round. ProCapL is a subset of Sequential L, and ProCap H is a subset of sequential H. So no combination; sorry.

Bear in mind that when the E-M1 Mkii came out ProCap (L and H) only worked with Olympus MFT lenses. Firmware updates have given us enhancements to the function.

Growltiger

Mu-43 All-Pro
There are almost certainly some lenses ProCapL would not work on, and where the camera can't tell. There would be loads of complaints about the camera. Better if they restrict it to what definitely works. Not everything is a conspiracy.

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
There are almost certainly some lenses ProCapL would not work on, and where the camera can't tell. There would be loads of complaints about the camera. Better if they restrict it to what definitely works. Not everything is a conspiracy.
Considering C-AF sequential-L with silent shutter works just fine, I'm pretty sure it's a marketing decision to sell Olympus lenses...

zanydroid

Mu-43 Regular
There are definitely things they can implement with just some firmware changes, since there are no additional stresses on potential bottlenecks like sensor readout. However it would require some additional engineering investment that would be hard to justify to the big bosses since it helps sell Panasonic lenses :) It is certainly true that Olympus isn't going to bother testing 3rd party lenses, but I don't think there's that much effort needed (you can see a similar thing with Sigma/Sony on adapted glass; the adapters and bodies have flexible enough algorithms & performance levels on them to actually work very well on Canon glass, which neither company have a direct incentive to test).

E.g.: suppose you had a random Panasonic lens that can AF traverse fast enough at 18 fps in sequential-L with the e-shutter, with stopping down aperture on each exposure. This is clearly a pretty high performing lens with a fast aperture actuator and fast AF actuators, and should work in ProCap-L (there's no additional bottleneck AFAIK).

Heck, even if you have a slightly lower end lens that can only actuate at 10 fps in Sequential-L, it should work in ProCap-L at 10fps.

Now, stuff like Dual-IS would be more engineering effort, since it requires additional calibration and likely communications protocols that weren't in the original M43 spec. These costs would very likely be incurred for every lens, if not ever lens/camera body combination. That would be tough to justify from a basic feasibility standpoint (ignoring product strategy decisions).

macro

Mu-43 Top Veteran
That is a silly limitation clever way for Olympus to sell more lenses.
Well it's not really just a clever way for Oly to sell Oly lenses, because it works just fine on legacy Canon tele lenses as well and of course, that's manual focus. So I still don't have to buy Oly lenses to use pro-capture ;) :)

When they first brought it out you did need Oly pro lenses from memory, but now it works with any lens, Oly or not. However, when it comes to AF, then I know nothing about it. :)

Danny.

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
Regarding having to stop down the lens - there's nothing about pro-capture that requires the lens to actually deliver the FPS - that's just a maximum the camera tries for. If it doesn't have AF lock it must slow down (with release priority off), even for Olympus lenses. So if a lens can't keep up, it shouldn't matter. I reiterate, non-Olympus lenses work just fine in the 18 FPS electronic shutter sequential-L with full C-AF, metering adjustment and stopping down for each frame, they just don't necessarily hit the FPS target. I'll bet plenty of Olympus lenses can't even hit 18 FPS when having to stop down and AF.

Regarding sync-IS - again, it doesn't matter. Plenty of Olympus lenses don't even have IS.

They really just need to delete the line of code that says 'if (is_olympus())'...

As for whether pro-capture is still useful with a Panasonic lens - yes:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

zanydroid

Mu-43 Regular
Regarding having to stop down the lens - there's nothing about pro-capture that requires the lens to actually deliver the FPS - that's just a maximum the camera tries for. If it doesn't have AF lock it must slow down (with release priority off), even for Olympus lenses. So if a lens can't keep up, it shouldn't matter. I reiterate, non-Olympus lenses work just fine in the 18 FPS electronic shutter sequential-L with full C-AF, metering adjustment and stopping down for each frame, they just don't necessarily hit the FPS target. I'll bet plenty of Olympus lenses can't even hit 18 FPS when having to stop down and AF.

Regarding sync-IS - again, it doesn't matter. Plenty of Olympus lenses don't even have IS.

They really just need to delete the line of code that says 'if (is_olympus())'...

As for whether pro-capture is still useful with a Panasonic lens - yes:

View attachment 763596
Haha, somebody regretted a life choice.

How do you set up your controls so that you can quickly switch between ProCapture H and Sequential L?

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
Haha, somebody regretted a life choice.

How do you set up your controls so that you can quickly switch between ProCapture H and Sequential L?
Sorry the life choice thing is lost on me.

I haven't decided on a way to pick between pro-capture and sequential L yet, other than hitting the drive mode button and turning the dial. Could take up a C mode on the dial I guess. I'm usually on sequential L, pro-capture is for special situations.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom