How does pana 12-35mm lens work with Olympus body

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by rogergu, Feb 11, 2013.

1. rogergu

rogergu Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2013
    Any suggestion? Shall I wait for the unconfirmed Olympus version?
  2. FrayAdjacent

FrayAdjacent Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2012
    Austin, TX
    I hear it works pretty damn well. The optical image stabilization doesn't work, so you'd have to keep it turned off.

I'm kicking around picking one up before I head up to DC and NYC in April... but I want to see what Oly will come out with to compete. Oly SHOULD be able to make something less expensive since they won't include any image stabilization in the lens. I just doubt they'll have anything out before I go on the trip, so the Pan 12-35 will probably be the default option. I'm sure the IQ will not disappoint if the lens sample thread is any indication!
  3. C6REW

C6REW Mu-43 Regular

Feb 3, 2013
    Devizes, Wiltshire, UK
    Chris Grew
    It is an awesome lens.

I needed a 24 - 70 and 70 - 200 in place of my Nikon fast lenses for the OMD.

Bought both and very pleased with them. Only been out once and happy with he results. When you consider I use a Nikon D3X and D3S, the new combination needs to be good and it is.

4. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    That's not correct. The OIS works fine on the E-M5. The only restriction is that you can't enable both IS in the lens and IS in the body at the same time.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    He means in the lens.. the lens-based stabilization..
  6. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    You can always wait for "whats next". is always going to be "better" than actual stuff.

But If you want to take pictures today, then I think its an AWESOME zoom lens, if not the best mid range zoom lens within the format!. I love mine!. cant say a bad word about it, only recommend it to anyone!.
  7. C6REW

C6REW Mu-43 Regular

Feb 3, 2013
    Devizes, Wiltshire, UK
    Chris Grew
    Never turn off the IS in the OMD EM5 body in place of the IS on the lens.

The body IS is so incredible. Probably the best available.

8. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    I don't think you lose out very much on lenses like 12-35, and 35-100. If you need the zoom versatility and constant aperture buy with confidence.
  9. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Well yes, but you can still use the IS in the lens if you turn the IS in the body off. I find the OIS on the 100-300 works a little better than the IBIS, although it may be user error. It's not any worse, in any case.
  10. dshipp

dshipp Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 15, 2011
    Works great

I've just come back from a 9 week trip where I exclusively used the Panasonic 12-35mm and 45-175mm lenses on my OM-D E-M5, to shoot in excess of 7000 photos.

Both combinations worked flawlessly and AF is very fast. I doubt you'd notice any difference in how they behave compared to using on a Pana body.

Having the option of a weather sealed combo was great. I didn't need it much but when it starts to rain or you're getting a bit of spray on a boat, it's nice to have that confidence.

The 12-35mm is a stunning lens and I've got some beautiful, sharp photos. F2.8, ISO5000 and the IBIS work really well for things like night markets. Yes, I'd prefer to be using a lower ISO and F2.0 but not if that makes the lens bigger and heavier. Noise can be sorted in post.

It's a little on the heavy side but it balances well with the OM-D and I was happy using a wrist strap to carry my camera while walking around all day. So don't worry about the weight.

I was a little resistant to spending so much money on the lens, but having used it almost daily for 2 months it was an excellent purchase that I don't regret.

I have 20mm and 45mm primes and decided not to take them so I would have a simpler system and could swap lenses less often. I didn't miss either of them . I also have the 9-18mm m.zuiko, but I've found the 12mm end to be plenty wide enough. While the 45mm especially is a lens I keep coming back to, as a walk around lens, the 12-35mm is my first choice.
    • Like Like x 3
  11. tol1l1yboy

tol1l1yboy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 12, 2013
  12. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    awesome little zoom lens :)